Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 12:13 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Then you would favor the eradication of all horses,as they serve no actual purpose in modern society?
Horses are poor converters of feed to weight,they are only no longer needed in modern society,and so could be totally removed for the betterment of resource management....

Of course,what another does with their resources is not your concern...right?

So you do not believe you have any say in what others do with their private property?
When gas gets to $10 a gallon, horses will be looked at again with new eyes, and not as dinner.
Can we say water wars?
You have heard of that, have you not?
When what they do on their property affects mine, yes, I do have a say.
My nearest neighbor has been dumping paint and oil onto his property, and since the runoff comes onto my land, yes, I have a say in what he is doing.
The county government agreed with me, so.......do you think I should have just taken my shotgun over there and told him how the hawg et the cabbage and left the authorities out of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
GnT - Even by my standards that is depressing but, unfortunately, probably correct.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
When gas gets to $10 a gallon, horses will be looked at again with new eyes, and not as dinner.
Well I WAS being facetious...
Thing is,I like horses well enough,had some growing up,they are a pretty major commitment however since the darned things live so long,something people don't seem to realise.

Quote:
Can we say water wars?
You have heard of that, have you not?
Are you seriously basing your position on the of slaughtering of horses in the USA upon a possible future war over water?

Quote:
When what they do on their property affects mine, yes, I do have a say.
But breeding their horses(private property) has no effect upon you.

Quote:
My nearest neighbor has been dumping paint and oil onto his property, and since the runoff comes onto my land, yes, I have a say in what he is doing.
IF it directly impacts you,it is your business true,otherwise it is not.

Quote:
The county government agreed with me, so.......do you think I should have just taken my shotgun over there and told him how the hawg et the cabbage and left the authorities out of it?
No idea what you are talking about...again IF it is directly impacting your property,you have a say,if not you do not.

A person who breeds horses(even the dreaded backyard breeder) doesn't affect you.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Are you seriously basing your position on the of slaughtering of horses in the USA upon a possible future war over water?
Dont be ridiculous, I was replying to this part of your post.
Have you not heard what is already going on out West, and in Michigan? Thats not a possibility, its happening.

Quote:
Of course,what another does with their resources is not your concern...right?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:52 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Well said, like you I've owned a lot of horses and 1 mule(loved that mule btw) and live in an area where they are popular. Within the last 4 years as people loose their jobs, homes etc because of the economy we have had a HUGE rash of people abandoning their horses on the side of the road or taking them to trail riding areas in hopes they can survive. A good friend of mine who is a trainer said it's become a real problem and people can no longer care for them and have few options. Equine rescues are few and are so overwhelmed there is long waiting lists and now they only can take those that will be "marketable". I agree, slaughter needs to be done humanely as possible (Temple Grandin comes to mind and her inventions for cattle), my only hope is they don't go after the free range Mustangs that were the victims of whole sale slaughter for decades until the laws changed, there are plenty of horses that would meet the criteria without going after the Mustangs.
This was my first thought, that it was about the wild horses. It's sad, that it's even a topic regardless

Old 12-01-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Dont be ridiculous, I was replying to this part of your post.
Have you not heard what is already going on out West, and in Michigan? Thats not a possibility, its happening.
It is THEIR resource to use correct?
It might not be to YOUR liking but then,it isn't your concern.

It would be nice to see each poster state their position on the topic of the slaughter of horses becoming legal again in the USA,to give some logical and if possible factual basis to their position.

Mine position is this.

The slaughter of horses is little different to the slaughter of any other livestock,the same regulations and rules should apply per the various gov. agencies.

It is much more preferable the slaughter happen here in the USA than in Mexico or Canada,which causes the horses to be transported long distances and in the case of out southern neighbor,to a nation with iffy regulations regarding the slaughtering of animals.

The reason this is needed at all is simply there are too many horses,from what I have found,somewhere in the vicinity of 100,000 a year are unwanted.
Unless we want to ban the breeding of horses except under government supervision there isn't much to be done about that,it just is.

And then there is the matter of it not being anyone else's business what others do with their personal private property,in essence,mind your own business.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
This was my first thought, that it was about the wild horses. It's sad, that it's even a topic regardless
Yes, thats what its all about, because the ranchers want to graze the cattle and sheep on the land the horses are on.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, thats what its all about, because the ranchers want to graze the cattle and sheep on the land the horses are on.
Well except it isn't really.
But I guess that is the new tactic since appealing to emotions has failed...

There are according to that poster,30,000 wild horses.

But there are over 100,000 unwanted horses in the USA,EVERY YEAR.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 PM

417 posts, read 365,652 times
When Obama legalizes horse ****ing, then we'll talk.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:10 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
You're mighty cranky today, whats up with that?
As far as regulation, yeah, I'd like to regulate the hell outta the irresponsible backyard breeders.
Perhaps a license fee imposed at the state level, if the fee were high enough, some of this nonsense would be eliminated.
We agree again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies