Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,920,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Huh? There is NO doubt obama is "leading from behind" on this. You think Bernake would make this move without the consent of obama?
Yes, absolutely. The Federal Reserve acts on its own and answers to nobody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,620,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I always stated that I am in the forum to learn, I have not the slightest idea what this means :

The Federal Open Market Committee has authorized an extension of the existing temporary U.S. dollar liquidity swap arrangements with the Bank of Canada, the Bank of England, the Bank of Japan, the European Central Bank, and the Swiss National Bank through February 1, 2013. The rate on these swap arrangements has been reduced from the U.S. dollar OIS rate plus 100 basis points to the OIS rate plus 50 basis points.

I would highly appreciate if someone could dumb this down for me and explain.
as i understand it --

we're accepting some of our trading partners' bond risk (Japan, Europe, Canada), in exchange for some of our own bond risk. Bond risk, being one way of measuring "inflation."

It is a way of spreading out the risk of interest rate changes (and thus stabilizing currency fluctuations) across multiple economies with different currencies.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,581,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
as i understand it --

we're accepting some of our trading partners' bond risk (Japan, Europe, Canada), in exchange for some of our own bond risk. Bond risk, being one way of measuring "inflation."

It is a way of spreading out the risk of inflation across multiple economies with different currencies.

Which are all tied back to the US Dollar. Meaning it is just smoke and mirrors.
Commodities and metals will rise in cost.
This will be a hit on the poor & middle classes the most.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,620,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Which are all tied back to the US Dollar. Meaning it is just smoke and mirrors.
Commodities and metals will rise in cost.
This will be a hit on the poor & middle classes the most.
i don't really know.

i mean obviously the European banks are in serious trouble due to european soveriegn debt. Capital is pulling out of that market, which is making it difficult for europeans to acquire dollars. I'm not sure what role the yen plays in this, they want to weaken their currency as i understand it.

but to me there's nothing wrong with accepting some of the risk of Canadian and Swiss interest rate risk, in exchange for American dollar interest rate risk.. assuming i'm understanding this correctly.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 12-01-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 07:50 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,819,899 times
Helicopter Ben...he has all the answers.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,362,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i don't really know.

i mean obviously the European banks are in serious trouble due to european soveriegn debt. Capital is pulling out of that market, which is making it difficult for europeans to acquire dollars. I'm not sure what role the yen plays in this, they want to weaken their currency as i understand it.

but to me there's nothing wrong with accepting some of the risk of Canadian and Swiss interest rate risk, in exchange for American dollar interest rate risk.. assuming i'm understanding this correctly.
Found this article saying about the same thing :

Quote:
The Federal Reserve, the European Central Bank, the Bank of England, the Bank of Canada, the Bank of Japan and the Swiss National Bank have announced a coordinated plan to provide liquidity support to the global financial system. According to the plan, the Federal Reserve is going to substantially reduce the interest rate that it charges the European Central Bank to borrow dollars. In turn, that will enable the ECB to lend dollars to European banks at a much cheaper rate.
That is a good dumb downed version for me.

Here is some info that I been kicking around in my head about inflation, you know how it goes more USD in circulation chasing around the same amount of goods. Then there is this :

Quote:
Neither the dollars nor the Euros come from anywhere. They aren’t moved or debited from anywhere. They are invented right on the spot with a few taps on the key pad. And that’s all. There’s no printing press fired up to make new dollars or euros.
This is sometimes called “fiat money.” But that makes it sound as if some command from a sovereign created the money. It’s really closer to “keyboard money,” since it is created by data entry in a computer.
What Have The Central Banks Of The World Done Now?

It's not like Uncle Ben was up all night printing USD and shipped it out Fed Ex over night. The supposed USD is not even in circulation it is just a computer entry at this point. All this is like a obnoxious cyber monopoly game that can give a person a headache thinking about it.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Zerohedge has an article about this latest big move by central banks. Even China got involved.
Could have been one of the big European banks not able to make its liquidity demands.
This could have been a stealth bailout of a big European bank.

Did A Large European Bank Almost Fail Last Night? | ZeroHedge

Old 12-01-2011, 08:17 PM

656 posts, read 647,963 times
Bernanke went to MIT. He knows what he's doing.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,581,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Guess what folks?

We are skrewed!

The poor will be hit the hardest. The middle class will suffer and the elite will just not by a new Ferrari this year.

The printing presses are going to bailout Europe.

Bye-Bye Miss American Pie!
Actually If we make loans, we get to collect the interest. What are you talking about?

Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually If we make loans, we get to collect the interest. What are you talking about?
But if we have to borrow the money to provide the money to make the loan we have to pay interest.

The US does not have a surplus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies