Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 04:38 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,435,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Where do you get all this utter nonsense from?
Why dismiss it without explaining what's nonsense about what I posted.

So typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 04:38 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,369,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post

I present to you....the LAW of Gravitation

The Universal Law of Gravitation

Can you fail any harder right now??

100% of the scientific community will look at you like a fool if you try and refute gravity...
I'll just address this little strawman statement first.

You wrote Gravity is a "LAW".

I said gravity itself isn't a Law.

Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation isn't gravity itself, it's a mathematical formula that describes observed phenomena.

You just sounded silly saying gravity itself is a law.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:41 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,906,460 times
Quote:
I'll just address this little strawman statement first.

You wrote Gravity is a "LAW".

I said gravity itself isn't a Law.

Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation isn't gravity itself, it's a mathematical formula that describes observed phenomena.

You just sounded silly saying gravity itself is a law.
resorting to....

Semantics.....

What you posted above, how does this supplement your position?

Old 12-03-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
resorting to....

Semantics.....

What you posted above, how does this supplement your position?
If you are going to use scientific terms at least use them correctly.

Of course there is a LAW of gravity (as well as a Theory). It just isn't the actual phenomena itself which is what you stated.

You then used a strawman statement to claim that I claimed there isn't a Law of Gravity. Which is not what I wrote at all.

Last edited by Ceist; 12-03-2011 at 06:09 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 05:20 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,906,460 times
Quote:
If you are going to use scientifc terms at least use them correctly.

Of course there is a LAW of gravity (as well as a Theory). It just isn't the actual phenomena itself which is what you stated.

You then used a strawman statement to claim that I wrote that there isn't a Law of Gravity. Which is not what I wrote at all.
No, I didn't build a strawman at all... In fact, that is what you've done a few times in this thread.

I didn't imply that you refuted gravity... Your friend "Flyero (sp?)" stated that Gravity is a theory too.. And I stated the VERY distinct differences in the studies between Gravity and Homosexuality (doesn't it look silly even SEEING them in the same sentence?)...

If you contest the Theory of Gravity and it's laws....you will probably be classified.

If you contest sexual orientation as a phenotype.. there would be a ton of scientists who would agree with you.

That is what I was saying... no strawman

Old 12-03-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
it doesn't?? It does... it clearly says the study was bunk...

As do I... get to reading...
No. It doesn't. And Which 'study' are you claiming they "clearly" say is "bunk' by the way? There have been many Fraternal Birth Order (FBO) effect studies.

Which suggests you haven't read it yet. Or don't understand it.

The Bearman and Bruckner study is pretty flawed (one could say it's "bunk" itself):

1. The data set they use is drawn from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health) from questionairres given to 12-17 year olds in schools. The adolescents were not even asked about their sexual orientation. (besides the fact that a lot of 12-17 years would not really know for sure yet). That was part of the requirement for the funding of the NLSAH - that the students were not asked their sexual orientation - which means the NLSAH data-set is almost useless for using as a basis in a study supposedly examining sexual orientation.

2. The 'proxy' they used isn't even stable across the age groups. Look at their numbers.

3. They didn't even know the relational status of the genes of the twins. They went on appearance.

4. They state that "our results support the hypothesis that less gendered socialization in early childhood and preadolescence shapes subsequent same-sex romantic preferences" which is completely unsupported considering they didn't even KNOW the socialization of the adolescents because it wasn't part of the data set they used.

5. They claimed that their data-set was more representational than several FBO studies, but they don't mention all of them, and obviously not the most recent ones.

Also, no-one is claiming that the FBO effect works for all gay men. It's only for a percentage of gay men (and not women). And in his 2006 study, Blanchard also discovered the effect only works for gay men who are right-handed not left-handed. Which is certainly interesting given that left-handedness is more common in gay men than straight men. The FBO studies add more weight to the complex combination of genetic and pre-natal hormonal effects as causes for sexual orientation, but they are not in themselves a complete answer. (and no-one is claining that they are)

What were you saying about "Ouch!"???

Last edited by Ceist; 12-03-2011 at 06:16 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 06:07 AM

By the way, did you know that Bearman and Bruckner also used a follow-up survey of the same original NLSHS data-set to show that "virginity pledges" and abstinence only education doesn't work?

http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/1054-139X/PIIS1054139X05000558.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,401,538 times
Quote:
Saint Aelred the *****: The Surprising History of Homosexuality and Homophobia

Saint Aelred the *****: The Surprising History of Homosexuality and Homophobia

Cool... original African men smashed other men... So we should all do it..

Primitive African civilizations ALSO pimped them out...which I guess we should do?

Listen, discussions like this always end up begging the question..

everybody traces back to Ancient Egypt as the origin of humanity. If everything was first, there....is that not the catalyst for all things bad? You cannot get something out of nothing...

The fact is these issues are totally grounded in preference. People would like to cherry pick certain facets of ancient civilizations... in this case, sexuality... But these societies had norms too that the same people advocating for homosexual preference would not. Where do you draw the line?? And when you do start drawing lines you are engaging in something called ?? Preference!

bottom line you cannot draw an ought from an is...

You cannot say "Homosexuality was accepted in ancient Africa" and then say "So we ought to accept it"

No, that is not how it works.
Yet none of these "accepting" African cultures had gay marriage, hmmmm.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Nope. The Wilson and Widom longitudinal study does not show (or even suggest) that homosexuality is caused by childhood sexual abuse as the other poster I was responding to claimed.

I doubt you've even read it or could discuss it.

Last edited by Ceist; 12-03-2011 at 06:43 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Hey so let's go back to that an accept it!! Hey, I think that's awesome! Boys drinking grown mens sperm is beautiful and should totally be accepted behind closed doors...

You do know that men are genetically predisposed to c*mming down boys throats??? They can't help it that that is what they like to do..
Frankly I find it very disturbing, disgusting and barbaric. And it probably became a custom more because the men just liked getting blowjobs and a couple of old mysogynistic men decided to make up some 'religious' crap about women draining a warrior's life-force or some such other drek. But I wasn't making a judgement about it in my post, just that such a tribe with those customs existed. Performing those 'acts' in the name of 'custom' still didn't make either the boys or the men gay.

Last edited by Ceist; 12-03-2011 at 06:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies