Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,191,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its part of the new trend of faking your facebook information for employers as well.
Yeah what makes this doubly pointless is it takes five minutes to set up a dummy faecebook account with your name and no info or followers. Most of my friends have "real" accounts and then the ones they actually use.

When they dropped the university email requirement any sort of account identity certainty went out the window.

Quote:
Highly tech savy companies mainly. They see it as your lack of staying up to date with the latest technology if you don't have a facebook account.
This isn't true at all. I know plenty of software devs who don't use it and several who avoid social media outside of work altogether. Most companies have internal systems in place for work discussion anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 06:53 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Email accounts used to be "new" and not required. Now almost every application asks for one, and your resume better have one. Facebook is the new "email"
No not really. email is what everyone uses every day.

FB is Spam and advertising.....and not all high tech jobs consider it a necessary tool. facebook is a brain drain with photos and ads....its social media.

linkedIn.com has more professional info on it, and businesses use it JUST for business.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times
None of their dayum business.....

Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,464,507 times
I'd respond, "What's Facebook?"

Old 11-30-2011, 07:32 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,810,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
I agree with this. Too many people using social networks to spew right wing crap. Maybe this will tone it down.

Could employers begin asking for Facebook passwords on applications? | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News
What about left-wing crap?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:43 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
What about left-wing crap?
Left wing crap is fine by Comrade jujulu. Freedom of speech is ok as long as you say what he and his moonbat communist brethren want you to say.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
I agree with this. Too many people using social networks to spew right wing crap. Maybe this will tone it down.

Could employers begin asking for Facebook passwords on applications? | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News
Your lack of vision on this topic is disturbing. You clearly didn't anticipate that any activity like this could suppress any free speech via social networks.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:01 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,277,740 times
Quote:

Oh, there are plenty of all political types using the computer to be political.

An employer has no right to your personal passwords, but they probably do have a right to have a key stroke recorder on their business computers and if they find you are on Facebook or other things at work against company policy, well tough!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Are you serious? Why would an employer not consider an applicant without a FB account? How would they even know if you did or didn't have a FB account? Is it on the application?

yes, how does the employer know if you have an FB account at all? Unless your provide that information willingly.

I know several people who don't have one. And my police officer friend doesn't even use his real name on his account (on the account that he is a police officer and don't want any scumbags he arrest to find him)

Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,282 times
Quote:
Highly tech savy companies mainly. They see it as your lack of staying up to date with the latest technology if you don't have a facebook account.
Unfortunately, I have to disagree. I work in a high tech company and we actually develop applications for facebook. Several of our employees do not have Facebook accounts nor are they required.

And it isn't looked down upon as it IS NOT emerging technology. Social networks are on EXISTING technology and are CERTAINLY not pushing or making any progress technically. They are the RESULTS of technology.

Staying up to date on what? C++ Java PHP and database calls? Programming languages have been around since the 60's and many of what we use in programming have existed for 20 years without much "advancement".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies