Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:23 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,211,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I have family and real life friends scattered all over the US, FB a great way to see pics of them and their kids that I would otherwise never see.
If I had to call all of them, I would have a phone permanently attached to my ear, and who has time for that?
Not everyone is playing games and pretending their life is perfect on there.
I've learned to ignore posts like the one you responded to. It makes them feel better about themselves to berate something they've never used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 04:24 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,898,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've learned to ignore posts like the one you responded to. It makes them feel better about themselves to berate something they've never used.
Meh, every once in a while ya just call things like you see it, you know?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:25 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,211,209 times
Quote:
Meh, every once in a while ya just call things like you see it, you know?
Oh yes, absolutely!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,233,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Your threads just get more ridiculous as days go by.

And by the way, spewing "right wing crap" as you have said, is part of this thing called the 1st Amendment... Or let me put it Barney Style for you: Free Speech.

Are you familiar with that?
Oh, no! It's okay for THEM to have free speech. Look what they have said about Palin, Bachmann, Cain, Gingrich, Perry... need I go on?

But, we are to shut up!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:38 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,399,933 times
That is just crazyyyyyyyy and stupid of an idea.

And what do we get from the employer, his p.w. to his bank account?
Dumb Dumb and Dumber, and who in the right mind, would put that they have a F.B. account, who is paying attention, whoopsssssssss don't asnwer that.

What happens if you leave the question blank, The F.B. monster going to come out of the closet or what.
I know no one person, who has ever mentioned anything as this when applying for a job, whoopssssssssss maybe because there are no jobs out there!

Old 12-04-2011, 01:24 PM

30,421 posts, read 20,233,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Wrong.

Ever heard that the First Amendment only applies to governmental entities?
Oh, really?

I can read the Constitution:
"Congress <addressed to Congress> shall make no law <says Congress cannot make a law> respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof <is this referring to government entities?>; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble<this is the part the 'Occupiers' missed>, and to petition the Government for a redress of grieveances <this is still the same sentence — I don't see where it has shifted from talking about the right of the people to the right of 'government entities>."
But maybe you can point us to some other official founding document that says only 'government entities' have the right of free speech.

I should also add that the 'Bill of Rights' itself was written to establish in law, the rights of the people, not the 'rights' of government.

I think your education must be lacking.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:30 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,645,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Oh, really?

I can read the Constitution:
"Congress <addressed to Congress> shall make no law <says Congress cannot make a law> respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof <is this referring to government entities?>; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble<this is the part the 'Occupiers' missed>, and to petition the Government for a redress of grieveances <this is still the same sentence — I don't see where it has shifted from talking about the right of the people to the right of 'government entities>."
But maybe you can point us to some other official founding document that says only 'government entities' have the right of free speech.

I should also add that the 'Bill of Rights' itself was written to establish in law, the rights of the people, not the 'rights' of government.

I think your education must be lacking.
Congress is a government entity. And the first amendment is explicitly applies its restrictions specifically to Congress and no others. The 14th amendment placed these restrictions on the state. Any non government entity may limit speech as it pleases with no restrictions from the first amendment.

I thi nk your education is lacking.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,310,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
I'd simply deny that the Facebook account in my name is actually mine, I can't give the log-in information to an account I have no access to. That my picture is on it is a mystery I have no control over what so ever.
That could be easily remedied by not having your picture as a profile pic. I don't use pictures of me as profile pictures for a variety of reasons, this being one of them. Sure, people may think it's silly/dorky/stupid of me to use pictures of pets, scenery, or other things as my profile pics, but it keeps my profile more private, IMHO. My friends can see tons of pictures of me in my various photo albums if they want and the majority know what I look like anyways (I don't friend complete randoms). My name is somewhat unique, but not so unique that there aren't a few people on FB w/ the same name, so it make my exact profile a bit harder to find. Frankly, I don't want highly random classmates from elementary school tracking me down, or strangers I met at a bar tracking me down via my first name and profile picture (yes, this has happened before. I usually just deny their friend request, but there have been one persistent one who keeps trying).

I've debated just setting up a dummy account under my legal name and using a nickname for my real FB account. I could always private message people who friend the dummy account, tell them to friend the correct account, and unfriend them on the dummy one so it either has zero friends or only professional friends (i.e., friends who have done the same in case anyone is creeping through my friend list and sees an odd profile picture)

Dummy accounts are very, very common on FB now for this very reason-employers snooping around trying to find dirt.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:07 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,977,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
I agree with this. Too many people using social networks to spew right wing crap. Maybe this will tone it down.

Could employers begin asking for Facebook passwords on applications? | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News
What is they're spewing racist left-wing crap? Would that make it more acceptable in your eyes?

As for employers asking for my password to access my profile on social media sites, Fat f--king chance.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:39 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,091,869 times
Quote:
I have family and real life friends scattered all over the US, FB a great way to see pics of them and their kids that I would otherwise never see.
If I had to call all of them, I would have a phone permanently attached to my ear, and who has time for that?
Not everyone is playing games and pretending their life is perfect on there.
I disagree. I think some people use it to make themselves look better than they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies