Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:49 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times

Advertisements

Doesn't surprise me, the country is over in terms of the basic tenets of liberty it was founded upon. People have short memories. When they started the detaining of "enemy combatants" without any type of process they said it was only for non-citizens on foreign soil, and the safety Nazis applauded the move. I knew it would eventually end up this way, and I promise everyone reading this that it won't stop at this bill. The next series will just start loosening the terms under which you can be declared an "enemy combatant" even though they are pretty vague as they stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 PM

16,910 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
What rights are gone?
You could theoretically lose your Miranda rights, your right to counsel, and your right to due process as it exists today. You could also lose your liberty interest if the government decides you are an enemy combatant.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:23 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You could theoretically lose your Miranda rights, your right to counsel, and your right to due process as it exists today. You could also lose your liberty interest if the government decides you are an enemy combatant.
There's no such thing as miranda rights.

Also, we could theoretically lose all our rights, but I was asking someone who said we had already lost our rights that question.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:08 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Where is our Constitution? In a vault in the White House. It's being negated. Remember, BO said he was going to "fundamentally transform" America.

That sounded like change, his mantra and in the emotional high of this new kid on the block too many didn't stop to ponder what he meant by it.

Well, as reality sinks in and bites all of his voters in their "sitting down place" as Mama used to say, we realize that

Our Constitution is our package of Fundamentals.

OOPS....humongous oops.

If this subversive, peculiar president gets his way we are going to totally be transformed right OUT OF our Constitution.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:12 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,301,360 times
Thanks to Joe Biden we need more police.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:18 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
When? There have been parodies of silly doltish policemen as far back as there has been media to represent it.
Police at one time were stronger - larger - and had old fashioned values and a loyalty to the community...From what I have heard is that hiring practices are geared towards the not so bright cop - the nasty ones that will take orders and bring harm to the population if requested...no....I do see an influx over the last 30 years of dumber cops...but wait a sec...what am I saying - I remember hooligan cops and corrupt heads of law enforcement....For instance one of the worst cops I knew as a kid like to take young people out to the back roads and beat the crap out of them...One in particular eventrually became chief- He took bribes to thwart a possible murder investigation...and he was finally given the boot for defrauding the tax payer - I guess in the over all - cops have always been very close to those that become crimminals.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:50 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,115,680 times
This was voted on behind closed doors. Some are finally taking notice.
National Defense Authorization Act spurs uprising from left and right on detainee provisions - St. Petersburg Times
RP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies