Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 AM

4 posts, read 1,857 times

Advertisements

Let me tell you something truly sick: Requiring that young people must literally risk their lie and limb to graduate college debt free.

So if someone wished to make poster per your thinking, it would apparently say:

DEBT FREE COLLEGE
FOR THE POOR WHO RETURN FROM WAR

Perhaps nuance eludes you.

The post-WWII G.I. Bill is vastly responsible for creating a middle class in this country. If you grew up middle-class or you or your family later entered it, it is likely you did so because someone in that past was beneficiary of, directly or indirectly, of the G.I. Bill.

Today there are millions of students ALREADY educated but who cannot become the next generation who will spread middle-class life in a viral manner throughout the country, as did the prior generation. They are today too indebted to school loans. A typical story is someone who took out $50,000, has paid back $40,000, is still in debt $35,000, and is not getting any younger, even as their children age and replicate the same lot of becoming indebted for college, since their parents money went to interest through the years for their own education.

The point in that poster is not to bring an exact equivalence, but to say that that the sorts of affects the G.I Bill had in an earlier generation can be had again, with some alleviating action.

Again, perhaps nuance eludes you, which is why you miss the point.

"Wrong major" is bull**** told you. The greater point of college is not to learn some content, which will always be obsolete by graduation, but to learn how to learn for life. Any college degree provides the sorts of habits of mind, life, and thinking that makes one astute in all sorts of businesses. I myself am an anthropology major--a major Governor Rick Scott has deemed worthy of defunding in Florida. Yet my greatest successes have been in teaching English and in computer science, which I attribute it to my college education.

It's usually only the college-deficient who fundamentally misunderstand college, as you apparently do.

Of course, there are majors which, in any civilized country, concurrently provide credentialling: nursing, engineering, and the like. The hard fact you must deal with is that this country simply was not principally built by such. They were only one bit of the picture. Credentialling and education are not selfsame.

Last edited by BooksMoore; 12-06-2011 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: le

Old 12-06-2011, 11:35 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksMoore View Post
I myself am an anthropology major--a major Governor Rick Scott has deemed worthy of defunding in Florida. Yet my greatest successes have been in teaching English and in computer science, which I attribute it to my college education.
The OWS jokes write themselves.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Let me tell you why.

I have a great uncle, my grandfather's twin brother, whose remains pulverized on to the sea bottom at Pearl Harbor during the Japanese attacks there that inaugurated America's involvement in WWII. It makes me truly sick to think he died so Americans could be more involved with shopping than such a basic civic duty as voting. This is not a partisan issue.
If this weren't a partisan issue you wouldn't be here defending a very partisan website full of partisan posters from the partisan OWS movement. Your great uncle died in Pearl Harbor for all Americans, not just the left wing nut jobs who support the OWS movement.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:08 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,614 times
I don't really have a horse in this race, and my comments are not meant to pass a judgement about which is better, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
The number of TP supporters who were arrested at events is minuscule compared to the thousands of OWS protestors.....
Did you ever stop to think that the reason for the disparity in arrests is that the OWS protesters are protesting AGAINST the abuse of authority and power, whereas the Tea Party folks are typically supportive of activity (like unwarranted wiretaps, for example) that gives MORE power to the the police.

I mean, both movements can be viewed as rather unsavory, but if the police have a bias, don't you THINK that it might be in their best interest to be kinder to the TeaBaggers than the OWSers?

Just saying...

....carry on....

Old 12-06-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I don't really have a horse in this race, and my comments are not meant to pass a judgement about which is better, but...

Did you ever stop to think that the reason for the disparity in arrests is that the OWS protesters are protesting AGAINST the abuse of authority and power, whereas the Tea Party folks are typically supportive of activity (like unwarranted wiretaps, for example) that gives MORE power to the the police.

I mean, both movements can be viewed as rather unsavory, but if the police have a bias, don't you THINK that it might be in their best interest to be kinder to the TeaBaggers than the OWSers?

Just saying...

....carry on....
The Tea Party's main goal has always been a smaller, more under control federal government. That goes against what you've said about wanting to give more power to anyone. The Tea Party was against the Patriot Act just like everyone else with a brain, we protested against it many times.

The one and only reason that OWS protestors have been arrested in huge numbers and the Tea Party protestors weren't is because the Tea Party protestors didn't break the law and the OWS protestors have repeatedly.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 1,857 times
Quote:
I myself am an anthropology major--a major Governor Rick Scott has deemed worthy of defunding in Florida. Yet my greatest successes have been in teaching English and in computer science, which I attribute it to my college education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
The OWS jokes write themselves.
Hey. Psssst. Guess what. No one with an anthropology major works as an anthropologist. It takes a PhD in anthropology to do so. Anthropology majors work in a whole variety of fields What Can I Do With a Major in Anthropology? where the framework of thinking about cultures is a great asset.

Of course, if you yourself were educated, you'd know that.

The joke's on you.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The Tea Party is xenophobes and christian right extremists. Their agenda is to spread hate for Obama and liberals.
Where did you dream up that?
The Tea Party opposes government overspending and raising taxes.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
the tea party is more polite and respectful.... i think that's clear. i just don't really care; i simply disagree with much of what they believe to be fact.
You don't agree that the government overspends?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Hey. Psssst. Guess what. No one with an anthropology major works as an anthropologist. It takes a PhD in anthropology to do so. Anthropology majors work in a whole variety of fields What Can I Do With a Major in Anthropology? where the framework of thinking about cultures is a great asset.

Of course, if you yourself were educated, you'd know that.

The joke's on you.
Psssst, guess what...

Nobody cares about the details of your failed education plan, there's no need to go out of your way to convince us that you didn't waste all that money and time.

I'll stick to the electrical engineering field where my masters actually helps me.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
That seems to be about 50% of Americans these days. Including most Republicans, Libertarians, right-wing nut jobs, tea-baggers...
"Tea-baggers" probably are not that interested in the Constitution. Oh, unless you mean the Tea Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies