Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:57 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,992 times

Advertisements

Read this op-ed in Bloomberg. This guy hits the nail on the head.

Pay special attention to the points that one super rich consumer cannot power the economy like thousands of middle class consumers can.

Oh and the guy is a venture capitalist that helped launch amazon.com. Someone many of the righties on here would call a job creator.....yet he argues he isn't one

Raise Taxes on Rich to Reward True Job Creators: Nick Hanauer - Bloomberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 06:08 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Great read!

Old 12-02-2011, 06:19 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Just because he's rich doesn't make him smart or right. In fact, his own words conflict with his headline;

Even so, I’ve never been a “job creator.” I can start a business based on a great idea, and initially hire dozens or hundreds of people. But if no one can afford to buy what I have to sell, my business will soon fail and all those jobs will evaporate.

Starting a business and hiring dozens or hundreds of people is JOB CREATION. That's the definition of the term.

Then he introduces a new topic; he goes on to say that he needs customers to sustain his business. Nobody would deny that you need customers after you start a business to sustain the business. But you can have millions of customers and if nobody has the capital and energy to start a business, there will be no jobs created.

Middle class people with no capital do not create jobs. It takes capital to start a company or expand a company and create jobs.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
All that capital has been sent to China to creat jobs in a communist tyranny. The tyranny part is relevant, the communist is more like the One Big Company. Great for profits and terrible for workers.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Just because he's rich doesn't make him smart or right. In fact, his own words conflict with his headline;

Even so, I’ve never been a “job creator.” I can start a business based on a great idea, and initially hire dozens or hundreds of people. But if no one can afford to buy what I have to sell, my business will soon fail and all those jobs will evaporate.

Starting a business and hiring dozens or hundreds of people is JOB CREATION. That's the definition of the term.

ah so if you create jobs for a month, then fire everybody technically you've created jobs. So these are the type of job creators we should be looking for??

Then he introduces a new topic; he goes on to say that he needs customers to sustain his business. Nobody would deny that you need customers after you start a business to sustain the business. But you can have millions of customers and if nobody has the capital and energy to start a business, there will be no jobs created.

Middle class people with no capital do not create jobs. It takes capital to start a company or expand a company and create jobs.
A company does not expand without lots of customers. Without demand for product. No one with an idea will ever be able to launch it without customers to buy the product. The iPad would have died without millions of people to buy them. The same with any good idea (and all the bad ideas)

This is a chicken vs. the egg thing. Arguably you need both. Lots of consumers with disposable income and someone with the wealth and capital to start a company. Both are necessary for sustainable job growth. At this point in the country we only have one of these things.

We need more consumers. The elites can take a hit and will survive. They will still be the top 1% looking down on us. They just have to look down on us from a hill not a mountain. They will survive.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:37 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
In theory it sounds great, but for anyone to think that the money derived from increased taxes is going to trickle down to the middle class should think again. The only people who are going to see that money live in one of the 120 countries that the US gives financial aid to.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
In theory it sounds great, but for anyone to think that the money derived from increased taxes is going to trickle down to the middle class should think again. The only people who are going to see that money live in one of the 120 countries that the US gives financial aid to.
don't do this because it won't work because we say so

but do what we say even though it hasn't worked yet its bound to work eventually......

thats the conservative way

Old 12-02-2011, 06:52 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,517,434 times
Are you that ignorant? If there are no jobs for the middle class, there is no income, that means no money to spend on widgets, gadgets and such. THAT is what creates jobs.

Just like the AOL exec. said.....taxes or lack thereof do not create jobs, supply and demand do.

Quote:

Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,812 times
Quote:
That's why Henry Ford raised wages & paid his workers well.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:15 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Can we all just admit that both create jobs? Seems pretty simple to me. Demand is demand, supply is supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies