Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider yourself middle class?
YES 103 81.75%
NO 23 18.25%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 01:45 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Well, in the brave new Republican America -- you either have billions or you have no more than two nickels in your pocket at any one time. I usally have about a quarter (which Republicans are trying to tax at a higher rate so the "job creators" can continue to pay historically low tax rates), so I guess I'm middle class ... for now.
Your comments about Republicans are both inaccurate and irrational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 01:49 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Your comments about Republicans are both inaccurate and irrational.
Every time I see a Republican, I make sure I don't have change clanging around in my pocket. If he knew I had two nickels to rub together, he'd try to tax one of them away ... all for the cause.. multi-millionares must keep paying historically low tax rates.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:50 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Simply from a sociological point of view. For instance, Bill gates isn't upper upper class because he isn't old money. His children would be.

It depends more on your position in society, and if you aren't a working professional "someone with a college degree, etc" and don't own a home, yiu are lower class. All blue collar workers are considered lower class.
I don't know where you're getting all this from, but you are carving out a definition by and for yourself that has little to do with what most perceive as middle class.

Just to hit on one point....lots of renters are middle class.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:53 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Every time I see a Republican, I make sure I don't have change clanging around in my pocket. If he knew I had two nickels to rub together, he'd try to tax one of them away ... all for the cause.. multi-millionares must keep paying historically low tax rates.
I would like to see the statistics you are basing your analogy on. Please enlighten us with your genius.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:54 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I would like to see the statistics you are basing your analogy on. Please enlighten us with your genius.
Let's not get off topic. I'm sure I will have plenty of opportunities to enlighten you on how Republicans want to steal from you on threads that are more appropriate for the discussion.

Old 12-03-2011, 02:05 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It's not your income level. It's based on what kind of job you have, if you own or are buying a house, and how you are perceived by society.

The town may offer you 50k a year to sweep the streets, but its still a lower class job.

Middle class is usually defined as working professionals and small business owners. If you work in a factory, or in service, you aren't middle class. If you rent, you aren't middle class, regardless of your income.
That's not how I see it.
Labor unions created the bulk of the middle class, years back. They were blue collar jobs mostly.
The largest market for consumer goods is the middle class.
A LOT of what middle class is, IS income and income related.
My parents were factory workers and definitely middle class.

Last edited by goldengrain; 12-03-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 12-03-2011, 02:07 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Let's not get off topic. I'm sure I will have plenty of opportunities to enlighten you on how Republicans want to steal from you on threads that are more appropriate for the discussion.
That's what I thought.. Thanks for playing..

Old 12-03-2011, 03:07 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Good lord.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
"How I see it". This is the answer. Everyone has opinions, I am offering you the definition.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:23 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
I used to be but after the crash I became working poor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies