Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:25 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The comment about the KKK, they were just messing with you. Did they ask you to go snipe hunting also?

So you want to base your perception of all people south of the mason/dixon line on a few religious nuts in one congregation of one small church in a small rural KY town. Is that how you roll?
No, I actually told them (my cousins) to watch my back in case of a Klan abduction.

And yes, that's how I roll. I base things off one incident. I stereotype anybody and anything based of off person or one thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 11:26 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Not racist, bigotry. Back in the 60s when my dad joined the Navy, when they found out he was Cajun, they told him to take off his shoes and socks to see his "webbed feet". When he showed them he didn't have webbed feet, they said he wasn't Cajun cause Cajuns live in the swamps and have webbed feet. When I joined the Navy in 1990 and they found out I was Cajun, they actually asked me if this was my first time wearing shoes and walking on dry land. I never set foot in the swamp. I've always lived on dry land. I blame TV/movie industry (west coast and northeast coast) for continuing the stereo types. People who have never been to Louisiana are usually surprised when they come to visit. There are several distinct regions and cultures. Northern Louisiana is forest with lumber/paper industry and the people there are a mix of Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi culture with a bit of Cajun thrown in. Southwest is mostly Cajun with a bit of Texas thrown in. Southeast breaks down in three different cultures like the Creole, Cajun, and Mississippi. We also have native American tribes which has it's own culture.

Itr is only the ignorant that do things like you described. Makes you wonder if some of these people ever went to school. If they did they surely did not learn much.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Speaking of accents, I've never heard such strong Southern accents in person before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I like being stereotyped based simply on my accent. It makes the moment of their realization that I'm not an idiot, so much more vivid and exciting.

We had a guy in our company (Georgia man, born and bred.) who had an amazing ability. He had a photographic memory. We were in a meeting once and a man ( with no Southern accent) was presenting something for us to purchase, some sort of new gee-whiz bang gizmo. He flies thru his presentation slides in fast succession and at the end, he's all smiles. He's like on page 50 or something . He askss if there are any questions, and our guy pipes up and says, "Page 17 and page 24 do not correlate. In fact, they seem diametrically opposed, even perhaps, antithetical."

The presenter sort of blinked.

Yeah, that was a good moment.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:52 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
No, I actually told them (my cousins) to watch my back in case of a Klan abduction.

And yes, that's how I roll. I base things off one incident. I stereotype anybody and anything based of off person or one thing.
What makes you think the Klan would even think you are an interesting target?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:24 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,786 times
"South" isn't a race.............................................

Old 12-02-2011, 12:54 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
I went to the Deep South for the first time to see some family. As soon as I got there, I immediately told "This is my first experience in the Deep South. Make sure I don't get abducted by the KKK".

Now I just left the South and discover that an IR couple has been discriminated against in a KY church.
Since your family lives in the Deep South, can we assume they're racists?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:58 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Since your family lives in the Deep South, can we assume they're racists?
From these posts, many already think that.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:04 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Ever been there? Have something more specific to say on this?

An interesting trend underway the last decade is increasing migration of blacks to the south. Read for yourself some of the reasons why.

The New Great Migration: Black Americans' Return to the South, 1965-2000 - Brookings Institution

Race issues are still huge in many northern areas such as Boston.
Exactly. If the south is so damn racists, why do so many blacks and other minorities live there? I have been down south MANY MANY times and I haven't run across any more racism there than you will find anywhere else. Southern people (of ALL races) are very, very nice and hospitable people. You can walk into a grocery store and actually have a really nice conversation with the cashier. They are a different breed down there compared to the northerners. I prefer southerners to be honest.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:08 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Quote:

You do realize there are fewer than 1,000 members of the KKK these days. However, I do believe they are in Kentucky, it was on Gangland.

You will probably see more interracial relationships in the South than anywhere in the country.

I see alot of them in NC. I myself have dated outside my race in NC with no issues except for thugs/gangster dudes saying stupid stuff.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:12 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Exactly. If the south is so damn racists, why do so many blacks and other minorities live there? I have been down south MANY MANY times and I haven't run across any more racism there than you will find anywhere else. Southern people (of ALL races) are very, very nice and hospitable people. You can walk into a grocery store and actually have a really nice conversation with the cashier. They are a different breed down there compared to the northerners. I prefer southerners to be honest.
I do too. You're right that this is an "all races" thing too. Southern blacks are just as courteous as southern whites. As a white man living in California, I can tell you exactly how many times a black man held the door open for me in a public place -- 0. No one, white or black, extends those courtesies to others in the West. Today, as a resident of the Atlanta metro, that happens literally every single day. Black men with braids hold doors open for whites, blacks, Mexicans... in other words, for their fellow human beings. And if white men are so racist, why do they hold doors open for blacks? (Something you also see every day.)

Yes, the South has its racists (just like everywhere else). But I bet even the racists treat members of the races they supposedly hate better in day-to-day interactions than most Americans from other regions. If the South had a regional motto, it would probably be: take time to be kind.

It's a nice place. Spend some time here and tell me I'm wrong with a straight face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies