Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 04:07 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,379 times

Advertisements

And in other news, the DMV still won't let me have my license plate because my political expression is too divisive, and they have a policy of not allowing any vanity plate that contains the letters "IH8xxxx" (among a great many other "offensive" combinations of letters and numbers which communicate ideas they find inappropriate). Apparently, expressions of "hate" are somehow "bad," even if expressing a generic political opinion.

Specifically, I wanted a license plate that read IH8BATF or IH8DEA, but regardless of whether my vanity plate was IH8JETS, IH8GIANTS,, IH8METS, IH8PEDOS, I H8NIGS, or whatever other expression I wish to communicate, I don't see why any public servant in a genuinely free country would feel the need to suppress that.

No doubt an IH8DEA or IH8BATF license plate is more divisive plate than one which criticizes a sports team (e.g. IH8JETS), but I don't see what vested interest the state has in suppressing such forms of expression. It's a given that government is not going to be inclined to have its own bureaucratic mechanisms be used as a forum to criticize itself, but I simply view that as an indicator of suppressive government which does not comport with public policy in an ostensibly free country.

If I were the person in charge of the DMV or the transit company in charge of making the advertising decisions, I'd let people express damn near any view they want (or even if I had limitations, the opinions I would allow would nonetheless be too controversial to some - oh wells)....... but I'm not in that position..... so.... whadda' you gonna' do? You could make an issue of these kinds of things, even take it to court and win, but even then that's really only a fairly narrow win... because ultimately they still get to control the content by virtue of their position.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 12-03-2011 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 04:50 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
Quote:
Further; when your president, who is sending Hilary to all points of the globe to negotiate 'open market' policy, while at the same time pandering to his constituents with HIS Buy American speeches; I would suggest that being protectionistic as your country does not like the corner it's painted itself into with forcing free trade down the throats of others while losing jobs through corporate strategy designed to maximize shareholder returns.
A politician encouraging people to buy locally is not protectionist.

Protectionism is the economic policy of restraining trade between states through methods such as tariffs on imported goods, restrictive quotas, and a variety of other government regulations designed to allow (according to proponents) "fair competition" between imports and goods and services produced domestically.

Protectionism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please know what you're talking about next time before you bother writing. Protectionism refers to government policy.

It's sort of sad that you have such strong opinions here yet don't know what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies