Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:12 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
LOL..I must be really making some good points because you're really upset with me. Get a grip champ. The FACT is that Australia has a female atheist Prime Minister, something that we're no where near having in America. I can't help it if the truth upsets you and doesn't fit your narrative for everything, whatever that may be. I'm not particularly sure how that's bigoted. If you have issue with statements I make in other threads, address them there but be easy with what you're spewing.
What is funny, is that you are giving yourself brownie points!! Like what you say means anything. Especially if it is attacking someone that you don't know, to make yourself feel better.
I would love a female president, if she did a good job. Shoot, I would love a male president, if he did a good job. Gender doesn't mean anything. I wouldn't care what her religion, or lack of it, was, if she didn't enforce it on me, and did a good job. But because other countries have female leaders, religious or not, doesn't make them so much cooler than us. Can't you libs ever be happy with yourselves? Why do you always have to envy what other people/countries have? You got your man in power, and you still are not happy with that. You are drooling over someone else's person in power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 12:17 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
I also heard that it will never be implemented.

Goes to the people for a vote and they are staunchly against it.

Quote:
The survey, by Sexton Marketing, contains a number of other significant revelations. These include that, while Australians are somewhat conflicted over same-sex marriage, they also think that there are more important issues. In fact, while 49 per cent support changing the Marriage Act, it is by far the least important of the six significant social issues surveyed.

The survey also shows that this issue is not just about rights for homosexual people but also about the responsibility of society to always act in the best interests of children.

Nearly 70 per cent of Australians believe that marriage between a man and a woman and their having children together is an important social institution that should be upheld. Three out of four respondents, including a surprising majority of those in favour of same-sex marriage, believe that as a society we should try to ensure that children are raised by their natural mother and father and promote this norm.
Quote:
Although fewer than one-third of Australians feel strongly about the issue, it does have the potential to change votes. If a major party advocates same-sex marriage, they could lose about 2.2 per cent of their total primary vote.
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...124-1nwy2.html

Old 12-03-2011, 01:10 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Some interesting developments indeed.

Firstly, apparently this is an American only forum!

Regarding the news of gay marriage, there has been no law change; however the current government have moved to amend their policy and stance on the issue.

Regarding the poll from Lucky Gem, every other media poll indicates the opposite ~ in those polls, Australians are in favour of same-sex marriage.. Possibly the "Ambrose Centre for Religious Liberty" haven't asked a broad enough cross section of the community.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:16 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
It appears that more places around the world are legalizing same-sex marriage.

I understand it is being debated in Nepal, of all places.

Here in the US I expect one or two more states will legalize it in the next year or two.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Make that an unmarried athiest female PM.

Labor are just desperate to stay in power. Though I do approve of the change.
Seems so, and agree!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:20 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
It appears that more places around the world are legalizing same-sex marriage.

I understand it is being debated in Nepal, of all places.

Here in the US I expect one or two more states will legalize it in the next year or two.
It hasn't been legalised in Australia. It's just the Labor party changing their stance on the issue for more votes.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Some interesting developments indeed.

Firstly, apparently this is an American only forum!

Regarding the news of gay marriage, there has been no law change; however the current government have moved to amend their policy and stance on the issue.

Regarding the poll from Lucky Gem, every other media poll indicates the opposite ~ in those polls, Australians are in favour of same-sex marriage.. Possibly the "Ambrose Centre for Religious Liberty" haven't asked a broad enough cross section of the community.
This is really good Political and Controversial news, I'll bet we'll be discussing gay marriage in Australia at least until the sun comes up...

I mean SHOCK! how dastardly of them not to have a broad enough cross-section for their poll, I'll bet either the Australian Greens or the Liberal Party of Australia will do something to straighten this horrendous gross miscarriage of polling out...

Old 12-03-2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
This is really good Political and Controversial news, I'll bet we'll be discussing gay marriage in Australia at least until the sun comes up...

I mean SHOCK! how dastardly of them not to have a broad enough cross-section for their poll, I'll bet either the Australian Greens or the Liberal Party of Australia will do something to straighten this horrendous gross miscarriage of polling out...
You're right. Another discussion on dem nuts vs republican nuts is far more interesting!

ha ha again ~ right. The Australian Liberal Party will be doing everything they can to sort this out. They will back that poll to the hills and back.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:50 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
What is funny, is that you are giving yourself brownie points!! Like what you say means anything. Especially if it is attacking someone that you don't know, to make yourself feel better.
I would love a female president, if she did a good job. Shoot, I would love a male president, if he did a good job. Gender doesn't mean anything. I wouldn't care what her religion, or lack of it, was, if she didn't enforce it on me, and did a good job. But because other countries have female leaders, religious or not, doesn't make them so much cooler than us. Can't you libs ever be happy with yourselves? Why do you always have to envy what other people/countries have? You got your man in power, and you still are not happy with that. You are drooling over someone else's person in power.
What are you and that brainwashed guy talking about?? Either post a relevant point about the thread or go away.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
"This is really good Political and Controversial news, I'll bet we'll be discussing gay marriage in Australia at least until the sun comes up...

I mean SHOCK! how dastardly of them not to have a broad enough cross-section for their poll, I'll bet either the Australian Greens or the Liberal Party of Australia will do something to straighten this horrendous gross miscarriage of polling out..."

Ha Bob Brown, the Leader of the Greens and the effective ruler of the Country is openly Gay, so the greens wont be doing anything, I think he was a big infleuence on the Labor party's decision.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 12-04-2011 at 11:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies