Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:38 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times

Advertisements

Some interesting responses from some small business owners to the question of why businesses aren't hiring.

Why Businesses Aren't Hiring - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 10:40 AM

What I got from them is that their hiring decisions are being influenced more by what type of business they are running and how that business is being affected by this recession. Not every business is being affected by this recession in the same way so each business person has a different response to the question about why they aren't hiring.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
I'm sure the firing and not hiring will go on as they get a taste of Obama-care where they have to buy insurance by law for over four employees or get fined.
That should promote growth in the business sector....NOT!

Old 12-03-2011, 10:54 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Hahaha, "We aren't hiring people because we don't know what the costs will be in 2014"

What kind of business owner would need employees to satisfy demand and not do it because they are uncertain about something three years down the line?

A more successful company would hire the employee and satisfy the the customer demand, because they obviously don't want to. Only an idiot would give up clients clamoring for their services (and future business) because they simply are not sure what might happen. That business will have enough profit to pay the new employees costs by satisfying the demand, while the one that refuses to hire will go the way of all unsuccessful businesses.

You never know what is going to happen in the future, you can't sit there shaking and complaining

Last edited by subsound; 12-03-2011 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-03-2011, 10:55 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
It's demand, always has been, always will be.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Hahaha, "We aren't hiring people because we don't know what the costs will be in 2014"

What kind of business owner would need employees to satisfy demand and not do it because they are uncertain about something three years down the line?

A more successful company would hire the employee and satisfy the the customer demand, because they obviously don't want to. Only an idiot would give up clients clamoring for their services (and future business) because they simply are not sure what might happen. That business will have enough profit to pay the new employees costs by satisfying the demand, while the one that refuses to hire will go the way of all unsuccessful businesses.

You never know what is going to happen in the future, you can't sit there shaking and complaining
I thought that businessman's views was being shaped more by his political views more so than with the other businessmen interviewed.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:21 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
I am hiring.

I seriously doubt I'll have 50 people by 2014, so I won't be effected either way. Even if I would have that type of headcount, I would hire as needed anyway.

If your business decisions are driven by your political beliefs, you're kind of an idiot.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:28 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
It is a package deal... You have to consider the effects of government policy as well as the demand and see if the demand overides the cost of doing buisness.... Right now, we just don't have the answers and nobody likes laying off people who you just hired. It costs money to train people. Depending on the labor discipline it may take 2 years to get someone proficient enough where they are a benefit to your company. There are a lot of questions out there right now and not enough answers.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:48 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Some interesting responses from some small business owners to the question of why businesses aren't hiring...
Two or three anecdotes don't qualify as evidence of a trend.

And I can assure you that large corporations do look at market uncertainty. Most large corporations have choices as to where to expand and where to invest. They give high preference to low risk opportunities and political uncertainty contributes to risk.

It's the same with individual investors. Many of us are sitting on cash because we don't feel confident about the political future of this country.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:00 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,836 times
Payroll Gains Improve in U.S. - Bloomberg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies