Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:09 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

It's always amusing how there's always at least one person who insinuates that an animal lover wouldn't do the same for a fellow human...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
If it had a valid health certificate attached to the crate then its not her place to stop the movement of the animal. She can voice her concern, but thanks to her own insubordination to a supervisor she lost her job. Hunting dogs are kept thin during the hunting season and burn calories quickly. As long as it had enough water for the trip it would have been fine. As to the condition, it would have been on the certificate.
Considering that the dog was taken into custody and had to be nursed back into health... I'd imagine that her claim had some validity to it. Aaaanndd seeing as how her employer has offered this woman her job back, I think they also realize she did the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
A better solution would be to do her job and then notify the authorities.

She was hired to load baggage, not to inspect baggage. If she thinks she should get to choose what baggage to load, she should get another job.
People are not mindless drones only following exact instruction. We have the ability to think for ourselves and know when something is "not right". This was one of those times - even her employer agrees as they've offered her job back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Employees MUST ALWAYS DO AS THEY ARE ORDERED! Not always so. Some legal things are still wrong.

Now go an light the furnace. "arbiet macht frie" said the sign over the gate. Legal but very. very WRONG.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
I've seen that tendency in third world countries. Reminds me of my stop at "Easy Day" store in India, which is supposed to be Walmart. They have an entry point with guards and the exit winds through the store. We stepped in through the entry door and decided that we didn't really need to go into the store as the place was overcrowded. So, we turned around. The problem? The person at the entrance won't let you take a step back. He had been instructed to not allow people exit through the entrance. And in our case, we were basically under the metal detector at the entry but supposedly had entered the store and weren't supposed to go anywhere but through the store. This is what we expect?

The very first company I worked with, rewarded people for going beyond what is expected of them, to not be mindless drones but to put to use the brains that was dug through a variety of interview questions and tests.

Heaven forbid a baggage loader notices a crack in an airplane body and keeps it to self, after all it ain't his/her job.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I have a lot of problem with the concept of "insubordination". I always have and expect I always will. I will do what I am paid to do but I will not stop thinking. Nobody can pay me enough to stop thinking.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:51 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have a lot of problem with the concept of "insubordination". I always have and expect I always will. I will do what I am paid to do but I will not stop thinking. Nobody can pay me enough to stop thinking.
But then, there's the problem of insubordination. Would you give up your ability to think and act, from fear of it, even as you know well that it is wrong or dangerous?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:53 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Oh the poor doggie woggie...

I wish people exhibited the same concern for American citizens as they do for dogs....
Agreed.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:15 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
I have shipped many dogs and puppies across the country and around the world and not one of them has gotten onto a plane with out a health Cert from a Veterinarian .

Having said that if my dog or pups developed a
serious medical condition or got really ill I hope someone would pull the dog/pups from the flight and get the dog/pups help.

----
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Oh the poor doggie woggie...

I wish people exhibited the same concern for American citizens as they do for dogs....
Poor people wepple can't comunicate what is wrong with them.
Maybe people should get a health Cert before they are allowed to fly also?

Dogs exhibit more morals, loyalty than some people do.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:46 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Dogs have morals?? Tell that to the birds that show up dead in my back yard. LOL. Only loyalty a dog shows is when its dinner time. You feed em and clean up their poop they're happy. If somebody else fed em they'd move there in a heartbeat.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:14 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
I know of dogs that I've sold and I have not seen them in years get very excited when they see, hear or smell me again.
Yet their owners feed, house and treat them like family.

Some people would hate you for doing the same to them but
these dogs would gladly come home with me.

Animals are not baggage they have to be handled much differently.
She did the right thing questioning the health of the dog.
A health cert can be days old and still be valid.
What were the temps that day?
If the temp on the tarmac is over 90*f they are not allowed to fly.
Dog got stressed, long flight, littel to no water, hot temps could leed to a bad situation.

Last edited by snofarmer; 12-06-2011 at 01:34 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 01:43 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The wish starts with you. But then, you might claim that she wasn't robotic enough as one should be to do their job.
Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself

She was a baggage handler, not a baggage inspector....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies