Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:43 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

RENO, Nev. – A Reno-area woman says she was fired as a baggage handler at Reno-Tahoe International Airport last month after she refused to load an emaciated hunting dog on a plane.

Lynn Jones of Lockwood said her supervisor told her to load the dog lying in a pet carrier because the animal's paperwork was in order and its condition wasn't her concern.

Read more: Baggage Handler Fired After Refusing To Load Dog On Plane | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 04:18 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
My first inclination was to question the woman's credentials in determining if the dog was in need of veterinary care ... but it appears from the news story the poor creature was in bad shape and she may have done the right thing.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Oh the poor doggie woggie...

I wish people exhibited the same concern for American citizens as they do for dogs....

Old 12-05-2011, 05:00 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
If it had a valid health certificate attached to the crate then its not her place to stop the movement of the animal. She can voice her concern, but thanks to her own insubordination to a supervisor she lost her job. Hunting dogs are kept thin during the hunting season and burn calories quickly. As long as it had enough water for the trip it would have been fine. As to the condition, it would have been on the certificate.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:06 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

I wish people exhibited the same concern for American citizens as they do for dogs....
I'd wager if this lady was told to move a person in a wheelchair and found them to be emaciated, listless, and covered in sores she might express concern.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:

Hah. This is supposedly a first world country but bring up UHC and people rabidly shoot it down. Americans couldn't care less about fellow Americans. Or dogs. Good for this woman for daring to speak out. Her sup should have been fired, not her.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
"I was hysterical and crying and yelling because the plane was going to leave and I was afraid the dog was going to be on it. I kept saying, `Please, please, the dog is going to die,"' she said.

Maybe she was fired because she was mentally unfit. According to her own words here apparently she was. Now the dog is back home hunting again. Must not have been in that bad of shape. Mutt probably just scared of flying.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:33 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Hah. This is supposedly a first world country but bring up UHC and people rabidly shoot it down. Americans couldn't care less about fellow Americans. Or dogs. Good for this woman for daring to speak out. Her sup should have been fired, not her.

A better solution would be to do her job and then notify the authorities.

She was hired to load baggage, not to inspect baggage. If she thinks she should get to choose what baggage to load, she should get another job.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:53 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
I'd have given her a bonus for being so astute!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:07 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:

The wish starts with you. But then, you might claim that she wasn't robotic enough as one should be to do their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
She was hired to load baggage, not to inspect baggage. If she thinks she should get to choose what baggage to load, she should get another job.
Not enough of a mindless drone for you? I get it that you might have done your job like that, but I applaud any person who does more than just "do your job".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies