Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:51 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times

Advertisements

Sounds like jealousy that your buddy found a much better fraud scheme. My advice, step your game up, scrub.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM

300 posts, read 250,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Sounds like jealousy that your buddy found a much better fraud scheme. My advice, step your game up, scrub.
Living how I live is much more preferable than giving the government tax free loans, or actually paying them to screw up your lives

Income taxes are for suckers IMO.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwrek View Post
Came upon an interesting situation with a good friend of mine from work and thought I would get some opinions....

The meat and potatoes of it: I (and my friend) are bartenders in an upper scale tourist area in the midwest. As such, we make a fairly good living and admittedly most of it is tax free. (No, I sure as hell do not report every cent I make ).

That being said, my friend who is somewhat of a "preparedness type" recently got approved for food stamps since his provable income is very low. He and his family are set to receive somewhere around $400 +/- a month. He told me he plans on using that solely for the purpose of stocking his cellar and pantry with a doomsday stockpile of food.

On one hand, I despise anyone receiving food stamps since they are completely unconstitutional IMO, but on the other, I applaud his willingness to use the system for his own benefit and prepare for a scenario which would most likely be caused by the government itself.

We got into a friendly debate over the merits of going on the public dime versus using the already broken system to prepare for its eventual catastrophic ending.

Thoughts?
You're a hypocrite. End of Thoughts.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Or, on the flip side, the government could stop acting like my money is their money.

The government does not have a right to the fruits of my labor, that is the sole reason I do not report every dollar I make. It causes some problems, such as getting financed for a loan, but on the whole, I would rather keep all of my money.
Name one government from the present to ancient times that the government did not tax its citizens and took a slice? I'm not referring to a clan or tribe. Simply put, the government does have a right to some of your fruits sorry to say.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:05 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Quote:
Or, on the flip side, the government could stop acting like my money is their money.

The government does not have a right to the fruits of my labor, that is the sole reason I do not report every dollar I make. It causes some problems, such as getting financed for a loan, but on the whole, I would rather keep all of my money.
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll think twice before tipping a bartender.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Name one government from the present to ancient times that the government did not tax its citizens and took a slice? I'm not referring to a clan or tribe. Simply put, the government does have a right to some of your fruits sorry to say.
I would disagree on the premise that once they began spending it in ways that aren't specifically authorized by the Constitution (A1S8), they forfeited any perceived right to any of my money.

It pains me to pay any form of tax, but those already built in such as gas taxes etc etc are unavoidable in my area. I purposely try to do as much shopping online as I can in order to avoid sales taxes. Sadly, it looks like the criminals in DC will be attempting to tax online sales, but luckily there will be a large number of merchants who do not adhere to their federal "orders"

Old 12-07-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll think twice before tipping a bartender.
You'll think twice, but you will still tip if you don't want to wait 30 minutes for your next drink

Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Tax fraud?

Hardly. I only report the absolute bare minimum that is required by my employer, which typically equates to 8% of sales.

The burden of proof would be on them, and since I make below minimum wage hourly and live on tips, they would be hard pressed to determine how much I make every night.

Who is to say we don't have a bad month and would end up hardly making anything?
It's nothing to do with what your employer requires. By law you are required to report all income, from whatever source derived. This includes tips, even the tips that nobody can prove you got.

Someone once observed that it's what we do when we know nobody's looking that reveals our character. You've just revealed yours to everyone at CD.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:15 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're a hypocrite. End of Thoughts.

Cosigned.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
I would disagree on the premise that once they began spending it in ways that aren't specifically authorized by the Constitution (A1S8), they forfeited any perceived right to any of my money.

It pains me to pay any form of tax, but those already built in such as gas taxes etc etc are unavoidable in my area. I purposely try to do as much shopping online as I can in order to avoid sales taxes. Sadly, it looks like the criminals in DC will be attempting to tax online sales, but luckily there will be a large number of merchants who do not adhere to their federal "orders"
Why not move to Somalia then? Like these roads, bridges, water system, safe food, safe drugs, a military to protect you? Like the police protection that gets provided to you.

Then PAY FOR IT and stop being a damn leech....and using the Constitution as an excuse for being one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies