Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Probably the ones that aren't paying any income tax, and give their CEOs 20,000,000 dollar bonuses even when they screw up.
So about 1/100 of 1% of all US businesses then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Not me. The government already subsidizes the poorest people in our society and I am STILL waiting on a return on that investment.

Dont hold ya breath.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
And don't get me started on the idiotic Norway comparisons. Norway is slightly over half the size of NYC.
So what? What does the total size of the population have to do with the per-capita cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Adoption.

No solution is 100% perfect, but I suspect the percent of babies born to women who are on the pill is miniscule.
Philosophy Quotes - Literary Quotes About Philosophy and Practically Everything Else (http://quotes.prolix.nu/Philosophy/ - broken link)

For every problem, there exists a simple and elegant solution which is absolutely wrong.

- J. Wagoner, U.C.B. Mathematics

Birth Control Failure Rates

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-08-2011 at 02:02 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 01:50 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Philosophy Quotes - Literary Quotes About Philosophy and Practically Everything Else (http://quotes.prolix.nu/Philosophy/ - broken link)

For every problem, there exists a simple and elegant solution which is absolutely wrong.

- J. Wagoner, U.C.B. Mathematics
Well that has absolutely nothing to do with what I said, but if it were up to me abortion would be free for all.

By the way the simple solution would also probably be better than the complex, economically illiterate, emotionally driven solution.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:01 PM

^^The quote was in reference to the simplistic solution: "adoption". Just like "sterilization" is simplistc. We do need to go beyond simplistic nonsense.

I also need to edit that post. I sent it off in haste. My apologies.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
So what? What does the total size of the population have to do with the per-capita cost?
To compare a diverse (racially, culturally, religiously, politically) nation of 300 million to a relatively homogeneous nation approx 1/60th of the size proves absolutely nothing. It works for them. Great. That doesn't mean it'll work for us. Completely different societies and people.

Quote:
^^The quote was in reference to the simplistic solution: "adoption". Just like "sterilization" is simplistc. We do need to go beyond simplistic nonsense.
Well I would still contend that the vast majority of unwanted pregnancies could be prevented. Birth control and protection is very effective. Adoption can pick up a portion of the remainder. Or get an abortion. I don't care.

To say "oh hey it'll be fine we'll just make stuff free" is the epitome of simplistic thinking.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:52 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,379 times
A perhaps-useful consistency test for opponents of this kind of legislation is to check to make sure they also oppose 5 U.S.C. 6323 (a) and (b) (§ 6323. MILITARY LEAVE; RESERVES AND NATIONAL GUARDSMEN).

Old 12-08-2011, 03:12 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Can you imagine receiving 6 to 12 months or more of paid time off to have a baby?

More than that. Take a ride through any distressed area and see the welfare moms on permenent paid leave.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
To compare a diverse (racially, culturally, religiously, politically) nation of 300 million to a relatively homogeneous nation approx 1/60th of the size proves absolutely nothing. It works for them. Great. That doesn't mean it'll work for us. Completely different societies and people.
Deflection! Do women of different ethnicites recover from delivery at different rates? The per-capita cost would be the same!

Quote:
To say "oh hey it'll be fine we'll just make stuff free" is the epitome of simplistic thinking.
Perahps. Show me where I said that.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Deflection! Do women of different ethnicites recover from delivery at different rates? The per-capita cost would be the same!
Speaking of simplistic, yours is about as simplistic as it gets. You act as if the entire system would be identical on a 1:1 basis per capita.

You're ignoring the larger issue. Collectivism in general may work to some extent in Norway. That hardly proves it will work to the same extent in the US. A simple look at the relationship between welfare and out of wedlock birth rates and the associated side effects of such reinforces this.

Many of you lefties want it both ways. Lax immigration rules, legalized drugs, etc. But then you want to tack on collectivism when it suits you. But you can't have it both ways.

Quote:
Perahps. Show me where I said that.
Show me where I said you said that. I'm just saying that his solution is no more simplistic than the one he's countering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies