Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:29 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,942,001 times

Advertisements

If you live in the United States, you can't imagine it.

U.S. Maternity Leave Benefits Are Still Dismal - Forbes.com

....The U.S. and Australia are the only developed economies in the world that provide no paid maternity leave. France, Singapore and Austria all offer four months' paid maternity leave benefits, and Germany offers 14 weeks. In the U.K., a woman receives 90% of her salary for up to a year off with her baby. Swedish mothers hit the jackpot with 480 days off at 80% of their salary, followed by their counterparts in Serbia and Denmark with a full year off at full pay. Even in Gambia, Somalia and Vietnam new mothers receive at least three months' paid maternity leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 04:35 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
I think it would be awesome if a Private employer did that, but it shouldn't be mandatory.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Update: Australia will be introducing an 18 week paid maternity leave scheme starting in 2011. It is to be publicly funded, and to provide the federal minimum wage (currently AUS $596.78 a week) rather than a percentage of the primary caregiver's salary. It will not be available to families wherein the primary caregiver has an annual salary above $150,000.[18]

Also, the minimum wage in Australia is $15 an hour compared to only $7 an hour in the US.

------

So the US now stands alone in not providing a national paid maternity leave program.
Only three other countries in the world don't have it: Liberia, Swaziland, Papua New Guinea.

Parental leave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2011, 04:43 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times
Look into FMLA. If I remember the way my employer handles it you take FMLA for a month and use up your accrued sick and vacation time then after I think 3 months if you don't want to return short term disablity kicks in and you can receive 60% of your salary. My wife took off I think a month and used vacation time so we were paid while on FMLA. By law you can take up to a year and still return at your same position no matter what the payment arrangements with the companies HR dept are.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:48 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,292,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
If you live in the United States, you can't imagine it.

U.S. Maternity Leave Benefits Are Still Dismal - Forbes.com

....The U.S. and Australia are the only developed economies in the world that provide no paid maternity leave. France, Singapore and Austria all offer four months' paid maternity leave benefits, and Germany offers 14 weeks. In the U.K., a woman receives 90% of her salary for up to a year off with her baby. Swedish mothers hit the jackpot with 480 days off at 80% of their salary, followed by their counterparts in Serbia and Denmark with a full year off at full pay. Even in Gambia, Somalia and Vietnam new mothers receive at least three months' paid maternity leave.
Ya, we talk a good game about family values but we don't really support families as well as other counties.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 PM

8,598 posts, read 9,093,828 times
Many of those countries are just adding an incentive for their citizens have children for their nation's own good. The US doesn't care or gives a damn. Open borders, anchor babies fill the void very cheaply.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,967,571 times
Fathers get nothing. In Sweden for instance the 480 days has to be split by the mother and father. If you want somebody to blame take it up with the feminists.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Many of those countries are just adding an incentive for their citizens have children for their nation's own good. The US doesn't care or gives a damn. Open borders, anchor babies fill the void very cheaply.

Canada has very high immigration rate with lots of minorities.
But over there you still get up to 50 weeks of paid leave at 55% of pay.
(35 weeks for the mom + 15 weeks for the dad).

In America we probably think such generous benefits are over the top
but it seems to be pretty normal in other countries.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:08 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,538,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Update: Australia will be introducing an 18 week paid maternity leave scheme starting in 2011. It is to be publicly funded, and to provide the federal minimum wage (currently AUS $596.78 a week) rather than a percentage of the primary caregiver's salary. It will not be available to families wherein the primary caregiver has an annual salary above $150,000.[18]

Also, the minimum wage in Australia is $15 an hour compared to only $7 an hour in the US.

------

So the US now stands alone in not providing a national paid maternity leave program.
Only three other countries in the world don't have it: Liberia, Swaziland, Papua New Guinea.

Parental leave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Whoever thought that a nation such as Australia that was founded as a "penal" colony would be so socially advanced as to give their citizens free healthcare, paid maternity leave and a decent minimum wage?
America has the best healthcare if you can afford it sadly.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,401,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Look into FMLA. If I remember the way my employer handles it you take FMLA for a month and use up your accrued sick and vacation time then after I think 3 months if you don't want to return short term disablity kicks in and you can receive 60% of your salary. My wife took off I think a month and used vacation time so we were paid while on FMLA. By law you can take up to a year and still return at your same position no matter what the payment arrangements with the companies HR dept are.
Then when you max out STD you go into LTD. Of course if you didn't sign up for any of that you're SOL.

The OP wants a welfare program where if you get a job you can start popping out babies and then ride the gravy train via the tax payer (while crippling the employer and keeping them from hiring anyone to fill that position or having to hire temporary work). Stimulost you can believe in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies