Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 02:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's not like us gun owners accidentally shoot family, friends or neighbors by accident thinking they are an intruder or something. Um, well not a lot anyway. I'll try and be more careful.
I don't think anything will change with guns on campus or not. Maybe a little more exciting but not much.
But the bad gunman isn't exactly announcing his identity either. Some of these guys are calculating in their actions. A smart one would put his gun away for a minute, wander around like a student, and then all of sudden the good gunmen would be left wondering if the other good gunmen are 'good' or 'bad'. If the bad gunman were even smarter, he'd point at one of the good gunmen and say to another good gunman, "He's got a gun!!"

*bullets fly*

[confusing? it is - imagine the scene under pressure]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Here's an observation by a Canadian visitor who spends every winter in your country and has done for years now.

Your culture has it's roots firmly planted in the gun ownership history of the past. In that regard; the ownership of handguns presents no chest beating, macho ego driven, anomolies for the bulk of your population.

Those that have owned and used handguns for years of their lives present less of a concern to me than would someone who is a new arrival or who has not come froma country with a background in handgun ownership as a cultural entity.

We RV'ed for many years in the U.S. and frequently found ourselves among a group of folks all carrying and were not in the least concerned about that.

Helped out one very elderly couple who had lost battery power in their motorhome and had been marooned in a Walmart parking lot on Pacific Avenue in downtown Yuma Az for three days without A/C or available water.

After hooking them up to my on-board genny and getting them cooled off I was invited inside to sit and chat while my wife went to get them some more bottled water. During our conversation I expressed my concern for their safety (meaning age related healthwise) and the old gent replied "oh we aren't worried with bertha there" - an old Colt 1911 design .45 hanging by a peg through it's trigger guard above the doorway.

He was 96 years old and assumed the safety I was concerned about could not have been age related, but rather safety and security. Lovely people who have both passed on now.

To my way of thinking they exemplified the average U.S. handgun owner; comfortable with it's presence and not thinking of it any differently than any other tool in their possession.

Gun availability is the issue and as long as they are so readily available to all; you NEED a proliferation of them in the hands of responsible, mature thinking adults (the more the better) as the rest are gonna get 'em anyway. JMHO.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
I don't want to infringe on anyones right to own and carry a gun, but to be honest, I don't feel safe with extremists carrying guns. This applies to left or right wing. To conservatives, would you feel safer with The New Black Panthers carrying guns in public? What about the OWS packing heat in the streets?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:11 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'd love to see more gun owners speak out like this.

Unfortunately, I think many see any government restriction on gun ownership as an infringement on their rights and are passive when it comes to gun illegalities.
Gun owners don't need to spend their time "speaking out" about most of those non-issues because they are ALREADY very serious crimes at both the federal and state level, and long have been. This is simply feel-good pandering, feigning outrage over things that have long been illegal with penalties damn near on par with rape and manslaughter charges.

That aside, most of the gun charges are arguably unjustifiably disproportionate considering those are typically non-violent acts anyway, and is simply an exercise in irrationally targeting gun criminals out for heightened punishment for no discernible reason other than pretending to be "tough on crime" against a cherry picked group of people who it is more politically acceptable to crucify simply because it fits in with the cultures rampant anti-gun mentality.

How a person who was convicted of an ostensibly trite drug charge is somehow a "danger" to society for mere possession of a gun, whereas a man who commits manslaughter, rape, bank robbery, and sometimes murder, manages to often get near equal penalties as the guy who never so much as harmed a fly but was nonetheless bagged for possession of a firearm by person with a drug conviction 40 years ago, boggles the mind. No, gun owners DO NOT need to be spending their time worrying about issues like that, unless by worrying what we mean is actually reversing the currently overly-strict laws on what constitutes a "prohibited person."

Old 12-08-2011, 03:12 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
But the bad gunman isn't exactly announcing his identity either. Some of these guys are calculating in their actions. A smart one would put his gun away for a minute, wander around like a student, and then all of sudden the good gunmen would be left wondering if the other good gunmen are 'good' or 'bad'. If the bad gunman were even smarter, he'd point at one of the good gunmen and say to another good gunman, "He's got a gun!!"

*bullets fly*

[confusing? it is - imagine the scene under pressure]

Fun scenario and all, but thats not the way either case happened.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:14 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Gun owners don't need to spend their time "speaking out" about most of those non-issues because they are ALREADY very serious crimes at both the federal and state level, and long have been. This is simply feel-good pandering, feigning outrage over things that have long been illegal with penalties damn near on par with rape and manslaughter charges.

That aside, most of the gun charges are arguably unjustifiably disproportionate considering those are typically non-violent acts anyway, and is simply an exercise in irrationally targeting gun criminals out for heightened punishment for no discernible reason other than pretending to be "tough on crime" against a cherry picked group of people who it is more politically acceptable to crucify simply because it fits in with the cultures rampant anti-gun mentality.

How a person who was convicted of an ostensibly trite drug charge is somehow a "danger" to society for mere possession of a gun, whereas a man who commits manslaughter, rape, bank robbery, and sometimes murder, manages to often get near equal penalties as the guy who never so much as harmed a fly but was nonetheless bagged for possession of a firearm by person with a drug conviction 40 years ago, boggles the mind. No, gun owners DO NOT need to be spending their time worrying about issues like that, unless by worrying what we mean is actually reversing the currently overly-strict laws on what constitutes a "prohibited person."
Case in point. A gun owner who wants gun crimes to be taken lightly.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
I don't want to infringe on anyones right to own and carry a gun, but to be honest, I don't feel safe with extremists carrying guns. This applies to left or right wing. To conservatives, would you feel safer with The New Black Panthers carrying guns in public? What about the OWS packing heat in the streets?

What makes you think none of them are? If you live in a may issue or will issue state, everytime you go to the grocery store , a mall ect there are people carrying.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:16 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
If a school cannot afford to pay for armed guards then of course common sense would be to have all levels of Faculty, armed.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:16 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
What makes you think none of them are? If you live in a may issue or will issue state, everytime you go to the grocery store , a mall ect there are people carrying.
I didn't say they weren't, I just said that I don't feel comfortable or safe knowing that they are packing heat. Do you feel comfortable and safe knowing that?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
I know that I sure do feel safer when at home in South Texas and knowing that a good number of folks around me are likely carrying concealed guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies