Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should handheld cell phone use while driving be legal?
Yes 7 12.50%
Only for calls, but not for texting, e-mailing, etc. 15 26.79%
No 34 60.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:22 AM

13,620 posts, read 12,697,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
Agree 100% . Nice to see other people that have common sense.

But you have to realize that the people who want to outlaw texting and using a phone while driving, are the same people that believe their cars cause global warming, but they still choose to drive. The medical profession calls that moderately mentally insane.

more people die from texting while driving in this country, than there are people killed by terrorist.. but we don't spend 3 billion a week fighting texting while driving..

i fear the lame azz twd texter. more than the terrorist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 07:48 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,659,671 times
they should call it "being a ****ing moron while driving"

Old 12-09-2011, 08:29 PM

535 posts, read 584,310 times
it's amazing that you people are descendants of the wild west..

all your ancestors would disown you- sissy _ _ _ s!!!!!!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:17 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,295,426 times
I see allot of people texting while driving. And it is tempting especially if ur at a stop light. I don't know if the law can change it the society is addicted to technology.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,475,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Substitute using cell phone with DWI and see if you feel the same. I was nearly run off the road several times by people so focused on their phone that they ignored everyone around them.
I have the same experiences almost every morning. People on the phone and swerving into my lane as they are dialing the number, not to even mention the people that some how don't see the stop signs when talking on the phone. Why do people need to be on the phone at 6:30 in the morning any way?

Old 12-09-2011, 09:47 PM

535 posts, read 584,310 times
when you live in FL, you chose those risks. I'm sure your mind is only "IMAGINING" people texting, when it's really just another old couple driving to Church or the pharmacy

Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 PM

10,018 posts, read 9,459,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
it's amazing that you people are descendants of the wild west..

all your ancestors would disown you- sissy _ _ _ s!!!!!!
Yes....being concerned about some distracted fool heading down the road in a two ton vehicle is just being a sissy.

Now don't let risking peoples lives stop you from texting your BFF useless drivel.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 PM

16,870 posts, read 10,516,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I find having and using a cell phone while driving to be very useful. I do not find it any more distracting, except for reading the menu to initiate a call, than talking with a passenger. BTW: I do not look at my passenger while driving and talking with them. I did try texting and found out it was very difficult to pay enough attention to the road to remain safe. It is, for me barely possible on an empty interstate, but way too scary on a twisty back road.

I think texting should be considered to be the same as using drugs or alcohol while driving because attention impaired drivers are a danger to their passengers and other drivers. Not to mention trees, mailboxes, store fronts, pedestrians and all manner of objects they did not see before running into them. I know of one driver that had a head on collision with a snow plow while texting. You know the big orange trucks with the big steel blades.
Exactly. Yet they made calling someone illegal in my state, no now everyone uses text messaging to avoid a ticket. Liberal, controlling, no-thought, knee-jerk, "cha-ching" decisions at their best.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:51 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,475,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
It's illegal here to text and drive and illegal to talk in school zones and work zones...it doesn't do any good.

I talk on the phone while driving and have never had so much as a close call while doing it,BUT I have never texted while driving and can't stand to see anyone else doing it as it takes their attention completely from the road.

Like I said in my earlier post...the drivers I see doing most of the texting while driving around here are young girls,cops and truckers.
Where I live it is mostly middle age women with a van full of kids. I figured my kids would learn by example better than me telling them that it is not OK. There is never a good reason to text while driving.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:57 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,415,049 times
A few days ago actually I was on the highway in the lane next to a car that was swerving within its lane. The car almost came into my lane on several occasions. Thankfully I was quickly able to move over into the next lane.

I was convinced the driver had to be drunk, even though it was only 9 in the morning, until I looked over and saw that the young woman who was driving (at about 70 mph) had both hands on her phone and her eyes glued to the phone. I don't know if she was texting, e-mailing, surfing the web, or on Facebook but it had to be something along those lines. This was in an area where three different freeways come together.

It's one thing to send a text while stopped at a red light, but this is no better than driving drunk (and actually a lot more dangerous than driving with a blood alcohol content of .08 to even about .15-.20).

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 12-09-2011 at 10:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies