Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 12:01 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
so the "poor" are indirectly helping the rich bankers get richer.

And the "poor" are directly helping their rich landlords get richer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
it's a dead-end street without job creation.

But if we had job creation then I would need food stamps because rents would necessarily skyrocket.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What do you expect from a country that gives poor people free cell phones with free minutes?

Where do I sign up for a free cell phone with free minutes?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Welfare was NOT radically changed. It's grown by leaps and bounds since 1996, more people are in Section 8 housing, and Section 8 housing can include huge houses that go for $2500 a month, more people are on food stamps and WIC, more people are on Medicaid.

Then how come I can't even get on the waiting list for Section 8?

Where are these $2500/month Section 8 houses?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:20 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Where do I sign up for a free cell phone with free minutes?
I don't know, try the welfare office or the phone company.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I want to control it.

Contrary to popular belief, my function on this Planet is not to subsidize the life-styles of others.

Welcome to the Ohio Food Control Commission.

Do you support subsidizing homeowners through the tax code and zoning?

Old 12-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don't know, try the welfare office or the phone company.

No free cell phones in my state. Sounds like a state program.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:29 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
No free cell phones in my state. Sounds like a state program.
Lake Forest, CA -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/08/2011 -- There's still time to get a free cell phone and free minutes before Christmas. And it doesn't matter who's been naughty and who's been nice.

“Ten million Americans have already received free cell phones and free minutes,” said Mark Henry, marketing director of FreeGovernmentCellPhones.net. “Why not take advantage of this great government program and get a free Christmas gift for yourself or some member of your family?”

The free government cell phone program sounds too good to be true, but it’s real. It is called Lifeline Assistance and it’s easier to qualify than one might think. One way to qualify is to be a participant in a federal assistance program such as Medicaid, food stamps, Section 8 or a free school lunch program. The other way to qualify is to make less than 135-150% of the federal poverty level ($33,525 for a family of four).

A number of telephone companies across the country work with the government in this Lifeline Assistance program. Three large mobile phone companies – Safelink Wireless, Assurance Wireless and ReachOut Wireless – and numerous smaller companies participate in the free government cell phone program, depending upon the state in which you live...It is a one-stop source for information on the program nationwide.

For inquiries or additional information about the free government cell phones program, visit FreeGovernmentCellPhones.net.

10 million people already got them.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Lake Forest, CA -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/08/2011 -- There's still time to get a free cell phone and free minutes before Christmas. And it doesn't matter who's been naughty and who's been nice.

“Ten million Americans have already received free cell phones and free minutes,” said Mark Henry, marketing director of FreeGovernmentCellPhones.net. “Why not take advantage of this great government program and get a free Christmas gift for yourself or some member of your family?”

The free government cell phone program sounds too good to be true, but it’s real. It is called Lifeline Assistance and it’s easier to qualify than one might think. One way to qualify is to be a participant in a federal assistance program such as Medicaid, food stamps, Section 8 or a free school lunch program. The other way to qualify is to make less than 135-150% of the federal poverty level ($33,525 for a family of four).

A number of telephone companies across the country work with the government in this Lifeline Assistance program. Three large mobile phone companies – Safelink Wireless, Assurance Wireless and ReachOut Wireless – and numerous smaller companies participate in the free government cell phone program, depending upon the state in which you live...It is a one-stop source for information on the program nationwide.

For inquiries or additional information about the free government cell phones program, visit FreeGovernmentCellPhones.net.

10 million people already got them.

Last I looked a couple years ago, free cell phones were available in only a few states and in other states Lifeline covered the miscellaneous nickel and dime federal taxes that add up to several dollars on your phone bill.

Like with other government programs, poor people who share housing with other poor people (because they can't afford their own housing) get screwed. I rent a room in a house with four other people, but only one subsidy per address is allowed, and some else already has it.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:12 AM

298 posts, read 389,783 times
So we had 8 pages of arguing when the solution to the original problem (which I saw several pages back) is for the grocery store to change the classification for a frappuchino from "taxable grocery" to "taxable prepared food" (i.e., not eligible for food stamps)... easy as pie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies