Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:03 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's just an accounting issue, the US also provides healthcare to the needy. The hospital have to accept all patients regardless of ability to pay. The difference is that here, the hospital or state have to pickup the tab and use tax money or in many states they just owe more money.

In other countries, where the taxes are much higher, the cost of healthcare is redistributed.

The Coverage Gap: Uninsured Poor Adults in States that Do Not Expand Medicaid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 04:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
OK, so let's change "own" to "have". The point is the same.

Many things renters "have" are provided by landlords for marketing purposes because landlords market their properties to the mass market and not to the poor. IOW, poor renters who have those things have them only because they have become mainstream middle class products.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:26 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
if you have a whole village that runs barefoot and lives in huts sleeps in hammocks and shares the pig for dinner- they are not living in poverty - if you have a 5 yr old going to kinder with no food in his belly- no well fitting clothes - no warm jacket- with a cough and gram is raising him with her $400 SS check in a shack in GA with little lighting - to go sit with better off kids who have much better- -that's poverty. If you see kids in tatted clothes who live in the streets and harvest the trash mountains for foods and clothes- that's poverty - see babies dying in a desert in Africa where there is no food or water,,, poverty- homeless teens right here in FL trying to graduate from highs school sleeping where he can begging for some change- that's poverty.

it is all relevant to the community - and those who can help and turn their heads- will answer

Old 02-11-2016, 08:58 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Many things renters "have" are provided by landlords for marketing purposes because landlords market their properties to the mass market and not to the poor. IOW, poor renters who have those things have them only because they have become mainstream middle class products.
No, they don't. The first and only apartment I ever lived in with a dishwasher was my senior year in college. I paid out the nose for that apartment. The only reason I did was because my girlfriend and I were moving in together, and she had more expensive tastes. Generally I slummed it up with roommates who likewise didn't care about dishwashers or granite counter tops or having a washer/dryer in the unit. They pay for it as part of their rent. A/C here in Sacramento? Yes. That's almost impossible to find. In the Bay Area or Seattle? No. It's even rarer than dishwashers.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:01 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Food deserts are not a myth.
I agree I live in one in western AZ. Both a Real desert and a food desert. We have to drive 2 hours to Flagstaff to get a decent dinner other than fast food or greasy spoons where you can hear your arteries hardening.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:58 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's just an accounting issue, the US also provides healthcare to the needy. The hospital have to accept all patients regardless of ability to pay. The difference is that here, the hospital or state have to pickup the tab and use tax money or in many states they just owe more money.

In other countries, where the taxes are much higher, the cost of healthcare is redistributed.
When the hospital finally addresses the issue that the person could not afford to pre-emptively deal with, the costs of treatment will have risen remarkably by that time AND taxpayer money being used to re-imburse the Hospital IS the very definition of WEALTH REDISTRIBUTION.

Fram Filter guy said it best: "pay me now, or pay me later".

Old 04-09-2017, 01:42 AM

2,656 posts, read 1,374,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
We can't judge between countries etc. We live in a country where by appearance our poverty is well off. I say this often to people who try to rationalise that poverty in America isn't bad, i say we live in a good country in alot of ways we can stand on a street corner and speakout against our president or government and not have a soldier comeup and shoot us in the head or beat the hell out of us for doing that. But we have other forms of oppressions.

Thou no one in America really knows what its like to live in the kind of poverty that some countries face. Lets not forget that oppression is oppression. Hopelessnes and fear feels the same for the first time battered wife as the battered wife thats gets hit with a baseball bat after being in a longterm absive relationship.

Point being yes our poor have t.v sets etc, but the emotional impact is the same. Some times its worse here in America because socially you know this is the land of oppertunities etc.

At least this has been my experience in the past.
This emotional impact has been made worse because so many Americans have been taught to actively hate the poor. And, no, hate is not too strong of a term. I doubt that this is the case in very many other developed countries, if any, to anywhere near the extent that it is here.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:50 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
This emotional impact has been made worse because so many Americans have been taught to actively hate the poor. And, no, hate is not too strong of a term. I doubt that this is the case in very many other developed countries, if any, to anywhere near the extent that it is here.
its one of the things which makes america truly unique

another is how the working poor in america often demand that they take a bullet so the 1% dont have to ( by voting republican they confirm this ) , that is utterly unique to americans

Old 04-09-2017, 03:21 AM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,743 times
The poorest people of today live better than the richest people of 1900.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:34 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,733 times
There are poor people in the US. That's a fact.

I've lived in East Asia for over 30 years and have seen people who are destitute.

But, if you are poor in the US, it is no comfort that their are people poorer than you elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies