Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 10:48 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, who would you discuss politics with then...strangers?
At least with strangers you have no ties to break or mend with them, because you don't know anything about them.

So it's no-holds barred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 11:03 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
Quote:
Wait!

This is what you're using as PROOF for your argument?

Partisan Trends - Rasmussen Reports™

A .6% difference in the two parties?

Party Affiliation

DO take note of the PA with leaners in Nov 2010.

So...Gallup is using a NINE point spread for their poll - how in the world do they justify that.....based on this years elections? Can't be. Based on 2010 elections? No way.

Something to NOTE when looking at obama's approval numbers - that they had a massive padding for a democrat advantage.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Generic Congressional Vote

Generic ballot - virtually a tie.
Okay and again my point still stands. Furthermore ideology and party affiliation are not connected as much as you would like people to think. If half of the BS you spew was true, there would never be a Democrat elected to any position. While this may be a fantasy of yours, the truth is that there are still more registered Democrats than there are Republicans.

In case you haven't noticed, articles, polls and political opinions are constantly changing. Who wins in 2012 and which party will be the majority party is to be determined. No matter how much you scour the internet and no matter how much time you spend blaming Obama for everything wrong and dragging his name through the mud, you do not know who is going to win the election. In all of your attempts to get people to see things your way, you are more likey to push someone over to the other side with your extreme and unrealistic views accompanied by your distortions of the truth.

The people who side with you were always on your side. Anyone who is able to think objectively is going to be put off. It isn't because they aren't in your league. It is because you have extremely subjective views when it comes to politics, to the point that you will side with birthers, tell lies and agree with anything anyone says in opposition of Obama even if it is not true.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Well, who would you discuss politics with then...strangers?
Why not give your friends and family members a break over the holidays and discuss something other than politics.
As for discussing politics with strangers? arent you doing that on this forum.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The only friends I have lost since I have been an an adult has been through envy, and not on my part.
Sucks being beautiful, smart, successful, and having a long, happy marriage.
Some people just cant handle knowing people like me.

You know how i already feel about you. I too have been pretty lucky with the genes, although think i am a bit older then you.

With you, i see beauty from within, not only the exterior. I have gotten to know you, and feel that you have one of the most beautiful essense, of anyone on here i know.

Your beautiful words of wisdom to me last night, on a night when i needed to here them, is something that will stay with me a long long time. Thank you friend.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:38 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
the key word is choice! They have a choice and their choice is to be perverted sick! And you're right, i could not be freinds nwith people who are sexually perverted. Could you be freinds with a murderer? Who loves to murder!
The way you think is what is wrong with this Country. I know Gay parents that are better parents on any day of the week, then so many married couples who for some odd reason could not make the marriage work.

No what is sick and perverted, are those our children are suppose to put their trust in, such as , teachers, Principles, Priests, Coaches, etc. the very people we are suppose to trust our children with.
That is sick and perverted. Parents who take the life of their own children is perverted. Gay People make the choice, that is not yours to make. Have your opinion, not everyone feels as you do.

See the good in people please, we make too many non issues stand in our way, of seeing the good in people for who they are.

Coaches, who abuse sexually small children, are perverted bastards!

Old 12-11-2011, 12:46 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times

Old 12-11-2011, 12:51 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I don't think you should blame right wing politics. There are plenty of us right wingers who are not at all prejudiced against gay people.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:49 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
lost a friend because of politics?

No...and the reason is simple.

I have friends I talk drag boats with,friends I talk hot rods and custom paint jobs with,friends I discuss guitars with,horses and so forth and so on...BUT,I NEVER talk politics nor my beliefs in GOD with a friend.

I don't want them pushing their agenda in either subject on me and I do not want to push mine on them...they wouldn't be the same people if I tried to change them to my way of thinking and I like them the way they are.
I'm the opposite but for different reasons. Maybe it's a female thing but I dislike compartmentalizing. I agree it's necessary professionally but needlessly myopic in personal relationships. People I call friends aren't selling Amway or worshiping themselves. They're sharing variable perspectives that adds depth & breadth to mutual comprehension of the subject at hand. Comes with the territory of interfaith groups & pursuing cultural interests. Open minds & secure in their identity not optional. Understanding a Hindu doesn't change my Catholic roots and my maker isn't so low to the ground that it only applies to my tribe. My faith isn't in crisis contemplating an atheist book, but neither are my atheist friends feeling lured to convert when I explain the basis of my own opinion originated in the Bible. AKA citing reference material. I don't think in terms of fire and brimstone or chosen children. I have faith in my maker who decided to create atheists. No chips on shoulders.

What's kept things respectful is the common thread of humility. We're certain we aren't omnipotent. I'm less receptive to people who have too many foregone conclusions going on as if they'd mastered the universe and their tombstone was written 60yrs ago. In my experience they're incapable of having collaborative conversations. Not friends. Not even acquaintance. At best a patient. Tolerating intolerance on a one way street is an exercise in folly. Too needy. I'm averse to them because their concept of friendship has more to do with demanding a crutch source of emotional validation rather than 2 human beings fully present and mutually enriched. No such thing as friendship to vampires. Expecting otherwise would be my bad.

My friends have other common characteristics as well. Mastery over the art of agreeing to disagree, intellectual curiosity, and an understanding that anything wrong in our personal lives is 99% of the time a pre existing condition. All of which ultimately goes hand in hand because when opinions have little consensus it betrays a generalized lack of information for all parties involved. Evidence is missing and the conversation changes direction how to go about fetching. You think the brakes are locked up, I think the transmission is seized, but neither of us are aware the differential fluid is gone. We both mean well, we're both wrong, and we'll only remain stuck if we're unwilling to consider more facts or resign ourselves to helplessness. Are we going to 'git er done' or not? Yes, yes, that's an agenda, but is there a sinister plan afoot if we agree it needs fixing? Will the earth swallow you whole if I debunk your brake theory? Is the truth so threatening to who you are I'll be accused of stealing your birthday?

Mules if you've got some mileage you know what I mean. Some are just too thin skinned to have pragmatic discussions without falling apart. They don't get an invitation to the dinner party I'd host because hobbling group conversations to accommodate their dysfunction isn't something I'm willing to pander to. When they're too short to ride the roller coaster, they have the option of growing or resigning themselves to limitations. Forcing all adults to sit at the kiddie table doesn't work.

I'll agree with Kshe and yourself as far as this goes-- never never allow political discussions at a holiday meal (family or friends). That's not the meaning of the holiday and it's disrespectful to the host. In that context it's self indulgent tripe. Banning discussion of current events all other times of year is a pointless self imposed handicap.

As for CD; the mods loathe the poli forum. It's exceptionally rare to see productive conversations happen here. The more people are invested in hatred, the more I know they have nothing going on for themselves and have nothing to offer in the spirit of the greater good. I've learned plenty, but not the conclusions they'd be happy to hear reported. Politics for them is like mental patients administering therapy by forcing their medicine on others or an opportunity to strut Napoleonic fantasies through writ. Neither are qualified at basic citizenship.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:03 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
a number of years ago when i came out as gay to my friend. he was awesome. he was mad that i didn't say anything all along. he was mad that i felt scared to make this known. he was a nice guy, played in a punk rock band and even was my roommate on two occasions.

then he started watching fox news and listening to conservative radio.

he got addicted to politics

at one point a two years ago he told me that if i wanted equality that i should move to california to be with my own kind.

after this we didn't really talk until last week when he asked me if i wanted to start hanging out again.

he said that he is no longer into politics. he is married now and with a kid on the way and with no other friends, wants someone to hang out with occasionally on the weekends.

i told him that i'd like to reconnect.

Why does politics do this to people? how is it beneficial to people if it makes us more hateful and angry then we were originally?
If my best friend came out to me as a Republican Teabagger, I would immediately cut him off and possibly think about getting a restraining order to keep the teabagger away from me. I'm sorry, but I take politics very seriously. Been friends with Republicans... especially teabaggers is not cool in my book.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:07 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
a number of years ago when i came out as gay to my friend. he was awesome. he was mad that i didn't say anything all along. he was mad that i felt scared to make this known. he was a nice guy, played in a punk rock band and even was my roommate on two occasions.

then he started watching fox news and listening to conservative radio.

he got addicted to politics

at one point a two years ago he told me that if i wanted equality that i should move to california to be with my own kind.

after this we didn't really talk until last week when he asked me if i wanted to start hanging out again.

he said that he is no longer into politics. he is married now and with a kid on the way and with no other friends, wants someone to hang out with occasionally on the weekends.

i told him that i'd like to reconnect.

Why does politics do this to people? how is it beneficial to people if it makes us more hateful and angry then we were originally?
Friends should not let friends vote for these republican candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies