Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 07:19 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of posters in this thread are too young to remember when "food stamps" were actually that, coupons that looked like Monopoly money but had government information on it, they were sold/traded freely at a reduced value, usually 50-60 percent of face value, there were no cards to scan or passwords to remember and no one was asked to show their Welfare ID card.

I think "Food stamps" should have a time limit or receiving them and having a lot of children should NOT be a qualifier for receiving them ... if you don't qualify with two children and some income level, having eight will NOT qualify you.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:22 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Ok well next time you go to the grocery with your check, cash or credit card- youre not allowed to buy anything thats not healthy in my eyes.

Does that seem fair? No and its not to someone who gets foodstamps.
I don't suggest they shouldn't be able to buy candy or soda with cash. On their credit card or check that's fine. The key thing is that we DON'T provide cash. We are (or at least should be) providing food and giving a card with money on it to buy at a store is just more efficient and more freedom of choice than simply giving people food physically.

If you think we should be giving them cash or a card they could spend on anything at the grocery store food or not that's defensible but it seems to me to be more inconsistent to allow candy but disallow say paper towels than to allow spinach but not allow candy. Why is it such a violation of freedom to say you can't buy candy and soda with that but totally fine to say you can't buy laundry detergent? Both are restrictions on purchases and neither is something the government should be encouraging people to put into their bodies or their kids'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
I think a lot of posters in this thread are too young to remember when "food stamps" were actually that, coupons that looked like Monopoly money but had government information on it, they were sold/traded freely at a reduced value, usually 50-60 percent of face value, there were no cards to scan or passwords to remember and no one was asked to show their Welfare ID card.
Guilty as charged: before my time.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:26 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Ok well next time you go to the grocery with your check, cash, or credit card- you're not allowed to buy anything that's not healthy in my eyes.

Does that seem fair? No, and it's not to someone who gets foodstamps.
The taxpayer didn't fund MY purchases, not comparable.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:09 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Well, why don't we just chip them with the digital implants then we can control what they buy. It would set a nice precedent and give the government control of how the funds are spent. That way the tax payer would know the money is being put to good use. And since that worked so well, why not require it for everyone. Short of support for that every program is subject to abuse. I'm sure we will be facing this question at some point because the ones we elect will want to protect us. Who can do that better than the ones we elect to represent us.
Oh and while I'm at it. They know you have been staying up late. That has to stop because you need your rest to be productive. So in bed by nine pm or the SWAT team will be sent to tuck you in.

The point I'm trying to make is trying to control what people do is not the answer. It's better to put time limits on something and create incentives.

Last edited by phma; 08-18-2014 at 09:22 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 09:47 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
There are a lot of shoulds in this world and always will be but being that I didn't want to fall in between the "wage" should instead of being out partying, drinking, making babies I couldn't afford instead I got an education that would improve my marketable skills that demand higher pay.

DUH
You know petch you have some distorted ideals? Are you an senior citizen by chance? Asking out of no disrespect. My grandfather used to talk like you "he paid his own way and pulled himself up from his own bootstraps" he would tell us about how he paid for his own college education and if we couldn't do the same things we were lazy etc. Intell he realised that to get his education today cost more then 50k. Getting in debt is not an opportunity. Especially with no promise of success after school.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:55 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Am i the only one who thinks this discussion is wrong? Unless im wrong i believe most people on foodstamps have been/are/will be taxpayers? I don't understand if someone is contributing then, how can anyone shame or have the right to demand anything. Foodstamps are available to anyone who is elgible. Remember most everyone is one or two paychecks away from being homeless. All it takes is one freak accident or incident. So does it make since to cut the safty net.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:17 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Food-stamp program is full of fraud...
With people selling them,etc i have seen people buying..
Grocery carts filled with steaks,porkchops with food stamps.
Many people who work 40 hr work weeks cant afford to eat like this.
Instead of food-stamps give out the generic labeled government food.
The basic milk,cereal,cheese,meats and veggies,etc.
Nobody in government would ever do it but it should be done.
So having the government form stores, farms, factories and warehouses? They tried that in Russia. Didn't work out so well. By the way, go look up how much you get for food stamps and then look up how much food costs. The people using them aren't eating truffles and foie gras for dinner though I doubt you know what those area.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:14 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Geez I cant get Candy, now i cant get a steak.

Damn, what CAN I feed my family then?

Old 08-19-2014, 12:49 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Food-stamp program is full of fraud...
With people selling them,etc i have seen people buying..
Grocery carts filled with steaks,porkchops with food stamps.
Many people who work 40 hr work weeks cant afford to eat like this.
Instead of food-stamps give out the generic labeled government food.
The basic milk,cereal,cheese,meats and veggies,etc.
Nobody in government would ever do it but it should be done.
Why would you want to get rid of something that stimulates the economy as much as food stamps? Nothing stimulates the economy better. The money goes right into the economy.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Geez I cant get Candy, now i cant get a steak.

Damn, what CAN I feed my family then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Vw9RGm1tM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies