Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:54 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambogojo View Post
very true about the safety to american pilots , but what if they learn how to make one. can they reproduce it?
In a word, no. If I give you a Rolex watch, would you be able to make a copy? Having a copy does not reveal how it was made. There's a lot of advanced materials, construction techniques, and intermediate steps that won't reveal themselves in the final product. Reverse engineering itself is a very destructive process. In particular the electronics are very sensitive and won't survive a lot of probing.

So from the political aspect, is it worth risking lives and a possible war knowing that the Iranians probably won't get much from their apparently captured drone? Or perhaps is this a deception campaign where we deliberately floated a specially prepared drone to the Iranians to test their reaction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
The Chinese and Russians are already in Iran, analyzing the hardware and studying the sytems.

This is a major national security gaffe. On Obama's watch. The President likes to crow about he personally got Bin Laden. I wonder if he'll man up and take the heat for this. Not that the liberal press will give him any, of course.

Still, in the words of Joe Biden....

Biden Drops F-Bomb at Historic Signing - New York Post - YouTube

Old 12-12-2011, 07:38 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
In a word, no. If I give you a Rolex watch, would you be able to make a copy? Having a copy does not reveal how it was made. There's a lot of advanced materials, construction techniques, and intermediate steps that won't reveal themselves in the final product. Reverse engineering itself is a very destructive process. In particular the electronics are very sensitive and won't survive a lot of probing.
People seem to forget this part

Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Well between the Russians and Chinese, I'm sure they can figure it out with some good old reverse engineering.

Obama just asked that they return it.... hmmm. I'm sure they will get right on that.

Face it the Iranians figured out how to beat this system and did a great job. Northrup needs to get on the plans to redo all the existing ones so we don't lose them as well. ... Otherwise, we may be seeing them fly overhead...

Old 12-12-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Well between the Russians and Chinese, I'm sure they can figure it out with some good old reverse engineering.
Funny, even though the Chinese reverse engineered the Russian Suhkoi SU-27 as the J-11B jet fighter they failed miserably in in copying the engines and electronics...

So what makes anyone think they can successfully reverse engineer this American drone?

The Iranians? LMAO, they couldn't even keep the American F-14 jets they have flying...

Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
The drone isnt the item they are interested in. They are interested in the sensors and surveillance equipment used on the drone. Thats what they want to know and how to counter it. This drone is a stealth drone and also seeing how it evades detection can enable them to develop ways of detecting it.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:08 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Nooo Obama gave it to them because he is a Marxist Communist Kenyan!

Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 PM

812 posts, read 595,130 times
If the cia had a brain in its head it would have forseen the potential and provided for a destruct mechanism. I find it hard to believe that they are so fing stupid as not to have provided a self destruct mechanism. For that reason it would not surprise me to find out it is an intelligence gathering trojan horse. While the Iraniun scum bags are showing it off maybe they ought to consider taking it apart. When they get started on that process it may then blow up in their little faces. Then again our CIA may wish they thought like Valerie D

Old 12-12-2011, 10:57 PM

Who knows?

Maybe this is obama's covert way of helping out his Muslim buddies....

Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Nooo Obama gave it to them because he is a Marxist Communist Kenyan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Who knows?

Maybe this is obama's covert way of helping out his Muslim buddies....

See... clearly, I wasn't kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies