Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which to defend-- Israel or Christmas
Israel 9 19.57%
Christmas 27 58.70%
Just hope the story goes away 10 21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,551,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Israeli's are free. Prohibition of public displays of Christmas trees is nothing, compared to Copts being massacred.

Israel should be way down on your list of countries to get whipped into a frenzy about.
I'm not "whipped into a frenzy". I'm just posting in a thread. But I never understood why we as Americans would ever support a theocracy, any theocracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 08:05 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,722,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
I'm not "whipped into a frenzy". I'm just posting in a thread. But I never understood why we as Americans would ever support a theocracy, any theocracy.
Israel isn't a theocracy.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Israel isn't a theocracy.
Then why do they call it a "Jewish State" and have the Star of David on their flag, among other things?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Then why do they call it a "Jewish State" and have the Star of David on their flag, among other things?
Israel is a democracy. It is a country that is run by English common law.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/is.html

Iran is a theocracy.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/ir.html

Iran is run By Sharia (religious) law.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Israel is a democracy. It is a country that is run by English common law.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/is.html

Iran is a theocracy.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/ir.html

Iran is run By Sharia (religious) law.
Then why call it a "Jewish State"? Judaism is a religion. There are many types of Jews now, German Jews, Russian Jews, etc....there is no "Catholic State," (except for The Vatican that is not a country in the traditional sense)...

Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Then why call it a "Jewish State"? Judaism is a religion. There are many types of Jews now, German Jews, Russian Jews, etc....there is no "Catholic State," (except for The Vatican that is not a country in the traditional sense)...
Because 76% of Israel is Jewish.

Are you making this stuff up as you go along? Of course the vatican is a country.

Vatican City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will not find any source (other than wacky Islamist site) that claim Israel is a theocracy. There laws and system of government are secular.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:49 PM

[quote]
shorebaby:
Quote:
Because 76% of Israel is Jewish.

Are you making this stuff up as you go along? Of course the vatican is a country.

Vatican City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Respectfully- speaking, you don't know much about Roman Catholicism, do you? The Vatican is recognized as a country but only to let the Pope, as a religous leader, be poltically neutral, it is really only the adminstrative headquarters of the Catholic Church. It is not a nation in the traditional sense, I can not immigrate there, even as a Catholic!!
You will not find any source (other than wacky Islamist site) that claim Israel is a theocracy. There laws and system of government are secular.
If it is secular, then don't call it by a religous name. If it is secular, why does everyone want it recognized as a "Jewish State"? Why not recognize it as "a State who's majority are Jews"? Or simply as "a State"?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
If Israel is a secular democracy, then don't describe or title it as "Jewish". There are many other religous groups there. (Like Christians.)

Old 12-13-2011, 08:53 PM

[quote=cmforte;22110024]
Quote:
shorebaby:
If it is secular, then don't call it by a religous name. If it is secular, why does everyone want it recognized as a "Jewish State"? Why not recognize it as "a State who's majority are Jews"? Or simply as "a State"?
Its not a question. Israel is secular in its government and law. It is a Jewish state because 76% of it's residents are Jewish. you can continue to ask the question, but the answer remains the same. You simply can't point to any credible source which describes israel as anything other than a democracy.

Again, you declare your concerns for Christian brothers everywhere. You seem really focused on Israel for Christmas trees, while your brothers are being tortured and murdered throughout the middle east. I don't recall any threads by you addressing those issues. I wonder why?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 PM

[quote=shorebaby;22110085]
Quote:

Its not a question. Israel is secular in its government and law. It is a Jewish state because 76% of it's residents are Jewish. you can continue to ask the question, but the answer remains the same. You simply can't point to any credible source which describes israel as anything other than a democracy.

Quote:
What other nation is described by the religion of its majority, other than Islamist ones (those theocracies you wrote about)? I will recognize Israel as a State that has Jews, among others, in it.
Again, you declare your concerns for Christian brothers everywhere. You seem really focused on Israel for Christmas trees, while your brothers are being tortured and murdered throughout the middle east. I don't recall any threads by you addressing those issues. I wonder why?
Because those issues are not the subject of this thread. I didn't write the op.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies