U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2011, 09:35 AM
 
9,962 posts, read 11,848,770 times
Reputation: 13287

Advertisements

Navy buys biofuel for $16 a gallon

Quote:
This is going to help the Defense Department weather looming budget cuts, for sure. Teaming up with the Department of Agriculture (which has a cheery Rotary Club ring to it), the Navy has purchased 450,000 gallons of biofuel for about $16 a gallon, or about 4 times the price of its standard marine fuel, JP-5, which has been going for under $4 a gallon.

You won’t be surprised to learn that a member of Obama’s presidential transition team, T. J. Glauthier, is a “strategic advisor” at Solazyme, the California company that is selling a portion of the biofuel to the Navy. Glauthier worked – shock, shock – on the energy-sector portion of the 2009 stimulus bill.

The Navy sale isn’t Solazyme’s first trip to the public trough, of course. The company got a $21.8 million grant from the 2009 stimulus package.
Another link Chicken fat-fuel to power US warships in '12 games | Reuters

Quote:
The military paid $12 million, or about $26 a gallon for the biofuel, far higher than the price of diesel fuel, which is currently under $4 a gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
25,391 posts, read 16,351,905 times
Reputation: 14127
Heads should roll for this. Just one more example of our government wasting the taxpayer's dollars for some fuzzy "green" agenda. Who lined their pockets with this debacle? Can the level of corruption in our government, particularly this administration, be much more obvious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,091 posts, read 10,504,319 times
Reputation: 4104
That also includes the industry investment costs, said at the bottom of the article.

Prices are always highest at the start of industry development cycles, that's been known for decades.

It makes sense to want to lessen our military's vulnerability to fossil fuel supplies with wells in many unfriendly nations and long supply chains. Costs like this were involved in many military developed industries, including the first computers and material sciences. Without these investment the machine you are using to complain about it wouldn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 10:20 AM
 
19,489 posts, read 13,218,892 times
Reputation: 4887
If true, this is just more crony capitalism from 0bama. The private sector refuses to buy that fuel at these bloated prices, so the 0bama admin thinks it should waste taxpayer money to do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 12:35 PM
 
4,990 posts, read 4,464,569 times
Reputation: 1472
You left a lot of info out from the links YOU posted buddy, so let me help you out here.

"Our use of fossil fuels is a very real threat to our national security and to the U.S. Navy's ability to protect America and to project power overseas."

The U.S. government has looked for ways to boost domestic energy production to wean the country off foreign oil, but the effort has been costly.
The amount of the biofuel purchased is a drop in the bucket compared to the military's annual thirst for fuel. The Navy alone burns some 1.26 billion gallons of fuel a year.

The Navy demonstration could teach both the commercial aviation industry and the military about how to incorporate domestically made biofuels, and their potential to add jobs and cut carbon emissions, Vilsack said."

So what its going to be?

Are you cool with spending trillions of dollars, not to mention the blood of youmg American soldiers in the prime of their lives, in yet another subsidy to the fossil fuel cartel and war profiteers, in the neverending wars over a finite, polluting resource?

OR

Rather than having our entire civilization revolve around eggs in a single and dangerous basket, invest in R&D to be domestically self-sufficient in producing a renewable fuel supply that does not wreck our environment nor puts cash and guns into the hands of those that don't give a damn about American lives.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 01:09 PM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,075,134 times
Reputation: 4226
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
You left a lot of info out from the links YOU posted buddy, so let me help you out here.

"Our use of fossil fuels is a very real threat to our national security and to the U.S. Navy's ability to protect America and to project power overseas."

The U.S. government has looked for ways to boost domestic energy production to wean the country off foreign oil, but the effort has been costly.
The amount of the biofuel purchased is a drop in the bucket compared to the military's annual thirst for fuel. The Navy alone burns some 1.26 billion gallons of fuel a year.

The Navy demonstration could teach both the commercial aviation industry and the military about how to incorporate domestically made biofuels, and their potential to add jobs and cut carbon emissions, Vilsack said."

So what its going to be?

Are you cool with spending trillions of dollars, not to mention the blood of youmg American soldiers in the prime of their lives, in yet another subsidy to the fossil fuel cartel and war profiteers, in the neverending wars over a finite, polluting resource?

OR

Rather than having our entire civilization revolve around eggs in a single and dangerous basket, invest in R&D to be domestically self-sufficient in producing a renewable fuel supply that does not wreck our environment nor puts cash and guns into the hands of those that don't give a damn about American lives.

What say you?
Whatever dude. It does NOT justify what they are paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,032 posts, read 6,872,892 times
Reputation: 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
That also includes the industry investment costs, said at the bottom of the article.

Prices are always highest at the start of industry development cycles, that's been known for decades.

It makes sense to want to lessen our military's vulnerability to fossil fuel supplies with wells in many unfriendly nations and long supply chains. Costs like this were involved in many military developed industries, including the first computers and material sciences. Without these investment the machine you are using to complain about it wouldn't exist.

That's exactly why all of our war ships should be nuclear powered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 49,663,819 times
Reputation: 24548
I suggest we start making fuels from coal or cellulose waste and water using high temprature gas cooled nuclear reactors with full fuel recycle. The initial prices would be very high but eventually be competitive as mineable pertoleum became scarce.

These prices are justified if you are looking to the long term availability for liquid transportation fuel. It is a case of pay now or really pay later to your enemies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
7,091 posts, read 10,504,319 times
Reputation: 4104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Whatever dude. It does NOT justify what they are paying for it.
Actually it does to help develop the industry, and the military leadership agrees. This wasn't dictated to them.

If you don't like that people paid high prices for new technology, feel free to protest by packing your computer up and returning it.

They did the same things with them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2011, 01:34 PM
 
2,078 posts, read 1,764,813 times
Reputation: 1456
The military industrial complex is alive and well. Ripping off the taxpayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top