Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like this idea?
Yes 5 35.71%
No 6 42.86%
I need more information. 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
I would add in some volunteer work too, at least three hours a day to that, if not willing or able to go to school then do more vo;unteering, our streets have garbage that needs to be picked up.

Many just dont have the time. They are busy at their under the table cash job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
It pays everyone off down the road. Because these same people, once educated for a different field, will go back and contribute to the economy.

Thoughts? Ideas?
I figure those already educated people are already smart enough to at least look into a different field.

How bout instead of college (what we don't need is more college educated people looking for jobs) that unemployment/welfare be conditional on at least "giving back". Why can't those who are drawing be subjected to community service so many hours a week. Teach an illiterate child to read, work in a senior center, clean graffiti, heck.. pick up trash along side the road. Everyone contributing in the best way they can.. It's gonna take every last one of us to get out of this mess...

Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Interesting idea. I would like to see more than 5 hours/day required, however. I would like to see a required 8-10 hours per day between class and job hunting, and to receive funding, you have to show up dressed professionally, and you have to start at 8am every morning.

So Monday-Friday from 8-5, you have to be either actively job hunting or learning new skills the entire time to receive any government funds.
Are you volunteering to be the INSPECTOR GENERAL?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 AM

1,147 posts, read 909,289 times
Y'know, another idea is to not fund the tuition, but offer a larger unemployment disbursement for those willing to take on student loan debt at a sweetheart rate only available to the unemployed that have held a full time job for at least 5 years.

Work with me here. Think constructively. Because shooting down every idea that comes across the table is exactly what goes on in DC, on both sides, and it's largely responsible for the mess we're in.

All I know is, this is not a bleeding heart liberal idea. Unemployment is starting to affect my bottom line. It inhibits salary growth for all, and destroys the tax base which in turn will end up costing me more in the long run. This is a self-preservation tactic.

Obama DOES have the right idea with regard to investing in America. Unfortunately, rather than TRULY investing in the people, he has just been throwing good money after bad. That also needs to stop.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I figure those already educated people are already smart enough to at least look into a different field.

How bout instead of college (what we don't need is more college educated people looking for jobs) that unemployment/welfare be conditional on at least "giving back". Why can't those who are drawing be subjected to community service so many hours a week. Teach an illiterate child to read, work in a senior center, clean graffiti, heck.. pick up trash along side the road. Everyone contributing in the best way they can.. It's gonna take every last one of us to get out of this mess...
Because that eats up their job-hunting time, and offers no path to employment. It's a nice idea, but not practical. If we have people using up all of their time volunteering, when are they supposed to get out of the hole that they're in?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Dems would never go for it. They only support free money , no strings attatched.
I guess you are wrong surprisingly since I think its a great idea I also want this for anyone getting welfare or food stamps. I guess that shocks you

Old 12-13-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Are you volunteering to be the INSPECTOR GENERAL?
We wouldn't need to inspect anything if the government just adds one small piece of legislation. They need to create a job site. One that everyone, no matter where else they pay to advertise, MUST list their open job on, for free.

Then unemployment recipients must apply for jobs through there. They can find the job anywhere, but all job listings should be required to point back to there. This should at LEAST be a temporary measure, but I'm ok with permanent.

Then we can track it all. Nice and easy. Hell, we could have interviewers at the unemployment office go through and set up profiles with new applicants. That way their skills are coded into the system, and the system could email them jobs.

Oh, and before someone makes the "no pc" argument, that's what libraries are for, and the Unemployment offices could install kiosks for this service at a nominal cost.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Obama DOES have the right idea with regard to investing in America. Unfortunately, rather than TRULY investing in the people, he has just been throwing good money after bad. That also needs to stop.
JMHO, but you won't see him making any decisions for the good of the American people till after the election... Keystone XL is a prime example... if he wins re-election, then he'll either approve or kill it (this most likely may have already happened)... or it'll be left to our next president to clean up the mess...

Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Ummm this is going on to a certain degree. In my state of GA, you can sign up for "approved" courses for free. Some are worthwhile and some are not. The biggest issues are the recruiter end of it. I have several friends who did go through some of these programs that the unemployment office paid for, however, in the end there was still no job. I signed up for Georgia Works and was never contacted other than to be told there were no participants willing to take anyone on. There hasn't been a job fair in my part of the state for 3+ years.

Learn About Education and Training | Let Us Help You | Job Seekers | Georgia Department of Labor

It still all boils down to the issue of not enough jobs - it's still at 5 people for every 1 job, so that means 4 people will remain without work no matter what they do.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Because that eats up their job-hunting time, and offers no path to employment. It's a nice idea, but not practical. If we have people using up all of their time volunteering, when are they supposed to get out of the hole that they're in?
I'm not saying 40 hours a week... but come on... a few hours a week to EARN the check isn't asking too much? How many unemployed folks are setting here right now, posting on City-Data, playing Farmville, or watching TV? If they can't find a way to work a few hours into their schedules then they've got bigger problems than just finding a job..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies