Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 01:08 PM

410 posts, read 742,750 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why so many people care about how other people live their lives. If they aren't hurting anyone, then let them be happy in whatever way they see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 01:08 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Ah yes, the homophobe accusation. For the record, I don't want to hear about anyone's sex life. I could care less. Yet, I'm force fed it all the time, from the gay community.
Just speaking for experience as a non-homophobe that often encounters gays in my community, not one of them has EVER done as you say.

Yet I find accounts of such behavior related all over the Internet, and every time, it's by a homophobe.

I think gays have better GayDar(tm) and can just sniff out their closeted brethren, even when they are hiding behind homophobia.

No, you do care. You are the one obsessed with what other people do with their genitalia.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:11 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Because gays only demand tolerance towards themselves. They are FREE to be intolerant towards christians.

Ah, Christians and their persecution complex. It's so terribly difficult to be straight and Christian in America these days! Can't be president, can't hold positions of power in business or government. Can be fired for being straight, can't talk about the kids, that church picnic you went to last weekend, can't talk about an engagement or wear a wedding ring anymoore. Can't marry or worship as you please....

And oh, it's getting ever so hard to justify the restriction and denial of rights to other human beings based on religion these days. What is the world coming to?!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
There is no inherent "right" for them to have their ceremony and declarations of love and fidelity to each other, be endorsed and subsidized by the government.
That's the issue, isn't it? Gay marriage proponents understand that permitting heteros to do so and not permitting homos to do so is a violation of equal protection, since it is discrimination based on the relative sex of the parties in the absence of any legitimate governmental interest to do so.

Quote:
Our society decides when or if to allow government to sanction or endorse a marriage.
Mmmm not as much as you think. Marriage is a fundamental right.

Quote:
Governments are the people, the laws that are created by government, our laws are an extension of the morals, ethics and opinions of people. Its the people who decided that siblings cannot marry each other, that parents cannot marry their children, and in most every state, that first cousins cannot marry each other.
What the majority wants is absolutely meaningless in light of guaranteed constitutional rights. That's the whole point of HAVING THEM.

Quote:
It's the people in the states who decide if adults can marry minor children, and at what age. It's also the states that decide that men cannot marry men, or if women cannot marry women. What is, and is not sanctioned as marriage is decided upon by the people. Marriage is not a free-for-all, and not some inherent right. It's just that simple, even for an idiot.
Newsflash, whatever they decide has to pass constitutional muster.

Oh, and it is a right. That's not even arguable.
Loving v. Virginia "Marriage is a fundamental right."

Old 12-15-2011, 01:13 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
be careful with your words. if this your defense and to be fair no one cares what gays beliefs about what marriage should be are either. since the majority of us our christians no you will not get gay marriage nor will a lot of people tolerate it
if you cant tolerate us then we cant tolerate you

funny how no gay answered my questions
Over 50% of Americans support same-sex marriage, which would include a majority of Christians. Over half of all Catholics also support it.

Sorry, ultra religious conservatism is an annoying vocal minority, not the majority. Your extreme views are fading away as society becomes more enlightened and civilized.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
lol marriage protection act forbids same sex marriages
And DOMA (which is the law you're referring to), is a violation of the 14th Amendment and Full Faith and Credit Clause in Article IV.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Does it hurt going through life being so utterly obtuse? Start living in the real world, jack.

Straight people shove their sex lives into everyone's face EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY. Just referring to what you and your wife did this past weekend is "shoving your relationship in my face"... yet most people are mature enough to deal with it.

It's called LIFE. Just because you don't pick up on it... wedding rings, birth announcements, weddings, pictures of spouses on desks, "My Kid is an Honor Roll Student..." ALL OF THIS SHOUTS, "I am (most likely) heterosexual, and I have sex because I have kids!"

Then there's soap operas, talk shows, gossip magazines, etc....which is an entire industry built on discussing sex, intimacy and relationships.
Not all do. BUT, yes those bumper stickers are idiotic and more people are childfree these days as well.

So sad people cannot live and let live, and this topic shows who has empathy and a brain, as opposed to who is living in the Dark Ages. Very sad some people need to hate on others to feel alive these days.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
they are not about equal rights they only think about themselves that is why i said they have this gimme gimme gimme attitude and overtime have become very selfish, if you knew anything about christainity you can see that we care about others and spread the word of God. not to mention that many unreligious people do not approve of gay marrige its not natural and is bizarre. in modern times christains are not the one hanging gays and executing them, why the attack on good christian people? i think they people are just as bigoted if not even more.

the smae can be said about stealing, if you shoplift that is a crime and is illegal. cheating is a sin. adultery is a sin. lying is a sin. and being gay is a sin. sorry but parents in genreal just not christain parents do not teach their children to cheat lie and steal do they? gays chose to disobey God no one is forcing them to be gay.
I realize you're a kid, but you haven't the foggiest understanding of Christianity whatsoever. Please just stop trying to participate in educated adult discussions. Gays don't choose to be gay. It's an inborn trait. Stop listening to conservative LIES!!!!!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Over 50% of Americans support same-sex marriage, which would include a majority of Christians. Over half of all Catholics also support it.

Sorry, ultra religious conservatism is an annoying vocal minority, not the majority. Your extreme views are fading away as society becomes more enlightened and civilized.
Divorce rate is over 60% in America....and today even Catholics get divorced. I had to, to survive. The rates are skyrocketing, so anyone who can make marriage work, including same-sex marriage, deserves kudos and credit.

religious conservatism is dying, thank God.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:20 PM

521 posts, read 466,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
In 18 States, Cousins can marry. The State has a compelling interest to keep close relatives from marrying. No such case for couples of the same sex.
Yes they do, it's a psychological illness that needs treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies