Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 12:54 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Then let's come up with another word for it that confers the same legal status and social understanding.
Let's come up with another word for it? How about "absurdity"? This is not some sort of parlor game. And "social understanding" -- by which I assume you mean acceptance -- is not conferred. It's earned. Mocking people because they disagree is not the way to earn it.

Equating polygamy with marriage is something only an idiot would suggest. What's next? "How to explain Big Love to an idiot"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:56 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
This is not some sort of parlor game.

Social understanding is not conferred. It's earned. Mocking people because they disagree is not the way to earn it. And equating polygamy with marriage is something only an idiot would suggest.
They have earned it by the virtue of being humans who, all else being equal, should have the same rights as you. This isn't some sort of a parlor game; it's quite serious, and it's time that we step out of the Stone Age into the 21st century. There's no reason why otherwise perfectly decent and respectable gay people should not be able to have a legal union just because of other people's prejudices.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:44 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
No, but it can definitely lead to polygamy. Polygamists are already set to jump on it as soon as gay marriage is passed in all states.
You're right, actually. I think it would set such a precedent.

Thing is bans on polygamy per se are probably unconstitutional...that directly involves the almighty First Amendment so the state needs a compelling interest to ban it.

So what is the compelling state interest in banning polygamy?

I'm not 100% convinced the reasons are good enough. Explain to me why if a man is stupid enough to have more than one wife (or vice versa) that is has to be any of the government's business.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
They don't need to be closeted
As if that should ever be your say or the government's.

Quote:
but they also don't need to change the meaning of marriage. No 2 men or 2 women or one man and 4 women, etc, etc, etc.
They don't change it...for you, in any way that means anything. This is a bogus argument. It does not change heterosexual marriage in any way.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:48 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Explain it to them this way "a society's greatness will be judged by how well we take care of and protect our weakest members" In other words as for "gay rights" - It is about making sure that harm and injustice does not come to them - because if persecution of woman or gays is allowed - then persecution will eventually come to all - Those who oppress and presecute - don't care if you are straight - gay - male female - black or white - a persecutor is a preditor..People worry about bullying in our schools - well - kids and some adults should be taught that noble people - PROTECT THE WEAK!

Old 12-14-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Explain it to them this way "a society's greatness will be judged by how well we take care of and protect our weakest members" In other words as for "gay rights" - It is about making sure that harm and injustice does not come to them - because if persecution of woman or gays is allowed - then persecution will eventually come to all - Those who oppress and presecute - don't care if you are straight - gay - male female - black or white - a persecutor is a preditor..People worry about bullying in our schools - well - kids and some adults should be taught that noble people - PROTECT THE WEAK!
"LAWS of justice which Hammurabi, the wise king, established. A righteous law and pious statute did he teach the land.

That the strong might not injure the weak, in order to protect the widows and orphans, I have ... in order to bespeak justice in the land, to settle all disputes, and heal all injuries, set up these my precious words, written upon my memorial stone, before the image of me, as king of righteousness."

Code of Hammurabi - Epilogue II

Old 12-14-2011, 06:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Comparing marriage to a toaster is stupid.. You dont own your spouse, you dont buy your spouse, we dont have slavery in america.

who's the idiot that needs this expained to them?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:26 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
How To Explain Gay Rights To An Idiot

It seems that this need to be said, as people seem to think Gay Rights means all sorts of weird things.

It will not lead to bestiality or marrying toasters.
What are "gay" rights, exactly? I was under the impression that gay people got every right that a straight person does in this country. So I'm to understand that they want extra rights? That's unconstitutional.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:35 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What are "gay" rights, exactly? I was under the impression that gay people got every right that a straight person does in this country. So I'm to understand that they want extra rights? That's unconstitutional.
do we have the right to marry in accordance with our unchosen born sexual orientation??? i'll bet you do.

anybody who says gays have the same rights is obviously trying to stir the pot because we KNOW you KNOW this.

why would a gay person have a HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGE. and how come if gay people do they are blamed for ruining someone's life for lying about who they are?

what do people like you want from us? you obviously lack the ability to see things from another person's situation or point of view.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:36 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Gays don't have the right to marry like straight folks. This is presented with descriptions and pictures in the link.

Why did you bother to comment if you didn't even bother to click it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies