Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2011, 04:48 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Being gay is not a choice. Anyone who actually believes such BS solidly proves that they are a complete idiot and not worth the effort.
Being gay is a choice. With no conclusive and convincing evidence to the contrary, this statement is every bit as valid as yours. Repeating such a statement makes it no more valid, nor does calling someone an idiot (although I am tempted here) strengthen your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Yes a gay person can live a lie and pretend to be straight. But.... Imagine if you were forced to pretend you were gay and had to be in a relationship with someone of the same sex to hide the fact that you were straight?
I tried to imagine it but the wretching and gagging made me stop. Kissing (or worse) another guy? Gross!!! There's a natural reason for such reaction from normal folk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Or they could be imprisoned, bashed, killed, subjected to medical experiements like lobotomies, electro-shock therapy, testicular transplants, castration etc.
Ball transplants? I heard of telling someone to 'grow a pair' but never to 'get a new pair sewn on'... Where did they get the donors? (maybe the French military?) Now lobotomies and ECT, maybe that's something worth reconsidering.

Your cited research could be interpretated to show that homosexuality is a birth defect that originates, like mental retardation, in the womb and is due to a chemical imbalance or some genetic deformity. Sorta like being a crack baby or some other misfortune, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 04:58 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Being gay is a choice. With no conclusive and convincing evidence to the contrary, this statement is every bit as valid as yours. Repeating such a statement makes it no more valid, nor does calling someone an idiot (although I am tempted here) strengthen your case.
Really? When did you choose to be heterosexual?

Quote:
I tried to imagine it but the wretching and gagging made me stop. Kissing (or worse) another guy? Gross!!! There's a natural reason for such reaction from normal folk.
You only think it's normal because that is your reaction, no one I know cares.

Quote:
Ball transplants? I heard of telling someone to 'grow a pair' but never to 'get a new pair sewn on'... Where did they get the donors? (maybe the French military?) Now lobotomies and ECT, maybe that's something worth reconsidering.
Wow, you want to make those that are gay to be forced into medical experiments?

Oh yea Nazi human experimentation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's not being an idiot, that's just being outright evil. Not that it seems to bother you.

Quote:
Your cited research could be interpretated to show that homosexuality is a birth defect that originates, like mental retardation, in the womb and is due to a chemical imbalance or some genetic deformity. Sorta like being a crack baby or some other misfortune, eh?
Being gay is in the genes, say researchers | Education | guardian.co.uk

It's not a defect, it just is. Like being tall.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:30 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
you are forgeting the fact that a gay person can live their lives as a normal straight person. i dont understand how you people are attracted to the same sex lol
I wouldn't call living a lie living as a normal straight person. And why is it hard to understand how people can be attracted to the same-sex? There are beautiful people of both sexes. It's not hard to understand how people find them attractive. I have straight male friends who have no problem recognizing a really good looking guy.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:41 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,771,287 times
Quote:
All scientific evidence indicates there is no choice in the matter.

"most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation."

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality

You could also ask actual gay people and stop making stupid assumptions. I'm gay, and have known I was "different" since 3. I know for a 100% fact that I did not choose to be gay. I would have NEVER chosen to be hated, discriminated against, and have had a much much harder life for absolutely no benefit. Not only that, but I spent more than half my life and wasted my teens and 20s, being miserable and begging God to change it. And it didn't happen.

So don't you dare tell me that you know better than I do. Since I live it, my opinion is more valid than yours.

Quote:
No, people truly secure in their sexuality don't wretch at the thought of kissing someone of the same-sex. It's not something they are interested in doing necessarily but they don't get that kind of reaction to it. I don't get grossed out over the thought of opposite sex couples kissing.

Your homophobia is just showing.

Quote:

Hardly. Unless you want to claim that all brain development is a defect since it all occurs under the same mechanisms.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Wow, you want to make those that are gay to be forced into medical experiments?
Lobotomies and ECT were not medical experiments, but were acceptable treatments at the time they were in common use. In the late 70s/early 80s, I worked at a facility where ECT was utilized regularly to alleviate depression and other mental afflictions.

Quote:
That's like saying extreme depression, mental retardation, or cerebal palsy is not a defect. After all, it just is, right? It's all a matter of the general definition of what "normal" is.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:28 AM

674 posts, read 1,055,456 times
Quote:
Lobotomies and ECT were not medical experiments, but were acceptable treatments at the time they were in common use. In the late 70s/early 80s, I worked at a facility where ECT was utilized regularly to alleviate depression and other mental afflictions.

That's like saying extreme depression, mental retardation, or cerebal palsy is not a defect. After all, it just is, right? It's all a matter of the general definition of what "normal" is.
Actually, there are definitive reasons and explanations for why people are born with CP, various forms of retardation and clinical depression.

There is no conclusive evidence one way or another on anything concerning homosexuality.

And yes, I would say that hooking someone up to a machine that shocks them or cutting out their brain were "experiment[s]" since many who were lobotomized were left in vegetative states and people who have gone through ECT overwhelmingly state it did nothing for them.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
So don't you dare tell me that you know better than I do. Since I live it, my opinion is more valid than yours.
So if I see someone hitting themselves on the head with a hammer because they need to have attention and drama in their life, my opinion that such actions are a 'bad choice' is invalid?

And you know what they say about opinions, right?

Quote:
Your homophobia is just showing.
Then I guess you'd also accuse me of "pedophilia-phobia", "arsonist-phobia", "sex-offender-phobia", and even "tax-evader-phobia" as well because of my distain for other selected behaviors? Typical reaction of those attempting to defend the indefensible is to attack not the position, but the character of the opponent, labeling them as "stupid" or "racist" or "phobic" or even "just plain evil". It's that opinion thing again...

Quote:
Hardly. Unless you want to claim that all brain development is a defect since it all occurs under the same mechanisms.
Nope. I'd make that claim only when it results in behaviors/conditions/compulsions which deviate significantly from the norm and cause conditions contrary to the well being of individuals.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:02 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:

Being gay is not normal, it may be a naturally occurring condition, like blindness, but it is not a normal condition. Then again, even blindness can be normal, as with the fish and crabs living in caves, where all of them are blind. But being homosexual is universally abnormal, since unlike being blind, refusing to reproduce would cause any species to cease existence.

As far as choice goes, do people "choose" to not like mayonnaise, broccoli or liver? Is it genetics that decides if we do not like to eat certain foods, or do we decide these things based upon some outside influences that took place in our formative years? Why did some of my kids eat Gerber green peas baby food, but another one throw it up? <shrug>

Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Being gay is not normal, it may be a naturally occurring condition, like blindness, but it is not a normal condition. Then again, even blindness can be normal, as with the fish and crabs living in caves, where all of them are blind. But being homosexual is universally abnormal, since unlike being blind, refusing to reproduce would cause any species to cease existence.
There's a difference between homosexuality being accepted and being considered normal. It's becoming more accepted every day, but so many refuse to consider it abnormal. The push is going far beyond acceptance to the point that you're treated as a bigot if you don't accept homosexuality as normal human behavior.

Sex has one biological purpose; reproduction. That is the norm -- being attracted to the opposite sex for the purpose of propagating the species. Homosexuality is abnormal because it serves no biological purpose. Abnormal doesn't necessarily mean bad, after all.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Really? When did you choose to be heterosexual?

American Psychological Association: No "gay" Gene. - DJohn - Open Salon

Your behind times, The APA has revised this and there is no proof of any Gay gene or biological reason for your Gayness.

Being straight is normal, that only takes a slight amount of common sense to understand, if not we would not continue to exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies