Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:41 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times

Advertisements

Poor people on average do have a somewhat lower IQ, mainly because of a) nutrition and b) stimulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 11:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
If I were a kid, I would have to be motivated to study hard. As a kid I probably wouldn't have the vision it takes to plan my own future.

What I sometimes wonder is why black families or single moms don't move to better areas farther West or wherever, but stay in their problematic neighborhoods. Why stay in Detroit when one is much more likely to find a job in Iowa or Nebraska? Not to mention getting rid of the crime and gloom...
If most kids aren't pushed to study either at home or through some peer pressure mechanism it's just not going to happen.

Also I remember during Katrina some of the evacuees ended up in Utah. When they first moved there they seemed upbeat about their future prospects with many wanting to remain in Utah. However over time many if not most either went back to New Orleans or moved in with relatives who settled in Houston or Atlanta.

It can be very difficult to pick up and move if it's all you know.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:44 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Welfare and food stamps with no strings attached hurts the poor to no end.
Nonsense!

It only "hurts" those whose ambitions for one reason or another have been severely retarded. For those whose ambitions and efforts to realize those ambitions welfare and food stamps are one foundation for the achievement of those ambitions.

Quote:
Drugs and drinking have no limit when you are not accountable to anyone or anything.
Are symptoms of dysfunction, not the cause.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If most kids aren't pushed to study either at home or through some peer pressure mechanism it's just not going to happen.

Also I remember during Katrina some of the evacuees ended up in Utah. When they first moved there they seemed upbeat about their future prospects with many wanting to remain in Utah. However over time many if not most either went back to New Orleans or moved in with relatives who settled in Houston or Atlanta.

It can be very difficult to pick up and move if it's all you know.
Sure, the reason you move will be key. If you are forced to move without there being any reason to do so, you will sooner or later try to return.
And Utah must be hard to bear for most people, not just those from New Orleans

Old 12-14-2011, 11:47 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Oh boy considering by just about every socioeconomic indicator poor Blacks fare worse than poor Whites what do you expect? Here we go with the denials and deflection from the usual suspects.

Also among the 600+ comments that accompany the articles there are several from folks who claim to have grown up poor and White. Some agree with him others do not. Why does everything have to be an attack on Blacks? Why can't things be analyzed on their face value?
You can't imagine that black people might be sensitive if all their life they've heard a constant refrain of "here's what's wrong with black people" and "here's what black people should do"? (something that you yourself contribute to). It's like someone telling you over and over your mother is ugly and here's what she should do to improve her looks. Even if she is ugly, people get touchy about unsolicited advice that's based on "there's something wrong with you."

Why couldn't this article be "what I'd do if I were a poor kid"? Is there an assumption that all poor white kids study hard and have positive goals, and don't need any advice from strangers?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:49 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sure, I am not saying they should move house all the time, like the families of soldiers. But sometimes simply getting away and starting anew is not so bad.
I agree with the general idea that a fresh start can be a good thing for some people, I just think that for non-whites that can be more complicated than it seems. You need to find a place where your child can fit in socially, and not have to deal with so much in isolation, which means a lot of small town America becomes problematic. Most of the places with diversity are bigger cities and those can be expensive. But, I do believe the sentiment you are expressing is partly why we are seeing such a big shift to southern states for a lot of blacks, since the cost of living is lower, opportunity for work can be there and there are lots of pockets of diversity in many southern cities.

Quote:
I think if a child does pull themselves up from their boot straps the battle is pretty much won. The problem as I see it is it is very difficult for a child to do so if there is no support at home. Most kids just don't have that kind of sheer will power.
I agree, and that was my point. Kids should not be expected to do this all on their own, and just saying they should do it is not really a solution. Again, my question is always how can we make it so more kids 1. Even see education as a viable option and 2. have as much support as they need along the way. And of course, the big question is how do we make it so that less kids are even in this position or poverty to begin with?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Nonsense!

It only "hurts" those whose ambitions for one reason or another have been severely retarded. For those whose ambitions and efforts to realize those ambitions welfare and food stamps are one foundation for the achievement of those ambitions.
It is not hard to destroy ambition. If you really believe there's no connection there you've been living in a bubble for a good 20-30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Are symptoms of dysfunction, not the cause.
The dysfunction being a lack of responsibility caused by a lack of necessity for responsibility.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
First this poor black kid is not a economic status and not black.
He/She is a individual with their own work ethic, instilled by his own parents, mentor, sister, brother and a drive to do something with his life whatever that might be. He has a choice to do what he wants with many free resources many thru local government and charity he just needs to apply him/herself. If first government says and society says the role models and media say your a individual and for you to strive to make a change in your lives and those you love you will find a passion and DO SOMETHING about it.
Those who focus on race, and economic status believe they need to over come something they can not change or never will without someone else changing it for them which is the biggest lie ever.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
You can't imagine that black people might be sensitive if all their life they've heard a constant refrain of "here's what's wrong with black people" and "here's what black people should do"? (something that you yourself contribute to). It's like someone telling you over and over your mother is ugly and here's what she should do to improve her looks. Even if she is ugly, people get touchy about unsolicited advice that's based on "there's something wrong with you."

Why couldn't this article be "what I'd do if I were a poor kid"? Is there an assumption that all poor white kids study hard and have positive goals, and don't need any advice from strangers?
Good point. Blacks probably know themselves what is going wrong. If the rest of society really cared they could help in other ways, like by staying in their neighborhoods even if they can afford to move to better parts of town. I hate gentrification

Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
Quote:
LOL you are too pathetic try playing arm chair psych on someone else. Again I will say it slowly I am not African American, I know which country my roots are thank you very much.
Pathetic is you trying to be what you are not!!!

You are not African, to state so is a lie.

Why do people try to be what they are not???..because they hate what they are.

You don't even rile me anymore, you are too pathetic.

Now, you only get pity, I'd give any other cur the same sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies