Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:59 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You left out the part where my insurance premiums increased to pay for this.

So, forgive me if I don't stand up and cheer for this magical "free" medical coverage you are describing....except if I worked for a health insurer that just got increased premium volume (and profits) due to the mandate.

Anyway, this is how an independent "spins" your proclamation of success.

Got any rebuttal for that?
Your insurance premiums are going up because of the greed of the insurance companies, in otherwords they would have raised them anyway. You are not paying for anyone else's enrollment. Whenever there are more healthy people enrolled the cost goes down because they are less likely to be seen. It also prevents the ER's from being clogged up with people with colds and slight boo-boos and they now can focus on real emergencies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 02:02 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Your insurance premiums are going up because of the greed of the insurance companies, in otherwords they would have raised them anyway. You are not paying for anyone else's enrollment. Whenever there are more healthy people enrolled the cost goes down because they are less likely to be seen. It also prevents the ER's from being clogged up with people with colds and slight boo-boos and they now can focus on real emergencies

You do realize that HI rates are set at 80/20 correct? Meaning they must spend 80 of what they invoice paying claims. Ins co,s want claims to go up. When they do their 20% goes up with it.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:04 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If you are going to make assumptions, please provide where all of those 19 to 25 year olds were DENIED insurance BEFORE Obama care was passed.
I was not denied coverage overall, but telling at 22 year old unemployed girl right out of college that she needs to pay $600 a month because she has PCOS is essentially denying care.

I *was* denied some tests on my crappy student insurance that would have allowed me to be diagnosed with cancer when I was in Stage I or II instead of Stage IV 4 years later - including a chest x-ray. It was such a remote possibility with no palpable lymph nodes that I couldn't justify taking on the several thousand dollar cost myself. That was my mistake - but one that was encouraged by doctors (since it was a doctor in the UK who suggested a chest xray and I wasn't covered by NHS there to qualify for care while studying abroad).

Old 12-14-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm confuse those 19-23 could always be covered under their parents health insurance. Why was this age group included?
No they could'nt only under certain circumstances and definitely not with prior health issues

Old 12-14-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
So 2.5 mill people who prolly dont have much of a need for it got it. And the rates went up.
Thats like celebrating that gas went up to 4$ a gallon , but your 7 yr old also gets all the free gas he can burn in his car.
What makes you think this? Young adults are more likely to have accidents than older people. Why do you think that car insurance for a teenager up to twenty somethings are so high?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:09 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
Quote:
Ah so you want a world where insurance companies don't deny claims, don't keep out pre-existing conditions and so forth but where the costs don't go up and up and up.
Yes, I do want a world where insurance companies don't deny claims once people actually get sick, and don't make it impossible to get reasonably priced health insurance even with a pre-existing conditions.

Don't you?

And I actually expect costs to go up every year since that's what it's done my entire life. But I'm not the one complaining about "Obamacare raising my insurance costs" as if they've been flat or decreasing for the last couple of decades (they haven't).

Ideally, I want the same thing every other 1st world county except the US has ... a basic level of healthcare available to every American by default. And I don't mind paying a little more in taxes to fund such a program. The entire US Healthcare system needs an overhaul... though I don't realistically expect that will ever happen.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
So the insurance company is going to insure additional people, pay their claims and almost no one is going to get a rate increase unless they just happened to be pushed from a no-kids category to a category with kids?

That's not how the calculation would work. EVERYONE purchasing a +kids option will see higher rates in order to absorb the additional insureds at a established loss ratio. Hypothetically there would be an offsetting savings via lower future claims inflation as the hospitals etc. would have fewer uninsured and uncollectible accounts.
The naysayers don't mention the hospital's uncollectible accounts which is one of the main reasons that has forced many of them to close

Old 12-14-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
You do realize that HI rates are set at 80/20 correct? Meaning they must spend 80 of what they invoice paying claims. Ins co,s want claims to go up. When they do their 20% goes up with it.
Insurance companies can control the high cost of premiums, but why should they? With Obamacare eventually they will start leveling out which is something that the insurance companies are fretting about

Old 12-14-2011, 02:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Huh? Insurance companies will be in heaven if they had ZERO claims to deal with. For that reason alone, they wouldn't mind sending you or I there either as they have done by denying claims. They don't like "expensive clients".

Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
You left out the part where my insurance premiums increased to pay for this.

So, forgive me if I don't stand up and cheer for this magical "free" medical coverage you are describing....except if I worked for a health insurer that just got increased premium volume (and profits) due to the mandate.

Anyway, this is how an independent "spins" your proclamation of success.

Got any rebuttal for that?
Premiums have been raising for decades. As a matter fo fact they doubled every eight years with the old system, and it was putting a major burden on corporations and on regular people.

PS It is interesting you claim your premium went up because of the mandate, but there us no mandate, and won't be for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies