Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 PM

15,072 posts, read 8,629,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Back on topic:

It appears there's another nativity scene in VA which honors the Flying Spaghetti Monster:

Holiday displays dividing Va. town - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/USCP/PNI/NEWS/2011-12-17-bcholiday_ST_U.htm - broken link)

I'm all for it!
You really don't understand what this all represents, do you? This is nothing more than a disturbing number of alleged adults behaving like 3 year olds, with attempts by elected officials to pacify them, failing. And there seems to be an equally alarming number of other alleged adults who haven't the sense or maturity to recognize that.

Just like children who are out of control and behaving obnoxiously, you've got to knock it off. If you stick a pacifier or candy in a screaming child's mouth every time the scream, all you can look forward to is a screaming monster that no one can tolerate being around.

But I suppose one shouldn't expect much else from a population who's favorite entertainment is the Simpsons, Family Guy, and American idol .. there seems to have been a major stunting of the natural development and maturity of young adults these days.

I fine demonstration of the intellectual prowess of the left to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 02:30 AM

15,072 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sounds like an argument straight out of Pee-Wee Herman's Playhouse... "I know you are, but what am I?"

Sorry, but I don't believe two wrongs make a right.

That's not the point ... there is an entire thread extolling the great loss of his unholiness Christopher Hitchen, who was a truly hate filled person.

The river of tears over there is enough to short your keyboard out, and what does that say about the left wing atheist loving crowd? A whole bunch, and none of it good,

That's the point.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:40 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Separating the two is a clever trick. How do you manage such slight of hand?
It isn't a trick. I celebrate Christmas without the influence of religion. It's quite possible because 80% of the trappings of Christmas are pagan or secular in nature.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I can see you find these people, not very compassionate, but he's been mean-spirited and pissed people off like these comments...........................

"[Mother Teresa] was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said that suffering was a gift from God. She spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction."

He refers to Mother Theresa as “The Ghoul of Calcutta,†and wishes “there was a hell for the ***** to go to.†And in reference to her beatification he said, “The old ***** got it anyway.â€

One day after his death Hitchens appeared on the American television show Hannity and Colmes with Ralph Reed At the very end of the interview, Hitchens concluded "If you gave Falwell an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox."

Two days after Ronald Reagan's death, Hitchens referred to the deceased President as a "cruel and stupid lizard"

Even some Atheists have a not so nice side!! No compassion or empathy, just spiteful and hateful nonsense.
Wouldn't the Christian phrase of "turning the other cheek" be apropos here?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:37 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sounds like an argument straight out of Pee-Wee Herman's Playhouse... "I know you are, but what am I?"

Sorry, but I don't believe two wrongs make a right.
I wasn't suggesting that!! Just showing he was mean-spirited through his whole life and didn't seem to care about saying offensive things, upon others deaths.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I wasn't suggesting that!! Just showing he was mean-spirited through his whole life and didn't seem to care about saying offensive things, upon others deaths.
And again, why are some Christians on this board modeling that behavior when their religious text expressly states to do the opposite?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Wouldn't the Christian phrase of "turning the other cheek" be apropos here?
Funny how Christians are "ALWAYS" excepted to do this. Freedom of speech is for everyone. These people you put up as examples, are not public figures.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And again, why are some Christians on this board modeling that behavior when their religious text expressly states to do the opposite?
Are you excepting me to speak for others, on their behavior??

Old 12-18-2011, 09:45 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,354,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Frankly I don't see what is so controversial or offensive about this. Do Christians not state and argue that their religion is the only true ones, and all the others are false?

How is this different? In fact, it actually seems more polite than some Christian billboards that I have seen lately.
It would be better if we could all cease prostelitizing, especially "in public", but everyone has the right to believe as they choose, and to live their beliefs in their daily life. It's OK if Catholics go to church regularly, and to "confession" before recieving communion; it's OK if Jewish people of faith celebrate Hanukkah rather than Christmas (and their kids should not be made to feel "less than", in school because they are in the minority in the U.S.), it's OK if agnostics and athiests hold world views that are non-religious in nature. No reason at all to be "unpleasant" to each other because of these differences. If widespread public celebration of "Christmas" is a norm in our society, as it is, why be upset because those with other views occasionally express their opinions?

Old 12-18-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Funny how Christians are "ALWAYS" excepted to do this. Freedom of speech is for everyone. These people you put up as examples, are not public figures.
Listen, these people on this thread, thought about what they wanted to say and said it. They put it out there. They are self-professed Christian people. I have a right to call them on the carpet for their hypocritical words when they go around telling others just how wrong they are for their statements.

If they didn't want to be called on it and you don't like it - too bad.

Nothing I said was false or mean. It was a statement of fact. Delighting in another person's death, hoping that they "REALLY" get God now, etc is not Christian in nature. Not in the least. So you'll forgive me if I call the loudest Christians out on their decidedly un-Christian words and thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies