U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 01:43 PM

4,260 posts, read 2,978,067 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon would undergo a full audit within three years under legislation being pushed by U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte.

Ayotte, R-N.H., has offered an amendment to the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act, which the Senate is debating this week, that would call for the audit to be completed by Sept. 30, 2014, she said Tuesday.

“It just makes sense to me,” Ayotte said. “We’re in a fiscal crisis. If we can’t audit the Department of Defense, we wouldn’t be able to get good information to distinguish what is necessary and what would be good for reductions.”

Ayotte, who has also called for the elimination of $800 million in funding for a missile defense system and was the sponsor of an amendment the Senate recently passed that would reduce the Air Force’s fleet of C-5 and C-17 cargo planes from 316 to 301 for a $1.2 billion savings, said she is willing to break from the traditional Republican Party platforms on defense spending to produce appropriate savings.

For example, the Heritage Foundation, a Conservative think tank, criticized the proposal to cut the funding for the missile defense program.

“I believe firmly in protecting the country and having strong national security,” she said. “But I strongly believe that one of my most important responsibilities as a senator is my oversight responsibility. I want to make sure taxpayer dollars are used wisely.”

Ayotte calling for full audit of Pentagon | New Hampshire NEWS06
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 PM

32,581 posts, read 16,664,786 times
A Republican I can agree with. Go for it.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:50 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,843,755 times
I'd love to see it.
There are some areas where funds could be cut; programs eliminated altogether.
They need to do a serious analysis of the costs of FTE v Contract Employee and value added by some of its measurement tools.
The old boy network of bringing retired officers as contractors needs to be reviewed and eliminated.
Civil Service is not a benefit program for retired; they get retirement pay as their benefit for serving.

If you're not aware, Congress looks at FTE (full time equivalent of one person working for a year) and wants them reduced. DoD therefore contracts out work so that they eliminate the FTE but incur greater costs with a contractor from a for-profit company. It's a game of smoke and mirrors; it's a nasty little open secret that costs the taxpayer a lot of money.

Look at Iraq.
Soldiers will be gone by the end of the year.
Contractors remain at the cost of about $200k/year to the taxpayer.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,454,616 times
Call for it all you want.

It's a fantasy.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM

66,574 posts, read 33,850,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
WASHINGTON — The Pentagon would undergo a full audit within three years under legislation being pushed by U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte.

Ayotte, R-N.H., has offered an amendment to the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act, which the Senate is debating this week, that would call for the audit to be completed by Sept. 30, 2014, she said Tuesday.

“It just makes sense to me,” Ayotte said. “We’re in a fiscal crisis. If we can’t audit the Department of Defense, we wouldn’t be able to get good information to distinguish what is necessary and what would be good for reductions.”

Ayotte, who has also called for the elimination of $800 million in funding for a missile defense system and was the sponsor of an amendment the Senate recently passed that would reduce the Air Force’s fleet of C-5 and C-17 cargo planes from 316 to 301 for a $1.2 billion savings, said she is willing to break from the traditional Republican Party platforms on defense spending to produce appropriate savings.

For example, the Heritage Foundation, a Conservative think tank, criticized the proposal to cut the funding for the missile defense program.

“I believe firmly in protecting the country and having strong national security,” she said. “But I strongly believe that one of my most important responsibilities as a senator is my oversight responsibility. I want to make sure taxpayer dollars are used wisely.”

Ayotte calling for full audit of Pentagon | New Hampshire NEWS06

Ron Paul with a wig!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:22 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,843,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ron Paul with a wig!
Why do you feel it necessary to demean the person with the idea?
Is it a problem to give credit where it is due?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:24 PM

11,382 posts, read 7,358,416 times
Would this be the same Ayotte who is trying to make sure the automatic cuts don't happen to Defense spending? That's some fine "fiscal conservatism."

Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM

4,260 posts, read 2,978,067 times
Yes it is. She wants the waste cut, not just anything.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:35 PM

11,382 posts, read 7,358,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Yes it is. She wants the waste cut, not just anything.
We need to cut a lot more than just "waste" at the Pentagon.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 PM

10,907 posts, read 23,199,221 times
Why do you not Offer close Allies (like Canada, Australia, The UK) some decent deals on (SSN) Subs since I know Canada would love to purchase 4-5 Los angles class 688i boats that designed for under-ice operations would be perfect for Canada and we could send them down to be Refitted, Refuled, upgraded at a US naval yard and then tain Canadian navy personal to operate it...

Canada would be able to use it to patrol under the Arctic Ice and it would mean billions doller just for a 10 year service deal and training contracts with the USN. not to mention the cost to by the Subs which would be in the 1.5-1.8 Billion range each.

Australia has diffrent needs then Canada but I Read some where they were looking at purchasing two or three Virgina Class brand new but if not new they could get the use the Block I Virgina class (SSN).

Also since the F-35 JSF II is way behind if Boeing andoffered to build and sell 15-20 F-15SG or put the F-15SE Silent Eagles into porduction and the 25-30 latest upgraded F/A-18A Super Hornets as Stop Gap..The Gen 4++ fighters with The new APG-79 AESA Radar and ALE-55 towed decoy, Improved AN/ALQ-214 jammer and some other Gen 5 goodies entering into production on lattest blocks of the Legacy fighters..

Plus the newer Block fighters would still work with the F-35 and It would be smart Having a few brand new Gen4++ Fighters until the F-35 gets all the kinks worked out and the pilots are used to them a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies