Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:40 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
stick2dawelfare proves our point. Social welfare begets laziness and sloth.
Sorry this goes far beyond laziness. Where the hell do people get the idea that if they don't make their target salary then they shouldn't have to work - but still deserve to be supported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:43 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Sorry this goes far beyond laziness. Where the hell do people get the idea that if they don't make their target salary then they shouldn't have to work - but still deserve to be supported.

Comes down to simple math. Gvmt pays $500 not to work. They dont want a job that pays $580, thats like working for $2 an hr. I wouldn't want to work for $2 an hr either.
If that free $500 disapeared and I was unemployed I would be racing over there for the $580

Old 12-15-2011, 06:46 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Started with the generation that got a trophy just for participating, because they are so special. That were told if they just got a college degree, they would be successful, because they are so special. That were bailed out of every irresponsible predicament they found themselves in by mommy and daddy, because they are so special. That were told that their self esteem is more important than self respect, because they are so special.

That's where it started. I'm terrified to see where it ends.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:57 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you are unemployed does it matter? You take what's available and get a better job when it's available.
Except that many companies simply will not hire overqualified applicants. Or under-qualified ones at that.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:25 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
And the consumer has nothing to do with right?
Next time you see a ferrari, ask yourself why didn't the guy just buy a Honda then think if he did how many people would be outta work.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Except that many companies simply will not hire overqualified applicants. Or under-qualified ones at that.
Yep a mingle aged clean cut white guy is probably not going to get hired at McDonalds, unfortunately you guys will blame affirmative action when in reality the guy is way overqualified and McDonalds know the guy won't stay past a week.

Remember when companies hire, they actually lose money for all the background testing the have to do, it's not free.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:30 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have no marketable skills and my lack of a car makes many jobs inaccessible to me.

For example, I once had a temp job which was accessible by bus, but repeated service cutbacks have since rendered that employer inaccessible to me. Training is (financially) not an option and I believe it is unlikely I will ever again have a job. Nobody wants older burger flippers when there are millions of younger burger flippers available.
Who fault is that? What did you do while you were at school?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
RMPersonnel Inc., a staffing agency in east El Paso says it offers jobs to people all the time, and they fear people are rejecting job offers simply to hold onto their unemployment benefits. This is something the Texas Workforce Commission says is not allowed.

Simply no basis for the assumption they are jumping to here.

If I were to lose my job, I would lose almost 700 dollars a week in income.

Unemployment isn't a vacation, trust me, I've been there.
You have to get up in the morning, fight through traffic, deal with office politics or whatever rigors of the job for $700/week or you can roll out of bed at 12PM, watch Soaps or ESPN, for about $300-$400 a week. For many the choice is an easy one.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Lets look at it this way. If you are a skilled worker, have a college degree, and have worked a decade in a industry, you likely are making quite a bit of money. Probably around 80K a year before taxes. .
If you've been making 80K for 10 years and have no savings for a rainy day, more fool you,

Quote:
They are paying a considerable portion of the tax base.

Now, that skilled worker loses his job. For whatever reason, the company is downsizing, shutting down, going over seas, whatever.

If that guy goes to making 15,000 a year within 3 months of being laid off, we have lost all of his tax income, and we'd have to pay him 20,000 a year in food stamps and housing assistance.
Why?
Quote:

So it benefits us to pay for long term unemployment for this worker, so that they can find a job within the pay range that they were before.
Wishful thinking if there are structural forces at play as to why his job in now gone. The taxpayer should not be burdened or goaded into supporting someone until they find a job that fits their lifestyle.

Quote:
Believe me, 350 dollars a week isn't a lot when you have a 150,000 dollar mortgage, bought one new car with a 300 dollar a month payment, and then utilities.
Sell the car trade it in for an older one, I drive a 96 Sentra with 155K miles and commute roundtrip 100 miles a day. You don't need a new car. The cool thing is I can sell it now for almost the same amount I paid for it nearly 3 years ago. Look into renting out the house and moving in with relatives.

Quote:
They have to have the internet to find a job.
Public library has internet for free.

Quote:
They have to have a phone to get called in for interviews, these things require electricity, and you can't go without heat in the winter or you'll die.
Nowadays I've been contcted first by recruiters via Linkedin or email. Then we setup a phone interview. Look into Skype or something also they give out free phones to the poor.

Quote:
That doesn't leave any money left over, and in all reality, they are going to have to use their savings to supplement the 350 dollars a week you get from unemployment in order to make ends meet.

Do you have assests? Good luck getting food stamps.

Unemployment for a year isn't an unreasonable request for a high end skilled worker to find a job. It actually helps us in the long run tax wise
People make these types of choices all around the globe I'm not sure why Americans think they don't have to. Times are changing, adapt or die.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You have to get up in the morning, fight through traffic, deal with office politics or whatever rigors of the job for $700/week or you can roll out of bed at 12PM, watch Soaps or ESPN, for about $300-$400 a week. For many the choice is an easy one.
700 a week? Most jobs don't pay that these days without a bachelor's or higher. Alot of these jobs pay 10 per hour or less and you whine about people who'd rather stay home and get unemployment. Wages have been stagnant since the 70s but you don't comment on that huh?

If unskilled jobs paid 15 a hour or at least 30k a year you'll see less people on unemployment but when you see alot of modern day slave wages that can't take you outta moms basement, go ahead and get mad all you want bro.. I'm not doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies