Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 11:17 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
And since NONE of the items you listed are taking place ...
Yet.

They way things are going, it will happen sooner than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What was the 2nd amendment placed into our US Constitution for?

When our freedoms and liberty are taken away, the 2nd amendment is to be evoked, to restore our freedom & liberty.
Be careful what you wish for as I don't think anyone in the current USA is prepared to see deaths on US soil the way they were seen during the War of Northern Agression.

Was the 2nd Amendment put into place to protect us from a tyrannical government? Yes. Is your post an appropriate representation by responsible gun owners? Not in my opinion; in fact, I think it is highly irresponsible, with all due respect.

I think if you will check the laws addressing the use of lethal force in your state you will not see armed insurrection as one of those uses protected in the courts. Are you suggesting you want to be a test case? Are you attempting to incite others to violence?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is only an insurrection or rebellion if the people lose. If the people win, then it is a revolution.
What happens is moot point. I presented how the US Constitution sees it, the powers it affords. Do you think the second amendment was for a person to take out the government at whim?

Old 12-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
As best as I can determine the Second Amendment merely protects the right to keep and bear arms. It doesn't sanction the use of those arms for any specific purpose, notwithstanding the musings of Thomas Jefferson or Patrick Henry. And the right peaceably to assemble and petition the government does not guarantee that the wishes of the petitioners prevail.

As long as change can be achieved at the ballot box (i.e., the elections are not so corrupted as to be a mere sham) then talk of tyrants and revolution has no place in our public discourse. Look at what happened as a result of the Tea Party in the 2010 elections: the progressive agenda has been brought to a screeching halt. The will of the people is expressed through our elected officials. If those officials fail to follow the will of the people who elected them then recourse is through the ballot box where you have an opportunity to throw the bums out. But don't use the Second Amendment as an excuse for failing to do your civic duty to work to elect representatives who you feel best represent your values.
Thank you. I agree with much of what you have said.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:30 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What was the 2nd amendment placed into our US Constitution for?
The Constitution tells us exactly why.

"A well regulated Militia (is)... necessary to the security of a free State."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow
When our freedoms and liberty are taken away, the 2nd amendment is to be evoked, to restore our freedom & liberty.
Odd. The Constitution doesn't say that.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:31 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Democratic Sen. Hubert Humphrey put it well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHH
... the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, and one more safeguard against a tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible.
and by extension we can say, although the prospect of armed insurrection against tyranny now appears remote in America, historically it has always proved to be possible.

Historical shifts can happen quickly, and appear impossible beforehand and inevitable after. The fall of the Berlin Wall, for example.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:50 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Be careful what you wish for as I don't think anyone in the current USA is prepared to see deaths on US soil the way they were seen during the War of Northern Agression.

Was the 2nd Amendment put into place to protect us from a tyrannical government? Yes. Is your post an appropriate representation by responsible gun owners? Not in my opinion; in fact, I think it is highly irresponsible, with all due respect.

I think if you will check the laws addressing the use of lethal force in your state you will not see armed insurrection as one of those uses protected in the courts. Are you suggesting you want to be a test case? Are you attempting to incite others to violence?
Excellent Reply
Pssst, you must be a Southerner, it is how many of us in the south still refer to that war, and it is accurate.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:52 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Yet.

They way things are going, it will happen sooner than you think.
If they do you might be surprised who is standing right next you with a gun in their hand

Old 12-15-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
If they do you might be surprised who is standing right next you with a gun in their hand
If you are stnding there brandishing a weapon and not doing it for self-defense then you are part of "they" regarlsess of which "side" you perceive yourself.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
2nd amendment is not an if statement. it is there before during and after.
it is not to be confused with armed rebellion against the state nor criminal behavior.
an armed populous was deemed necessary by the founding fathers. some didnt want it. they tried to get the constitution and bill of rights passed w/o it. it failed. there were smart people back then just like now.
support NRA, bek they support you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies