Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:03 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Only bigots would be offended by someone saying "Merry Christmas".

Feliz Navidad!
Ramadan kareem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 03:08 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,783 times
I wish Merry Christmas to my friends and neighbors - and I mean it. I am not Christian but certainly understand and appreciate the sentiments that come along with such wishes.

It is utterly ridiculous to me that this is supposed to be some kind of "war" - the only trend I have noticed is that an increasing number of people don't want their federal/state/city government to endorse a particular religion. I have a feeling that this has been a trend for quite some time and is not just a recent occurrence.

I've spent many years living in predominantly Jewish neighborhoods in Los Angeles and New York. There, people generally said Happy Holidays to me and everyone seemed fine with it, including Christians and atheists. If I knew someone was Christian, I would wish them Merry Christmas. If I knew someone was Jewish, I'd wish them Happy Hanukkah.

In all my years, I have not a single person who felt offended by somebody using the "wrong" greeting. It seems that everybody understood that it's the sentiment that counts.

To me, there are a few select misguided souls who desperately want to be victims so badly that they need to create some controversy. I see it as unnecessary whining that does nothing other than to take away the warm, generous, andwell-wishing sentiments of the season. It is the very people who cry loudest that there is a war on Christmas who seem to do the most damage.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:17 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I wish Merry Christmas to my friends and neighbors - and I mean it. I am not Christian but certainly understand and appreciate the sentiments that come along with such wishes.

It is utterly ridiculous to me that this is supposed to be some kind of "war" - the only trend I have noticed is that an increasing number of people don't want their federal/state/city government to endorse a particular religion. I have a feeling that this has been a trend for quite some time and is not just a recent occurrence.

I've spent many years living in predominantly Jewish neighborhoods in Los Angeles and New York. There, people generally said Happy Holidays to me and everyone seemed fine with it, including Christians and atheists. If I knew someone was Christian, I would wish them Merry Christmas. If I knew someone was Jewish, I'd wish them Happy Hanukkah.

In all my years, I have not a single person who felt offended by somebody using the "wrong" greeting. It seems that everybody understood that it's the sentiment that counts.

To me, there are a few select misguided souls who desperately want to be victims so badly that they need to create some controversy. I see it as unnecessary whining that does nothing other than to take away the warm, generous, andwell-wishing sentiments of the season. It is the very people who cry loudest that there is a war on Christmas who seem to do the most damage.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:17 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
Yes and if I happened to offend someone I'd just laugh in the retard's face.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:21 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman View Post
I recently saw this post elsewhere:

You all are more than welcome to say Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas or Seasons Greetings or Happy Hannukkah or Happy Kwanza or Happy New Year to me. You can have a Christmas Tree, a holiday tree or no tree. My faith isn't so shaky that any of them threaten my beliefs or that it will bring down humankind or America. It's not about being politically correct. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that other people might not believe as I do. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
I had to rep ya. Great post!

Old 12-15-2011, 03:43 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Do you still say Merry Christmas in person, cards, etc?

I do but am feeling increasingly pressured not to do so. I'm sad about that. It's called "Christmas", but my wife didn't dare use "that" word in the 100s of "Holiday Cards" we just sent to past and current clients, friends and family. Only very close family get a "Christmas card" anymore.

She has a point. Why risk offending someone? But still. Seems like the new avatar for the season ought to be egg shells and tip toes. The spirit is different.

Steve
I can't say I know anyone who would be offended, and I live in a very liberal place with lots of atheists and agnostics around.

No offense, but this sounds a bit contrived.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:

I do but am feeling increasingly pressured not to do so. I'm sad about that. It's called "Christmas", but my wife didn't dare use "that" word in the 100s of "Holiday Cards" we just sent to past and current clients, friends and family. Only very close family get a "Christmas card" anymore.

She has a point. Why risk offending someone? But still. Seems like the new avatar for the season ought to be egg shells and tip toes. The spirit is different.

Steve
Must be a dejavu, we discussed that in great detail just a few days ago
And yes, I say whatever I feel like saying. It's just an empty phrase anyway, like how do you do? Who really wants to know...

Old 12-15-2011, 03:56 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
I say Merry Christmas on December 25th.

Not 2 months before that like the people who believe there is a "war" on Christmas.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:57 PM

9 posts, read 40,264 times
No, I say "Merry Christmas" only on Christmas, and few days after.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:00 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:

Steve
I don't feel any pressure to do or not do anything. If I am talking to someone I know is a Muslim or Jewish out of respect for them I will not say it. If I simply don't know them and am not sure, I'll just say "happy holidays to you".

If I mess up and accidentally say it to the wrong person, screw them if they can't take a joke. This is still a majority Christian nation, they'll get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies