Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I was thinking more Saudi Arabia. The Persians hate the Arabs, and the Shi'a hate the Sunni's. Israel to though, we sign a protective alliance, we should honor that. It doesn't mean we should keep troops or weapons there, but if you mess with them, then we'll bring the pain.

Israel, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc are all scared of Iran.

I say let the Iranians develop a nuclear weapon. If they are dumb enough to use it, it'll be the last thing they ever do.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed.
Let me add my agreement to yours. To invade Iran would be insanity. The Iranians are no more insane than the Chinese, Russians, Pakistanis, Indians or Israel because anyone who doesn't realize the price of a nuclear counter strike is... well insane and the Iranians are far from that.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:35 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
We just got out of Iraq and some have us going to war in Iran, tell me who exactly are these troops, the ones that came home after 3 tours?

The next war congress will need to have a serious debate, not like they did in Iraq and there will need to be a draft for equal sacrifice, not just the 1% and a better reason than we don't like them.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:43 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Default Remembering the Cold War...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Consider the fact that the reason the US Dollar has always been less in value than the Euro is due to Russia selling 9 Million barrels of oil per day in Euros and Rubles, and then there's the millions of cubic meters of natural gas that Russia sells every day in Euros and Rubles.
Quote:
He oversaw the exploitation of the kingdom's oil wealth and the expansion of its private sector, and he sent a generation of Saudis to be educated in the West. He let hundreds of thousands of American troops be based in Saudi Arabia during the first war against Iraq despite heated criticism from other Arab countries.

The king nonetheless used his ability to pump more oil almost at will as a damper on oil prices so as not to damage the world economy. But he worried when prices fell too low to pay the kingdom's bills, and in 1986 he fired his oil minister, Ahmed Zaki Yamani, for allowing crude prices to fall to $10 a barrel from $30.

After the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan in 1979, King Fahd joined with the United States to aid Afghans fighting the Russians. Hume Horan, a former United States ambassador to Saudi Arabia, wrote in a 2004 article for the American Enterprise Institute that William J. Casey, then director of central intelligence, visited the king in 1987.

The American brought a shiny, detailed Kalashnikov rifle. Its stock featured a brass plaque saying that the weapon had been taken from the body of a Russian officer.

"Mr. Casey might as well have been giving the keys to the Kingdom of God itself," Mr. Horan wrote. "The king rose, flourished the weapon, and struck a martial pose."
King Fahd, 82, Dies; Guided the Saudis Between Tradition and Modernization - New York Times

Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The US needs only to seize Khuzestan, which is a province in the southwest that borders Iraq/Kuwait, is bounded to the north by the impassable Zagros Mountains, to the south by the Persian Gulf and to the east by the Iranian Plateau.

Did I mention that 80% of Iran's oil and natural gas are in Khuzestan?

Oh, yes, just a minor detail (the other 20% is in the Azeri Province on the border of Azerbaijan north of Tabriz).

How exactly will Iran function financially and economically if the US is sitting on 80% of Iran's oil?

It won't. At least not for very long.
Quote:
Natural Gas and Petroleum.—Most of the country’s hydrocarbon production activity was located in the southwest, both offshore and onshore. About 40 fields were producing and several other fields were under development. The renovation of existing crude oil refineries at Abadan, Arak, Bandar Abbas, Esfahan, Lavan, and Tehran and the construction of new hydrocarbon refineries at Abadan, Bandar Abbas, Kermanshah, Shiraz, and Tabriz, and in Golestan Province, were expected to ease the domestic demand for imported gasoline. International sanctions and the global economic crisis, however, had adversely affected the availability of financing for oilfield development and oil refinery construction (MEED, 2009; U.S. Energy Information Administration, 2009).
http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pu...b3-2009-ir.pdf

Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
Although we must do everything we can to stop Iran's nuclear program, I don't think governments are concerned that Iran will detonate a bomb when its ready. It will be quite stupid on the part of Iran and as we see, they are clever. The more alarming scenarios are:
1) Iran may help others to develop their bomb (the way Pakistani scientists helped Iran).
2) Iran may deliver a small charge to the God loving folks at Hesbullah (or others). Then, nobody will be able to trace it to the source.
3) Iran may use the weapon for blackmailing purposes.
4) Iran may decide to be more "adventurous" in Iraq and in other places over the world.
All of these scenarios are very bad.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:07 PM

373 posts, read 710,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We just got out of Iraq and some have us going to war in Iran, tell me who exactly are these troops, the ones that came home after 3 tours?

The next war congress will need to have a serious debate, not like they did in Iraq and there will need to be a draft for equal sacrifice, not just the 1% and a better reason than we don't like them.
Draft? Do you think americans will let a draft happen when we have millions of illegals here who even though required by federal law to register have not? Ant going to be no stinkin draft until they fix the broken selective service system to make it fair.Let the fighting begin right here in our front yards if they try to have a draft.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I think if it comes down to it and Israel is backed up as far as they can they will make Iran rue the day they messed with them and I do not think Israel will care what treaty they break nor will they care which Arab country they make mad.

I know as you say,options are limited which is very true,but they do have options and it will be most unpleasant for Iran I think.
....and the Iranians have options too. In fact, they might have more options than Israel has. And those options will be JUST as unpleasant for Israel as Israel's would be for Iran. If provoked, you can bet your ass that Iran will care much less about human rights and treaties than Israel would.

Some of you continue to underestimate Iran. I just don't understand why. Those guys are no joke. Israel doesn't really want any drama with those folks unless we're involved...obviously. Otherwise, they would've tried something already.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Cowboys Fan View Post
This is very true, and scary. The Administration will start some conflict (just to sound like they actually have a clue on foreign policy) and then not want to continue it. They have no military experience.
The U.S. will need to get involved in a conflict with Iran if more evidence of nuclear development, sponsoring terrorism, attacking our allies, etc. pops up.
Is this a serious post?

BTW...Do you plan to join in the Iranian invasion?

Old 12-16-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
There is no need for us to attack Iran at this point. IF it ever came to be that they actually had a nuclear weapon, (which the fear mongers have been trying to scare us with for years, "Iran is getting close!!!"..please, they've been saying it for years), and IF Iran threatened to use it against us, then you bet, gloves are off, we bury them.

Israel does not need us to fight for them. Israel is perfectly capable of defending themselves. I shall say it again, Six Day War. We do not need to go in and fight for Israel. They can take care of themselves.

For the reading impaired, that is not to be read as, "Screw Israel", that is to be read as, "They don't need us to fight for them, they can do it just as well or better without us."

Frankly, I'm tired of us going all over the world and telling people what they can and can not have.

Other countries have nuclear weapons...shall we fight all of them? That would be about the stupidest thing we could ever do.

If we get involved in a conflict with Iran under the guise of "MAYBE" they have a nuclear weapon, we are going to lose badly. If China gets involved? We're done.
I can understand what you're saying about the Six Day War, but Iran aint Syria, Lebanon, or Egypt. Thinking that they are is a very serious underestimation. An Israeli conflict with Iran will not be over in Six Days. You can bet the farm on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies