Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 09:27 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
sorry, you be wrong, the Canadian alternative to the XL is thru the rockies to the west coast. If you look at that process it is mired in red tape, objections by local natives and environmental concerns. some say it could take 50 years to untangle that mess.

glad you have no concern about a spill on someone else's land, I wonder if you would have any concern about a spill in your back yard.

fyi, the concern is a spill in an aquifer that supplies water for millions and provides water for much of our nations food supply.
Did you notice how fast TransCanada came up with an alternate route. Like a couple of days or so. It just goes to show that the only concern was to save TransCanada money and the heck with a sensitive environment.

Another issue about the gateway pipeline to the coast should be of a lot of interest to Americans. You know how important the Columbia river is to the American NW.? Well, I doubt I have to tell you but it's critically important. This proposed pipeline has to cross that river, I think, but not sure it crosses it twice. A spill into that river would be a disaster with major implications for the USA.

Just yesterday, Imperial oil, which is majority owned by Exon, announced another huge huge project in the oil sands. It's something like 10 billion more on top of an ongoing 10 billion dollar development. I don't have the exact numbers here on top of my head but when completed the entire project will be producing something like 750,000 bl per day. You think they plan on getting this oil out by dogsled or something? LOL.

As sure as the sun comes up every day this oil will be sent to the refineries in Texas. It's a sure thing. I'm very pleased that the Obama administration put the heavy hand of government regulation on the keystone project. These oil companies need to be reminded on an ongoing basis that they exist to serve us and not the other way around. The fact that it's now going to be built in a far less sensitive area is a win win for everyone anyway you look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 07:44 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Did you notice how fast TransCanada came up with an alternate route. Like a couple of days or so. It just goes to show that the only concern was to save TransCanada money and the heck with a sensitive environment.

Another issue about the gateway pipeline to the coast should be of a lot of interest to Americans. You know how important the Columbia river is to the American NW.? Well, I doubt I have to tell you but it's critically important. This proposed pipeline has to cross that river, I think, but not sure it crosses it twice. A spill into that river would be a disaster with major implications for the USA.

Just yesterday, Imperial oil, which is majority owned by Exon, announced another huge huge project in the oil sands. It's something like 10 billion more on top of an ongoing 10 billion dollar development. I don't have the exact numbers here on top of my head but when completed the entire project will be producing something like 750,000 bl per day. You think they plan on getting this oil out by dogsled or something? LOL.

As sure as the sun comes up every day this oil will be sent to the refineries in Texas. It's a sure thing. I'm very pleased that the Obama administration put the heavy hand of government regulation on the keystone project. These oil companies need to be reminded on an ongoing basis that they exist to serve us and not the other way around. The fact that it's now going to be built in a far less sensitive area is a win win for everyone anyway you look at it.
The western coast alternative was not developed overnite. I think that was their first choice, or at least they have been working on it for a while now. I read somewhere that legal experts think it would take years to resolve the tribal claims. They are only holding the option open if all else fails.

Not sure why they aren't building refineries up there, I have listen to, "we need more refineries" for years. Start building them IN CANADA.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:00 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,984,659 times
Quote:
Why are we building the Keystone XL? It is my understanding that it is to bring the crude from the Canadian tar sands down to Texas to refine it.

Just wondering why the Canadians don't refine their own products and ship those finished products and keep the waste and by-products up there. Seems like the pipelines needed would be a lot smaller.
The U.S. State dept. won't allow it. All Oil is traded in Dollars.
If they refine it, the FED doesn't get it's cut.

Each state that the pipeline goes through, gets paid per barrel. This is a big revenue stream for the U.S. gov't.

The refineries are not as easy to build as you would think, they require a lot of environmental impact studies, and they are massive polluters. We haven't built new ones in decades. "MONOPOLY"

Old 12-28-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post

Each state that the pipeline goes through, gets paid per barrel. This is a big revenue stream for the U.S. gov't.

The refineries are not as easy to build as you would think, they require a lot of environmental impact studies, and they are massive polluters. We haven't built new ones in decades. "MONOPOLY"
Then why have the wingnuts been harping for more refineries. They make it sound easy to do,lol.

My wife's family had been in oil since the late 1940's. Well aware of the refinery issue. While they might not have build completely new in a while they have been increasing their footprint at existing refineries.

Still doesn't make "material handling" sense to more the crude south to refine it there and to ship it off to China. I guess it is easier to allow the massive polution here than in Canada.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:06 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times
Quote:

Given that you claim that the XL pipeline is the reason that the price of oil is high, you might want to not comment about refineries. You've failed to prove that you know anything of what you're talking about.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:46 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,984,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Given that you claim that the XL pipeline is the reason that the price of oil is high, you might want to not comment about refineries. You've failed to prove that you know anything of what you're talking about.
It is one of the reasons. Oil is not too be looked at month to month.

It is a long term issue.

Current oil prices are due to Saudi buying lots of weapons, multiple carrier groups from NATO patrolling shipping lanes.

Oh! and the warmongering military industrialists wanting to blow up Iran.

I'm not here to prove anything, to you, or anyone else.

Why don't you chill out on your rhetoric. Your ego is showing.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
The western coast alternative was not developed overnite. I think that was their first choice, or at least they have been working on it for a while now. I read somewhere that legal experts think it would take years to resolve the tribal claims. They are only holding the option open if all else fails.

Not sure why they aren't building refineries up there, I have listen to, "we need more refineries" for years. Start building them IN CANADA.
We have a serious shortage of workers and it would be a mega project that we do not have the skilled labour to do Alberta needs to get a population the size of Ontario around 10 Million from the 3.5 Million there now and it cannot grow that fast do to logistics

Old 02-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
It is one of the reasons. Oil is not too be looked at month to month.

It is a long term issue.

Current oil prices are due to Saudi buying lots of weapons, multiple carrier groups from NATO patrolling shipping lanes.

Oh! and the warmongering military industrialists wanting to blow up Iran.

I'm not here to prove anything, to you, or anyone else.

Why don't you chill out on your rhetoric. Your ego is showing.
Please explain why NATO, and really us in the form of THREE carrier task forces, patrolling the Strait of Hormuz? We get around 12% of our oil from the Strait. That is China's oil supply, why aren't they funding this preventive action.?

Old 02-26-2012, 01:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Please explain why NATO, and really us in the form of THREE carrier task forces, patrolling the Strait of Hormuz? We get around 12% of our oil from the Strait. That is China's oil supply, why aren't they funding this preventive action.?
Simple the US and Europe made a backdoor deal with China and we are getting Irans oil for 40% of market value and we all get a cut. We just pretend to play up the US Vs. China image in the media and yet behind closed doors we are all dividing up our cut of the oil...

Remember we are all capitalist nations and buying oil at 40% below market value is a good price and then we sell it at full market up value..

Irans leaders are too set on their nuclear program that if they stopped it and shut it down they would get to trade with the world if not we get their oil at a 60% discount and find ways to slow it down to keep getting as much oil as we can out and before they get enoungh enriched Uranium to make a bomb we strike.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:22 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Why are we going to Build the Keystone XL?
Great question!
Even if the keystone pipeline was switched on today it would not increase production. We are refining at full capacity and would need to build new refineries to increase production. It's a bit like saying that if we send 100 times more traffic down a road then more traffic would get to where it is going in bigger volumes.......... wrong.... it just causes a huge jam and backlog.
We would also be importing more oil from another country and spend even more trillions to make Canada rich.
The keystone pipeline seems to be a political football and not a viable option..... wonder how many palms will be greased with dollars in Washington if the pipeline goes ahead????????????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies