Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:36 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times

Advertisements

build refineries up there instead of the pipeline. there you go, what a simple plan. let them kepp the toxic waste associated with refineries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Ummm....no facilities for refinement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 PM

highly flammable fuel is moved in pipes every day, natural gas AND most of the gasoline we use move thru pipes with little impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
All imported oil is brought in as crude and then refined for the different applications. Can you imagine a super tankers filled with highly flammable fuel?

Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
If we want to create construction jobs, why not put these people to work repairing roads, bridges, and other infrastructure that is quite literally falling apart nationwide?
Can't do that - it would benefit everybody.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:55 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the Question is do you what to buy Oil from Venezuela run by Hugo Chavez.. who is dictator, supports and arms Iran and lets Russia have a massive military base there and has said in many TV interviews that he hates Canada and the US...

Because by 2015-2016 Canada could replace all the imported oil from Venezuela and decrease the amount that is bought from Saudi Arabia (you know the same Saudia Arabia where 19 out of 20 9/11 Hijackers where from and where Osama was Born and where most of funding for al-qaeda comes from)

The Question is do you want North America to become Energy Independant or do you want to keep buying from OPEC.... Which most of the countries part of OPEC are ones that do not like us and support Terroists and cause alot of the trouble in the ME which we have to send troops in harms way to stop them.
We already get most of our oil from Canada:

"According to this, Crude Oil and Total Petroleum Imports Top 15 Countries, as of November 2010, the top source of crude oil for the US is…Canada. Followed by Mexico.
All in all, the United States got over 75% of its crude oil from non Arab states in November of 2010."

Where does the US get most of it’s oil? It’s not from the middle East. It’s from North America | Smart People I Know

I agree with DD on this, I don't believe that the company acted in good faith so deserves no further consideration.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:57 PM

sounds like you think you know all about refineries. they people in the rust belt, living around all the brown fields beg to differ.

air pollution and water pollution are major problems, better Canada deal with those concerns not us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For one thing US companies are damn good at what they do when it comes to refineries and at the moment they can refine more than they can sell hence the reason they are exporting refined products. There is very little waste if any at all from the refinement process. If there is a product that comes out of the refinement process someone will find a use for it. What might of been waste in the past like gasoline or propane for example has all been put to use.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:58 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
highly flammable fuel is moved in pipes every day, natural gas AND most of the gasoline we use move thru pipes with little impact.
Gasoline is not moved in high capacity pipes over long distances.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:59 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Can't do that - it would benefit everybody.
Yes.. it would benefit everybody... but how ya going to pay for it? Are you willing to pay a toll everytime you go over a bridge? Are you willing to raise gas taxes more? Sometimes be careful what you wish for.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Most people buying commercial diesel will write it off anyway.
Since when did pulling up to the pump right at some quickie-mart filling up the pick-up truck become commercial? Instead of assuming... if you'd have ask politely you'd be a lot better off sometimes.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
sounds like you think you know all about refineries. they people in the rust belt, living around all the brown fields beg to differ.

air pollution and water pollution are major problems, better Canada deal with those concerns not us.
Actually I did... I grew up in a refinery town in the midwest where my father worked for Texaco for 30+ years. I'm all for building more refineries, and I can guarantee that the people of that small town would once again gladly say the same thing....

Old 12-16-2011, 01:01 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I agree with you on building nukes, but let me ask you...is there a nuclear powered car for sale where you live?
There are electric-powered cars. Nuclear power generates electricity. Cheap electricity will make electric powered cars more viable to the public, spurring demand, which will spur further innovation, etc., just like cheap gas did during the 20th century.
Quote:
As to the tanker issue, we (I believe) are the largest importer of middle eastern oil. At the very least, one of the largest. Every gallon of oil we use from that pipeline is a gallon we don't need to import, and one that doesn't have to be shipped here via tanker. Will other countries still buy ME oil, and have it shipped by tanker? Sure. But by making the largest petro user more energy independant, we reduce ocean shipping.
'd agree with your point if we had some right to the oil, but as it is, we have no assurances that we're going to get any of it. Every single drop can be sold to China, or Europe, or whatever, which won't help us at all.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:07 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Yes.. it would benefit everybody... but how ya going to pay for it? Are you willing to pay a toll everytime you go over a bridge? Are you willing to raise gas taxes more? Sometimes be careful what you wish for.....
Raise income taxes? Raise capital gains taxes? Cut the military? Take your pick. Believe you me, once more bridges start failing and people die, they'll find a way to pay for it.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:16 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
There are electric-powered cars. Nuclear power generates electricity. Cheap electricity will make electric powered cars more viable to the public, spurring demand, which will spur further innovation, etc., just like cheap gas did during the 20th century.'d agree with your point if we had some right to the oil, but as it is, we have no assurances that we're going to get any of it. Every single drop can be sold to China, or Europe, or whatever, which won't help us at all.
About 75% of the pipelines we've laid over the course of the last five years has been natural gas. To supply what you ask? To fuel power plants that are being converted from coal and to supply our increased electrical needs. But... as with every other pipeline project, we're hit with more and more regs, environmentalists, and absolutely clueless people who often go out and accost the workers. It's not so cut and dried is it? Fossil fuels are a big source (I didn't say the only source) for electrical power.

You also keep blaming the oil/gas industry-- where's the displeasure with Detroit and their lack of planning? When am I going to get a car/truck that does what I need it to with the electrical option? It's not like I have the option to only commute up to 20 miles a day. I don't see a lot of stations that have charging options. I'm still waiting for the day that I can run my car on propane, but until I have a reasonable option for re-fueling I guess that's not happening...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies