Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 06:57 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times

Advertisements

that what MK stands for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Was MK Ferguson and Morrison Knudsen one in the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 AM

fact is rails are a bargain, the cost per passenger mile is much less for rails. if you are truly fiscally conservative you should be all for the increased use of rail transport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Yep, the guy riding the subway shouldn't pay for roads and bridges and the guy driving the car shouldn't pay for the subway.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:02 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
that what MK stands for.
First pipeline job I was ever on with hubby was for MK Rivers.... We ran into one of the spreadmen for MK a few years back. He was still out there everyday inspecting... at 91 years of age! LOL.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:07 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
fact is rails are a bargain, the cost per passenger mile is much less for rails. if you are truly fiscally conservative you should be all for the increased use of rail transport.

Actualy , they are useless to me and Im not fond of paying for someone elses ride to work.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:13 AM

well, some of my tax dollars surely go to fund the roads you drive on and I'm not fond of that. so deal with it. if we were an ALL roadway/no rail country you would be paying a lot more at the pump in taxes, the rails actually hold down the tax bite.

Quote:
Actualy , they are useless to me and Im not fond of paying for someone elses ride to work.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:15 AM

MK once had a wide footprint. there were over 1800 people working in Cleveland.
Quote:
First pipeline job I was ever on with hubby was for MK Rivers.... We ran into one of the spreadmen for MK a few years back. He was still out there everyday inspecting... at 91 years of age! LOL.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:16 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Cant blame ya for not wanting to fund roads, In reality thou, the fuel tax covers the costs of roads. If it was left alone and not put in the general fund as was originaly intended roads with be self sufficiant.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:40 AM

It is called the "TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT" for a reason. There is not one size fits all solution to everyone's transportation needs. More roads or more lanes in a place like NYC wouldn't be practical, thus other modes are used to reduce the gridlock there.

I am in Philly (Bala Cynwyd) at the moment and see first hand how they cope on a multi- modal (if that is a word) level. they use light rail, heavy rail and still use street cars in many areas. seems to work well. When the interstates are "JAMMED", as the like to say here, the rails are running smoothly. I wish many cities didn't abandon their street car systems in the 1950's, we would be better off.

Quote:
Cant blame ya for not wanting to fund roads, In reality thou, the fuel tax covers the costs of roads. If it was left alone and not put in the general fund as was originaly intended roads with be self sufficiant.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:44 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
What does being in tornado alley have to do with it? The pipe will be buried underground..

There are no refineries in North Dakota to refine it.
There is a Diesel refinery going in a small town near Williston this spring.
I believe that the pipeline is going through N.D. right through the same area.
Some of you folks should go to the N.D. forum, cause we seem to be very uneducated about what all this means to our future in that area. It seems to me that all people talk about on my home state thread is the jobs. I am trying to educate myself re: fracing, and the pipeline as I own a home there. It is so much to try to understand, and comprehend. but, I see lots of intelligence on this thread. thanks, I appreciate it.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:55 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Dont you think the Repub. Gov. of Neb. should have the final say where the pipeline goes through the state? Are the Repub. in congress against states rights now that the oil lobby is getting involved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies