Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:54 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The legislation likely sped up the transition, sort of like fuel economy standards. The cost argument is moot now that you can buy a package of four LEDs for $5.00 and 90% more efficient than incandescents.
Im of the mindset that people are perfectly capable of making their own monetary decisions and will do so much better than politicians who have bankrupted the country many times over. I realize this terrifies some who wait on orders from party headquarters as to which lightbulb or car they might be allowed to purchase next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 07:07 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Trump has to make sure we use more coal, oil and gas......and pollute more.

Heck, today I replaced a flouresent tube with an LED tube - 8 watts!

You "conservatives" can keep buying 100W bulbs that run up your electric bills and can catch something nearby on fire.

To think that anyone would make this a political issue illustrates why this country is going downhill. The new world will be won by efficiency and productivity - as well as quality of life (happiness).

It doesn't come from bulbs that put out enough heat to bake something with.

What's next? Horse and Buggies? No iron in them, only copper? How far back do "conservatives' want to travel?

Old 11-05-2018, 07:46 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
To think that anyone would make this a political issue illustrates why this country is going downhill. The new world will be won by efficiency and productivity - as well as quality of life (happiness).
I don't understand.

First, I agree with you: "The new world will be won by efficiency and productivity - as well as quality of life (happiness)". That is the way the natural world works, always has been.

Second, I also agree that this isn't a political issue, and shouldn't be a political issue.

So why make it political by mandating it?

That is exactly what politicizes it, but seems to be exactly what you are for.

Color me confused.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:37 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Some years ago, there was a lounge in the student union building at our university. It was lighted with incandescent bulbs. The people who used the lounge, which had a lot of comfortable chairs and tables, were friendly, smiled at other people and carried on nice conversations.

Then, at the beginning of a school year, all the incandescent lights had been swapped for florescent tubes. There was an immediate change in the people there. They didn't look or smile at others and there were no friendly conversations. They acted more like zombies, who had no interest in one another. This sudden and drastic change in behavior couldn't have just been a coincidence.

At this same time, there was an industry-driven push to outfit all schools in our country with florescent lights. It was a huge benefit to those who made and sold those lights. But at the same time, many large behavioral problems began increasing among young people. A big generation-gap developed between them and older people, that I hadn't seen so much before. The use of drugs increased greatly in younger people and they rejected traditional values to an extent never known before.

I think there was a strong correlation between these things and the exposure of students to florescent lights for 6 hours every school day. The 60 hertz flicker in those lights may not be consciously perceived, but it is still there and I think it has a disruptive effect on people. Since I stopped using a CFL bulb in my bedside lamp and put an incandescent bulb back in it, my sleeping has gotten a lot better. An incandescent bulb produces light, as the resistance in its filament to electric current heats it and makes it glow. There isn't enough cooling in between each of the 60 hertz AC pulses, to cause flickering.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:52 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Some years ago, there was a lounge in the student union building at our university. It was lighted with incandescent bulbs. The people who used the lounge, which had a lot of comfortable chairs and tables, were friendly, smiled at other people and carried on nice conversations.

Then, at the beginning of a school year, all the incandescent lights had been swapped for florescent tubes. There was an immediate change in the people there. They didn't look or smile at others and there were no friendly conversations. They acted more like zombies, who had no interest in one another. This sudden and drastic change in behavior couldn't have just been a coincidence.

At this same time, there was an industry-driven push to outfit all schools in our country with florescent lights. It was a huge benefit to those who made and sold those lights. But at the same time, many large behavioral problems began increasing among young people. A big generation-gap developed between them and older people, that I hadn't seen so much before. The use of drugs increased greatly in younger people and they rejected traditional values to an extent never known before.

I think there was a strong correlation between these things and the exposure of students to florescent lights for 6 hours every school day. The 60 hertz flicker in those lights may not be consciously perceived, but it is still there and I think it has a disruptive effect on people. Since I stopped using a CFL bulb in my bedside lamp and put an incandescent bulb back in it, my sleeping has gotten a lot better. An incandescent bulb produces light, as the resistance in its filament to electric current heats it and makes it glow. There isn't enough cooling in between each of the 60 hertz AC pulses, to cause flickering.
Are you seriously blaming flourecsent light bulbs for a *perceived* rise in drug use?

Say it with me: Correlation is not causation.

Besides, led is vastly superior to both technologies.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:19 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Give me incandescent light bulbs or give me death!

Old 11-06-2018, 04:20 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Im of the mindset that people are perfectly capable of making their own monetary decisions and will do so much better than politicians who have bankrupted the country many times over. I realize this terrifies some who wait on orders from party headquarters as to which lightbulb or car they might be allowed to purchase next.
That is besides the point when the technology is a win/win in this case. You are trying to negatively equivocate the huge success of LEDs with unrelated other items. Moving faster toward a clean energy future benefits everyone. Coal plants are dinosaurs.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:24 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post

So, it would now make economic sense to retrofit all the school building from fixtures to LEDs then.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:50 AM

27,139 posts, read 13,429,141 times
There is an option to bring Incandescent light bulbs back in the UK following Brexit.

They do however use more electricity, and their replacement by energy efficient bulbs has led to a decrease in household bills and a decrase in electricity consumption.

Will Brexit Finally Let Us See the Light? - VICE

The EU now has it's sights formly set on halogen light bulbs, which it now aims to ban.

Europe to ban halogen lightbulbs | Environment | The Guardian

Old 11-06-2018, 04:57 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,357 times
This is a first-world 'crisis'. Haha! Many people live on the streets, don't have food to eat, can't meet bills, have health crisis after health crisis then suffer through bankruptcy, and you guys complain about the quality of light.
Nice to see US has its priorities in order here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies