U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:13 AM

28,493 posts, read 15,453,012 times

Advertisements

Short mention in the budget article...

Quote:
Riders preventing the District of Columbia from funding abortions and stopping a forced transition from incandescent light bulbs were left in the bill after the final round of talks.
Shutdown averted: Deal reached on $1T omnibus package

I know it's only the 100W bulbs for this year. I don't want to go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 10:17 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,688,250 times
Good. At this time there is no energy efficient department store available light that can match the light of an incandescent bulb outdoors in the freezing cold winter months. CFL bulbs can match the light output in warmer months, but get very dim in cold weather. LEDs currently can't match the higher wattage incandescent bulbs yet.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:18 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,420,666 times
Texas Tells Feds: Shove Your Light Bulb Ban

Texas Tells Feds: Shove Your Light Bulb Ban - Culture - Fox Nation

Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 AM

28,493 posts, read 15,453,012 times
More info here.

Spending bill blocks light bulb standards

Quote:
DOE's light bulb rules authorized under a 2007 energy law authored signed by President George W. Bush would start going into effect Jan. 1. The rider will prevent DOE from implementing the rules through Sept. 30.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:20 AM

Texas Secedes From the Federal Incandescent-Light-Bulb Ban

So much for the twisty light bulb Federal mandate in Texas: Governor Perry has signed into law a bill that allows Texans to use incandescent light bulbs as long as they are manufactured in Texas.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:26 AM

3,695 posts, read 3,289,431 times
I've got enough incandescent's stored to last well until I'm dead. I don't like the light the others give off.. What I can't figure out is why our government can't seem to realize that right now there's bigger fish to fry than our light bulbs?

Old 12-16-2011, 10:26 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,122,011 times
No biggie, our congressmen already sold their GE stock

Old 12-16-2011, 10:27 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,364,616 times
I absolutely, positively COULD NOT BE HAPPIER.

However, that being said, the companies who manufacture, distribute and sell the incandescent bulbs will use this as an excuse to raise prices dramatically. They will say.... "Well, we had already retrofitted our factories to accommodate the ban, so producing incandescent lights is going to be very expensive now".... and "In good conscience, we will continue to produce the incandescent, however, we support the movement to "green" America, so we are going to be raising the prices of these bulbs in an effort to encourage consumers to use CFS bulbs instead".

So, even though, technically, you will be able to continue to purchase the bulbs, I would realistically expect a 300% - 500% price increase.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I absolutely, positively COULD NOT BE HAPPIER.

However, that being said, the companies who manufacture, distribute and sell the incandescent bulbs will use this as an excuse to raise prices dramatically. They will say.... "Well, we had already retrofitted our factories to accommodate the ban, so producing incandescent lights is going to be very expensive now".... and "In good conscience, we will continue to produce the incandescent, however, we support the movement to "green" America, so we are going to be raising the prices of these bulbs in an effort to encourage consumers to use CFS bulbs instead".

So, even though, technically, you will be able to continue to purchase the bulbs, I would realistically expect a 300% - 500% price increase.

20yrsinBranson
Even with price increases they will still be cheaper then the twisty bulbs.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:38 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,192,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Good. At this time there is no energy efficient department store available light that can match the light of an incandescent bulb outdoors in the freezing cold winter months. CFL bulbs can match the light output in warmer months, but get very dim in cold weather. LEDs currently can't match the higher wattage incandescent bulbs yet.
That's funny you mention that...I JUST found that out thanks to you.

We have always used incandescent bulbs at home,but we are just finishing our new(to us) place up and I went with CFL bulbs in EVERYTHING...I rewired this entire house myself and everything worked great,but I was leaving there and heading home (the old place) about a week ago...it was after dark and I had the porchlight on....as I stepped out onto the deck the porchlight was so dim I couldn't see ANYTHING.

I went back in,grabbed a new bulb and threw the old one in the trash...next night,same crap...I freaked out and started second guessing my wiring thinking I was getting a feedback or something...I couldn't find anything wrong and the line tested out full power.

Since reading your post I googled it...I may be a dumb ass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies