Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 12:43 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times

Advertisements

Most folk's know that our food system operates in the interest of profit not the peoples well being........

"No one knows this better than family farmers, whose struggle to make a living on the land has gotten far more difficult since corporations came to dominate our farm and food system. We saw signs of it when Farm Aid started in 1985, but corporate control of our food system has since exploded.

From seed to plate, our food system is now even more concentrated than our banking system. "

Willie Nelson: Occupy the Food System

Gardening this next year anyone???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 12:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Yes, you'd be surprised how tightly controlled your food is, all to the benefit of the few monopolies that have a stronghold on them.

People are waking up to this though as Farmer Markets have exploded and consumers are paying more for food they can trust and local restaurants are now starting to source from local farmers.

The big Ag boyz don't like this though; they want NO ONE trying to sell on their turf.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Most folk's know that our food system operates in the interest of profit not the peoples well being........

"No one knows this better than family farmers, whose struggle to make a living on the land has gotten far more difficult since corporations came to dominate our farm and food system. We saw signs of it when Farm Aid started in 1985, but corporate control of our food system has since exploded.

From seed to plate, our food system is now even more concentrated than our banking system. "

Willie Nelson: Occupy the Food System

Gardening this next year anyone???
It has already been happening. The movement to regional and local foods, the return of "victory gardens" replacing non-productive landscaping in people's yards, the growth in farmers markets participants (sellers & customers alike), local farmer co-ops joining with local grocery stores, organic farm to front door deliveries, backyard chickens, urban farming/community garden movements, etc... .Home canning/food preservation has rebounded at an astounding rate.

In return the response by big government and big AG has been more regulations in the name of "food safety" and raids on those daring to provide coop shares in livestock and the processing of "raw" dairy and other organic local foods.

I suspect as the economy worsens over the near term that the IRS will start cracking down on neighbors bartering homegrown food items or exchanging work/skills.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:59 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

In return the response by big government and big AG has been more regulations in the name of "food safety" and raids on those daring to provide coop shares in livestock and the processing of "raw" dairy and other organic local foods.

I suspect as the economy worsens over the near term that the IRS will start cracking down on neighbors bartering homegrown food items or exchanging work/skills.
Sigh! I , too, suspect more gov't intervention to discourage people from growing their own food.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:03 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Do see "Food Inc." if you haven't already. We avoid products that have anything to do with large corporations. Heck did you read that "pure" Florida Orange Juice isn't even pure orange juice?

Old 12-17-2011, 11:27 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,756 times
...hey, go back to foraging for nuts and berries if you want, no one is stopping you...lol!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:30 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
I just ordered a bunch of seeds from Seed Savers and will rotate out this spring when I plant my garden. I also bought a couple of these dwarf orange and banana tree's for Christmas. YOu can keep em indoors. Seem pretty cool. Better have some seeds and be able to hunt when the sheet hits the fan.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:54 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
Occupy Monsanto!

How many countless small farmers has this company destroyed? Seems like they won't stop until they force every last farmer on the planet into using their toxic environmentally destructive farming methods. This company literally wants to outlaw and ban organic farming outright. Monsanto gets my vote for the most vile, evil and dangerous corporation in the world.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:54 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...hey, go back to foraging for nuts and berries if you want, no one is stopping you...lol!
Actually we have a huge blackberry patch on our land, and raspberry and blueberry patches are nearby. I make jam from the berries and the stuff from the store tastes like cardboard compared to mine.

Other than that we buy a lot direct from the farmer, at farm stands or from local companies. Stores around here carry foods from local or regional manufacturers. I really don't need food that has traveled 10,000 miles to get here and is low quality and loaded with chemicals. I also stay away from meat from any of the large names, not only because of the chemicals they put into the meat but also their anitcs with hiring illegal aliens. It may cost more but I'd rather eat real food thank you.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:01 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Count me in as one who's buying as much locally as possible. I go to the actual farm to buy beef or sometimes we'll butcher ourselves, and all my fruits and vegetables come from the local farmers market as much as possible. We have a bee keeper locally that has the BEST honey! And while there's no proven data to support it... homemade/homegrown just tastes better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies