Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

It must be nice. Especially when others are paying for it.

Berry Christmas everybody!!

With More Vacation Days and Separate Travel, Price of Obama

Everyone must sacrifice!! Or more like do as I say not as I do. Getting too cold to golf in DC anyway.

ABC This Week:Obama tells Stephanopoulos everyone must sacrifice - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:09 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Talk about out of touch and disconnected...elitists rarely recognize their own hypocrisy.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:34 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Actually 4 million is a bargain if it keeps him from signing any more legislation while he is on vacation... Lets leave him on vacation for the next 12 months....

Old 12-18-2011, 10:24 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It must be nice. Especially when others are paying for it.
It would be nicer if the idiots who assemble these pathetically meaningless cost calculations had gone to business school and understood he difference between incremental and sunk costs.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Talk about out of touch and disconnected...elitists rarely recognize their own hypocrisy.

Like those with a $500,000 line of credit at Tiffany's who claim they can identify with the commone man, eh?

And need we really start with the hypocrisy of those whining now who said nothing when their little heroes took record numbers of vacation days on someone else's nickel?

Last edited by burdell; 12-18-2011 at 10:44 AM..

Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Like those with a $500,000 line of credit at Tiffany's who claim they can identify with the commone man, eh?

And need we really start with the hypocrisy of those whining now who said nothing when their little heroes took record numbers of vacation days on someone else's nickel?
Difference is this was paid for with his OWN money and he is not the President during the worst economic times in our lives.

Newt is wayy closer to the common person then Obama. Not even close. Has Obama built a habitat for humanity home? Willing to bet not.
He would not know the difference between a hammer and a nail.

Obama, well, its on our dime.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:31 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Show me proof that other presidents, particularly Republicans, took less vacation when they were in office.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:39 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Show me proof that other presidents, particularly Republicans, took less vacation when they were in office.
I think people are more upset about the costs of said vacations than the number of days actually spent on them. Going to a ranch in BFE, Texas sure ain't the same as totting friends, family, staff and security detail over to Hawaii every year. The fact that sometimes the trips entail the family traveling separately doesn't help to much either.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:09 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I think people are more upset about the costs of said vacations than the number of days actually spent on them. Going to a ranch in BFE, Texas sure ain't the same as totting friends, family, staff and security detail over to Hawaii every year. The fact that sometimes the trips entail the family traveling separately doesn't help to much either.
Ok, the cost of BFE, Texas is probably lower. But how much lower is it likely to be?

You're still flying Airforce One with all of the resources and staff (direct, support, maintenance) involved in its operation.

You're still bringing your small army of Secret Service agents, barricades, etc. to protect the guy and his family.

You're still getting a medical staff, 24-hour ambulance, probably a small team of the White House chefs, etc.

You're still bringing and maintaining all of the other infrastructure to allow the president to be securely connected to Washington at all times.

I suppose you save on the house rental and have a somewhat lower impact on the local residents, but I doubt that this constitutes that much of a marginal impact; I suspect that the large bulk of it will be in what I mentioned above.

So I'm not yet convinced that this is a big deal in comparison to what past presidents, both Republican and Democrat, have done - except to partisans who like to look for anything as an Obama punching bag. There are other more valid things for which we could criticize Obama...

Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 PM

59,051 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ok, the cost of BFE, Texas is probably lower. But how much lower is it likely to be?

You're still flying Airforce One with all of the resources and staff (direct, support, maintenance) involved in its operation.

You're still bringing your small army of Secret Service agents, barricades, etc. to protect the guy and his family.

You're still getting a medical staff, 24-hour ambulance, probably a small team of the White House chefs, etc.

You're still bringing and maintaining all of the other infrastructure to allow the president to be securely connected to Washington at all times.

I suppose you save on the house rental and have a somewhat lower impact on the local residents, but I doubt that this constitutes that much of a marginal impact; I suspect that the large bulk of it will be in what I mentioned above.

So I'm not yet convinced that this is a big deal in comparison to what past presidents, both Republican and Democrat, have done - except to partisans who like to look for anything as an Obama punching bag. There are other more valid things for which we could criticize Obama...
Another example of "Do as I say not as I do".

"Obviously unwilling to submit to hubby Barack's executive order for "federal agencies to curtail travel expenses and save," this year First Lady Michelle Obama decided to leave early again for Christmas vacation, and commence with the holiday festivities in Oahu. Last year Michelle went on ahead of her husband, who was delayed by Congress, which is the excuse that has become a Christmas tradition every year since Obama took office.
[LEFT]Not counting expenditures relating to staff and security or the cost of the cargo plane that typically trails the first lady's jet, this year Michelle must have felt entitled to another 10-hour, $6,330-per-flight-hour trip from Washington DC to the $3,500-a-day Winter White House in Hawaii. Christmas 2010 and 2011's early arrivals cost approximately $200,000."
[LEFT]
Read more: Blog: Michelle Antoinette's Hawaii hat trick
[/LEFT]

Read more: Blog: Michelle Antoinette's Hawaii hat trick
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies