Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Both are said to be genetic so yes I am, in that way. Not saying I believe those disorders are genetic but some say they are.
Homosexuality isn't a disorder... I'm not sure whether it's genetic or not (it is not a choice, but I have no clue what causes it).

Alcoholism isn't all genetic... A propensity to alcoholism is genetic, but alcoholism itself isn't. People who have a greater propensity to be alcoholics can choose to not become alcoholics by imposing strict limits on their drinking. They are not alcoholics unless they cannot control their drinking.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:32 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Wait - if that's the case then what do you call what happened with JC Penny? They put out two ads featuring a same sex couple and people starting crying about the fabric of society being ruined.

Chik-Fil-A takes a stance of being against gay marriage and it's suddenly about free speech and family values?

That's rather hypocritical - yeah support free speech, just so long as it lines up with what I believe in!
Point #1: JC Penney is a family store. I personally don't want my daughter coming to me in a few years and asking why two ladies or two men are doing whatever (I didn't see the ad). I want to explain that on my own time, not b/c I took my kid shopping for clothing and they had their weekly circular posted next to the door. Very different than making a statement about one's personal position on gay marriage. Btw, the gays are the ones making the big deal and getting publicity for CFA by doing so....

Point #2: The fabric of society, according to those with traditional values like me, is indeed being ruined. One way it's being ruined is people saying that being gay is perfectly okay and normal. It's not and if the number of gay people were to "take over" (for lack of a better term), the population would die out. Simple as that. So, yes, the fabric of society as we know it is being ruined. Not just this, though, as having children out of wedlock and being unable to financially support them is more detrimental in my opinion.

Point #3: It's not hypocritical to say JCP putting that on their ads is not in line with traditional family values and then to say it's free speech when CFA says its for a marriage between one man and one woman. Both are free speech. We have a right to say JCP is doing the wrong thing just as gays are free to say CFA is doing the wrong thing. Nobody is saying this is about free speech. Both sides can say their piece but it's completely ridiculous to think gay people boycotting CFA will make a difference in their sales or how they operate their business.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
For the last time, people do not have "EVERY right" to discriminate against (or encourage the discrimination of) homosexuals. They may have the LEGAL right to do so, but the moral right is still up for debate. So far, no one has identified a specific harm - much less confirmed it with facts or evidence - caused by homosexuality. You only have your personal beliefs to go on.

Conversely, studies have shown gays to be every bit as good as heterosexuals if not better at both marriage and parenting. If you don't have comparable data to support the opinion they should be discriminated against, claiming you have moral authority on the matter is beyond laughable.

"EVERY right" I realize it's a bit of a cliche, but we should still think before using this phrase.
Nobody is discriminating against them. That's what you're not understanding. I won't address your baloney "studies" again.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Some people apparently think Chick-Fil-A should not donate to anti-gay causes and that CFA's president should not voice anti-gay opinions. That being said, it is correct that this does not necessarily equate with a belief that they should not have the right to donate to anti-gay causes/voice anti-gay opinions.

The Supreme Court has ruled donations as speech. In addition, speech itself is being attacked by those who are upset with the president of Chick-Fil-A has said.

Moreover, the Boston mayor has not only suggested that Chick-Fil-A is not welcome in Boston, but actually suggested they may not be able to get city permits, because of their stances and donations. I would clearly consider this to be a First Amendment issue.
Making the statement "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman" is not anti-gay. He is not hating anybody, he is not discriminating against anyone, or treating anybody differently. He is not even the CEO of the company anymore, he's like 90.

And, the mayor of Boston would be doing something illegal if he were to block any franchisees from getting permits in his city. He is trying to say they have done something discriminatory of which there is no evidence. It's laughable, really. And, the Bostonians can thank him for blocking the creations of dozens of jobs if he goes through with his little plan.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Hobby Lobby lists the organizations it financially support on its website. Instead of guessing (putting your money on something), why not show us with something based in reality.

If you can show me where Hobby Lobby donates money to anti-gay hate organizations that fight for legal discrimination against gay people, then I'll gladly lend my voice in support a boycott against Hobby Lobby.
You are on my ignore list but since someone referenced this post number and you are quoting me, I'll play along.

What does their listing organizations on their website have to do with the reason they are closed on Sunday, which is what I was referring to? They are Christian just like CFA.

Ministry : Our Company : Hobby Lobby - Hobby Lobby

Do you really think they support gay marriage?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post

I love the fact that Chick-Fil-A is actually lying about the reason that the Muppet toys are being recalled. They obviously have the right to their beliefs and opinions but also have to realize as a company that said beliefs can cause their consumers to act out against them.

'Muppets' break off relationship with Chick-Fil-A over gay marriage stance | Momania: A Blog for Busy Moms
Ridiculous accusation. It's not a lie. It's simply spin. They can pull the toys if they want and how do you know that children haven't gotten their fingers stuck in there? A recall is not the same as discontinuation, it's asking for the toys to be BROUGHT BACK TO THE STORE and traded for something else.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It is slander if they dont have proof of such claims, I think they just dug them in trouble claiming Jim Henson products are defective if it isnt the case.
A voluntary recall is when the seller or producer recalls something without being forced to do so by the gov't. CFA asking for the toys back does not mean the toys are defective or harmful, and they even state that, but they state children have gotten their fingers stuck. Hard to disprove that that hasn't happened and that CFA is slandering Henson.

FAIL

Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
To the rest of us who don't "believe" as you do, you ARE the living embodiments of satan.

YOU are the oppressive. YOU are the evil ones who cause misery, shame, death and destruction.

Such a shame your blinded by your own self righteousness you can't understand how much misery you actually cause for others.

But carry on like nothing's wrong. Pat yourself on the back for being good little servants of God and keep lying to yourself. It's just a shame nobody ever taught you people how to keep your special brand of crazy to yourselves.
Thanks for the laugh!!

If you don't believe in Satan, then how can I or any other Christian be the living embodiment of it? Oh, the hyperbole. I have hurt no one, so you can toss your "misery" comment right into the garbage. And I would not start throwing around the crazy word when up until a couple decades ago, homosexuality was considered a mental illness.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:02 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Thanks for the laugh!!

If you don't believe in Satan, then how can I or any other Christian be the living embodiment of it? Oh, the hyperbole. I have hurt no one, so you can toss your "misery" comment right into the garbage. And I would not start throwing around the crazy word when up until a couple decades ago, homosexuality was considered a mental illness.

You, mi lady Andrea, are a seasoned veteran! Well played!!
Let's have another ChickFilA meal.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
See, this is an example of the hate, insults and nastiness of so many who support gay's and who are.
The gay activists boldly proclaim the lie that homosexual behavior is not a sin. They believe that if even so blatant a lie is repeated often enough and loudly enough, some undiscerning people will come to accept it as the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies