Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
watching TV gives money to people I find abhorrent. I suspect buying gas gives money to people you find abhorrent.

abhorrent.... geez everyone we do not agree with is abhorrent... you dont get that this is a problem?

Then why do you watch TV?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Quote:
I think we have become stupid and mean as a society.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this forum at C-D is a perfect example of how we have become stupid and mean as a society.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:08 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Then you aren't reading!! I specifically asked for the hate groups that you people are accusing them of giving money to and you gave me those!! If those are not the hate groups I asked for, then don't present them! Fair???

So read carefully:::: Please give me some links that show Chick Fil A giving money to hate groups!!!

You guys are making false accusations....so back them up!!
Some people refer to them as hate groups. You asked for the ones they were referring to. I gave you the list of the ones they were referring to with the addendum of "I don't call them such, though, because I have a better label for them - one that actually fits".

You're reading far too much into things and it comes off disjointed and crazed. Especially with the extraneous and excessive bolding and red-font.

But it all comes down to that I don't eat Chick-Fil-A. You do.
You don't support the Muppets. I do.

Chick-Fil-A stands for something I don't like.
The Muppets stand for something you don't like.

Neither of us are right or wrong. We're simply stating our opinion with our money.

It's basic, logical, and common sense.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:10 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
It doesn't matter if YOU consider them hate groups or not. I'm not required to give my money to ANY CAUSE I don't agree with, hate group of not.

That goes without saying! Don't change the subject!!
Someone please show me the hate group and their hate-filled statements on their website!!

Don't show that they disagree with your world view. That's a given!

I wanna see the hateful stuff you accuse them of......show me some quotes!!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
watching TV gives money to people I find abhorrent. I suspect buying gas gives money to people you find abhorrent.

abhorrent.... geez everyone we do not agree with is abhorrent... you dont get that this is a problem?
Each of us has to make daily choices for what we'll support and what lines we'll cross. If you are uncomfortable with your money going to support a television or advertisement company that you find abhorrent, you have a choice to make. You may find that you don't feel as strongly as you think and you'll go on watching TV. You may choose to get your television programming through other means like online, so you won't be viewing advertisements. You may find viewing it online is itself abhorrent because of the piracy issue. You may choose not to watch at all. You may choose not to watch...except one day a year for the Superbowl, because as much as you want to you just can't give that up.

All personal choices. Each of us has our own threshold. We're not even always the same from day to day on what that threshold is. But just because it can be difficult to find and maintain those threshold doesn't mean we shouldn't try or that we don't have the right to spend our money where we see fit to.

My big thing is animals. I won't give money to PETA or the HSUS because I don't support those causes and how they spend their money. I also won't give money to celebrities that support those organizations, so I don't buy Celine Dion's music.

Now, do I check every single celebrity's history to make sure they've never supported those organizations? Nope! I'm only human and I'm doing what I can in ways that feel meaningful to me. I don't have to justify my choices or my threshold to any but myself.

If you don't make any choices about companies based on that companies or politics, that's your choice. You've decided there is no threshold so abhorrent that you feel you can't support it or no convenience that you feel is worth going without to support a cause. I'm not sure that's something to be proud of, but again I'm not the one you have to justify that too.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:17 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Someone please show me the hate group and their hate-filled statements on their website!!

Did I accuse them of anything hateful? No. But as you say, they disagree with my world view. So I choose not to give them my money. It really is that simple. Freedom of choice is a glorious thing.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:18 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Do what ever makes you happy, but a boycott of a restaurant is asinine, they were probably paid to do this, it was not favoritism, get over it angry little gay guy.
I think any boycott that sends a message and makes a public statement is far from asinine. You see it that way because you are in disagreement with the cause...too damn bad!

As for your calling the poster "little gay guy", you are proving to be the very small minded person.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:26 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:

I do not believe they are hate groups either, but I believe they promote hate.

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes were the group that passed out my name and phone number to the 300+ members at my high school, along with other non Christians, to "spread the word". My school promptly shut it down but when I contacted FCA hq about the harassment being allowed in one of their chapters, they replied with a pithy apology and said that it was done out of love. Bull****.

Family Research Council's statement on Homosexuality:

Family Research Council believes that homosexual conduct is harmful to the persons who engage in it and to society at large, and can never be affirmed. It is by definition unnatural, and as such is associated with negative physical and psychological health effects. While the origins of same-sex attractions may be complex, there is no convincing evidence that a homosexual identity is ever something genetic or inborn. We oppose the vigorous efforts of homosexual activists to demand that homosexuality be accepted as equivalent to heterosexuality in law, in the media, and in schools. Attempts to join two men or two women in "marriage" constitute a radical redefinition and falsification of the institution, and FRC supports state and federal constitutional amendments to prevent such redefinition by courts or legislatures. Sympathy must be extended to those who struggle with unwanted same-sex attractions, and every effort should be made to assist such persons to overcome those attractions, as many already have.

Bolded are what I find especially hateful. In particular, their stance that homosexuals should be guided to "overcome" their attractions - something that is significantly more harmful than being gay and accepted. Furthermore, their use of "no convincing evidence" is simply code for "we don't want to listen to the overwhelming evidence that proves us wrong".

Exodus International:

No More Hiding - Real Stories for July 2012

Again, promoting people to change who they inherently are is hateful. Encouraging people to lie to themselves is hateful.

In short, telling people they are wrong because they do not fit your faith is hateful. I'm Jewish. You don't see me going around demanding that McDonalds stops selling cheeseburgers, nor do you see Jews try to enforce our beliefs on the world at large (except in some ultraOrthodox groups that are not representative of Jews in general). Our rules are for us. It would be full of hate to insist that others follow our moral code at the detriment of their own values when what they do hurts no one.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:27 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,543 times
Lesson of the day:

Don't dare speak negative of gays or homosexuality or face the relentless wrath of gays, the left and the media. Its to the point where personal views are ok, only if they fit in to the lefts/media agenda.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:33 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
More stupidity from the fascist liberal State-

Boston mayor’s letter to Chick-fil-A: Stay out of Boston!

LOL he can cry all he wants you know they're coming and setting up shop in Bahhhston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies