Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 04:58 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I wonder if you know what FREEDOM means. Now THAT is sad.
What an individual does with his money is no business of anyone in a free society, as long as it is within the laws of the land. That is no reason to boycott and attempt to FORCE someone to subscribe to YOUR views/principles/values.

Mayor? you mean Mayor mumbles? I know him well.

I think the business is very appropriate on the Freedom Trail. As for the Holocaust Memorial being cited as reason for its inappropriateness there, do you realize that Christians in this country are staunch supporters of Israel?
How can you possiblty construct something like that first papagraph? The people boycotting have the same right to not spend their money in a chicken joint if they choose not to. Why do you see it as right and just for the chicken joint but not for the people that feel offended??? You want to force gays to eat there? That's how ridiculous your post comes off.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:01 PM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Not Jewish. One cannot be Messianic and Jewish - you can be a Christian who follows Jewish principles but as long as you worship an idol and false prophet, you are not Jewish and therefore are likely living in sin.

So, are you? If so, on what grounds do you have to stand on to deny gay marriage?
HMMM???

Who's the bigot now. (notice this was a statement and not a question)

Old 07-25-2012, 05:09 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Thought police. Opinion police.
We can no longer think for we might be boycotted.
If people boycotted everything and everybody that they disagreed with, there would be absolutely no businesses at all. If you have a certain boundary that you will not cross, then so be it, but something like this? It's an iffy issue at best because it's just some opinion of someone who legally can't discriminate, and the company has to follow the same laws as everyone else. Sheesh.
You'd be surprised how many real bigots there are out there running the government and companies.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
There is also no reason to donate so much as 1 cent to an organization I do not support. Buying something from Chickfila means that I would be giving financial support to organizations I find reprehensible. That is freedom.

No, it would mean you are getting great food (good product, made in the USA).

So you do know that homosexuals were targeted in the concentration camps, right? They were given pink triangles and treated particularly cruely. Supporting Israel (which is done for inappropriate reasons) does not negate the bad things that many Christians support in THIS country that affects your fellow citizens.
Concentration camps have no connection to Christians. That was discussed ad nauseum in other topics and is off topic here. As long as we are OT, you do know that scores of Christians lost their lives defending and hiding Jews from the Nazis, and that there is a street in Israel named for the righteous gentiles who did this?

I didn't bring up the Holocaust Museum as a reason to prohibit a Christian owned business in that location.

It's amazing how convoluted liberals' arguments become in an effort to support a particular point. Throw all the arguments in a pot and somewhere in there they'l find a satisfactory conclusion...eventually...even if it doesn't make sense to anyone else.

Freedom also means allowing differences of opinion, and respecting the other person in spite of that difference. Just because someone is gay I would not work to take away that person's livelihood. That doesn't mean I have to agree with him on that particular issue, though I might agree with him on many other things.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
How can you possiblty construct something like that first papagraph? The people boycotting have the same right to not spend their money in a chicken joint if they choose not to. Why do you see it as right and just for the chicken joint but not for the people that feel offended??? You want to force gays to eat there? That's how ridiculous your post comes off.
Please don't put words in my mouth. I don't care where they eat, but it's a stretch to boycott because of the owner's beliefs. What if you didn't know what those beliefs are? Oh, my! you'd be supporting someone who gives money where you don't think it should go! we probably do this all the time in more transactions than we realize. Can you sleep at night?

Old 07-25-2012, 05:17 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,102 times
Subscribed, this thread could break records. Carry on

Old 07-25-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F40 View Post
Subscribed, this thread could break records. Carry on
Enjoy!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:19 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Thought police. Opinion police.
We can no longer think for we might be boycotted.
If people boycotted everything and everybody that they disagreed with, there would be absolutely no businesses at all. If you have a certain boundary that you will not cross, then so be it, but something like this? It's an iffy issue at best because it's just some opinion of someone who legally can't discriminate, and the company has to follow the same laws as everyone else. Sheesh.
You'd be surprised how many real bigots there are out there running the government and companies.
The owner was not merely "thinking" about his disdain for gay rights, he is actively supporting that agenda by donating money to see that gays will never achieve the rights afforded to them under our Constitution. He was being proactive in denying civil right to gay civilians. Pretty cut and dry.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Christians follow Jesus. Jesus did not throw out the Ten Commandments but He did fulfill many laws of the Old testament so we don't follow everything in the Old Testament now. The Jews still do though. Jesus did not throw out the law against men having sex with men even if some gays want us to believe even Jesus was a gay man now. I won't believe in that perversion----call me old fashioned.
Where did you get the list of the laws that were thrown out versus the laws that are still applicable?

It seems awfully convenient that Jesus decided to throw out the laws that prohibited things that straight Western style Christians like to do - get tattoos, eat shellfish, shave their beards, commit adultery but kept the gay hate laws intact.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:21 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,543 times
I dont have problems with boycotting. But this is going beyond a boycott. This is getting to the level of you basically want them shut down for having their own opinion.

No where do they discriminate. Do they say they wont serve gays? Do they say gay people cant work there? No. They arent putting any anti-gay ads either. Would it make you feel better if they have two dudes in their next ads, wearing short shorts feeding each other chicken?

You are boycotting the owners personal view on gay gay marriage. Which is not hateful, he just doesnt believe it's right, simple as that. So that is supposed to result in all this hate towards the company and the people who work there? All this crap now with politicians saying "you aint gonna have a restaurant in my town" ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies