Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If what he or she believes in is discrimination, then it is discrimination regardless of whether they stand up for it or not.
So, then discrimination is in the eye of the beholder? All subjective, is it? As in, if I FEEL/BELIEVE I have been offended, then you must apologize (even if you didn't commit an offense?) It's what I feel that matters, right? If I FEEL I have been discriminated against, then I have been, right?

What happened to law? Are we a nation of feelings, not a nation of laws? all the other situations you mentioned are matters that pertain to existing law. Don't like them? work with your legislators to change them. Don't try to convince ME that your position is right. It just might be that I don't FEEL it is right, therefore, by your own argument, your position isn't right.

Like going around in circles like that?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes59 View Post
What the heck is going on with the Chick Fil A and this boycott of their business? Is America simply going CRAZY?
today was the first time i had chick fil a. had to see what was all the fuss about! its a very good sandwich. don't go out to eat much, but it will be on my list of to go rest.we have a mayor of Chicago and an alderman banning a chick fil a rest. from opening in Chicago. really seeing how much power this elected officials have given themselves. how is it possible they can do this? what are they dictators, have we become Russia. something has to be done. these dictators do not have that right to ban someone just because they don't like their politics. am i the only one that sees this?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,670,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Arguments like these sound like they're coming from insecure people with a persecution complex.

I beg to disagree. A person standing up for -- and supporting -- what he or she believes in is NOT discrimination. Just think it through for a moment.

Maybe re-read the Constitution and Bill of Rights and apply the principles fairly and objectively to the case at hand.
Can you quote the part of the constitution that spells out the right to a building permit?

Thanks.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
This was your question, asking for an example of companies not allowed to build in Boston.
There are many reasons why a company may not build somewhere. Some legit, some not. I'm not going to discuss a general statement.

Quote:
These are the names of companies that are not allowed in Boston
There are WalMarts all around Boston. I do not know the area to comment. I read a few articles. One where the people didn't want it and WalMart backed off saying that their studies showed the profitability in that area wouldn't make sense. Likely an excuse but people can state up front that they will not support it and if WalMart thinks they won't and decides not to build that's legit.

I saw another in a old market area that the city wanted to leave that way. Many cities discourage or stop development in areas like this. I don't have a problem with that as long as all new ventures are treated the same.

Quote:
What else besides teh name of companies would be an answer to this question. Ice Cream Cones? Give me a break!
WHY? The reasons used. As I stated, some are legit, some are not.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
One more time: Not agreeing with any view a liberal or a gay/lesbian/bi holds does NOT translate to fueling discrimination.
You're doing it again. You're drawing away from the specific controversy in question. We're not talking about "not agreeing with any view a liberal or gay/lesbian/bi holds"; we're talking about wanting to keep gays from being able to get married and adopt while heterosexuals can do both. There is no word more fitting for this than discrimination, sorry.

And the only reason we never get anywhere on this subject is that people like you won't just admit you have no evidence to support your opinion. If this thread should become just another thread exposing this trend of the anti-gay crowd, then so be it. Better than hiding from the real issue, acting like this is all about boycotts in general.

There are REASONS this boycott (and protesting here, if any) is justified, and you've been (and will continue to be) given them, like it or not.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Sifting through your attitude, I can't help but notice you didn't answer the question or acknowledge the point
Which point is that, trying to equate the definition of marriage with racial bigotry? There is no comparison.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:43 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Which point is that, trying to equate the definition of marriage with racial bigotry? There is no comparison.
Sure there is if your definition of marriage incorporates racial bigotry.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
You're doing it again. You're drawing away from the specific controversy in question. We're not talking about "not agreeing with any view a liberal or gay/lesbian/bi holds"; we're talking about wanting to keep gays from being able to get married and adopt while heterosexuals can do both. There is no word more fitting for this than discrimination, sorry.

And the only reason we never get anywhere on this subject is that people like you won't just admit you have no evidence to support your opinion. If this thread should become just another thread exposing this trend of the anti-gay crowd, then so be it. Better than hiding from the real issue, acting like this is all about boycotts in general.

There are REASONS this boycott (and protesting here, if any) is justified, and you've been (and will continue to be) given them, like it or not.
And you'll continue to be told that marriage is God's Will to be between a man and a woman. Rationalize and justify till you lose your breath. One way or another, you hopefully will realize that fact.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
And you'll continue to be told that marriage is God's Will to be between a man and a woman. Rationalize and justify till you lose your breath. One way or another, you hopefully will realize that fact.
Maybe God should smote the next gay couple that gets married then.

Meanwhile government should provide equal protection under the law.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Maybe God should smote the next gay couple that gets married then.

Meanwhile government should provide equal protection under the law.

and.....cut
that's a wrap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies